Help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Got Philk?

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Arizona, Tacoma, Philadelphia ,Atlanta, LA...
I don't know where else to write this so I'm going to just confess it here I guess.

Ever since I've seen film or pictures of the tsunami disaster, all I want to do is drop everything here and go help in whatever way I can either in Sri Lanka, India, or now Indonesia. People I talk to either think I'm joking or think I'm crazy.

The problem is I don't know how to get there or how to find if any groups are going. I don't want to just donate money b/c I really don't have any. I just want to help.

I realize because of limited supplies and aid, groups probably won't be going soon, but If anyone knows of any group or organization that is forming a trip there, could you reply here? Thanks much.
Phil

Hey, I think that's a great cause, and I respect that. I don't think your weird.

I get urges to do things like that sometimes... and I hate the feeling that I won't ever be able to make a difference in things.

I don't know any gorups or anyting, but I'm sure if you snoop around on the web, or talk to some officals here at interference, then you'll find some answers.

Nothing is stronger than the heart of a volunteer.

"one more, in the name of love..."

Philk, as much as I understand your sentiment, and your heart is certainly in the right place can I please ask that you DONT go to the effected areas.

There is no shortage of people in the area. What they really need is supplies. The only people from outside the area that would be needed are:
* water engineers
* doctors
* nurses
* emergency clean up people

All of these people will be recruited via industry contacts.

I can understand you wanting to assist but really the best thing you can do is raise awareness and/or funds in your local area.

If you are interested in assisting long term there are programs that you can join that will send you to a developing nation for 6 months, a year whatever. But the people attending these programs only do so after an intensive series of interviews, and much study into the local culture. And they are not usually sent to places that are currently declared a State of Emergency.

Throwing yourself at the problem wont help the local people. You would be one more mouth to feed, one more sanitation raising problem.

Use your kind thoughts. Raise awareness in your local community, volunteer at a branch of your local aid agency, hold a garage sale and donate the proceeds.

Theres many many ways you can assist. :up:

That;s a good point, beli.

I should remember it, because sometimes I just want to rush in and help things.... and it's hard for me, but sometimes it's better to wait and figure out the best thing to do, even if you can't do things the way you'd like.

....hmmm......

Well, best of luck to those unfortunate people
ANd I hope you can find what you're looking for, GP

Think globally, but in this instance, act locally. It's possible to volunteer at home and in some manner affect the victims over there positively.

Maybe you can go there and sort? That's what me and a few hundred others from my school did right after Sept. 11. We weren't old enough to help at Ground Zero (I guess you had to be 18 b/c of what they were dealing with and finding there) so they put us to work in an old warehouse right across the river from Manhattan and all we did was sort EVERY donation that came in into HUGE bins. I've never seen so many socks, bottles of water, t-shirts, and batteries in my life! Then, everyday the Red Cross would come over and basically "shop" for exactly what was needed at Ground Zero. It sounds stupid, but we did a LOT of work and if you think about it, donations don't just disappear out of the donors hands and materialize in the hands of those who need them, they have to go through this whole process in between and there's a lot of grunt work than any able bodied person can do but it's not very glamourous so no one thinks to do it.

Contact your local Red Cross ... I am sure they could use your help organizing items that are donated and helping process donations/answering calls from people looking to donate money.

Charity shops here have put appeals on the radio looking for volunteers because they have been overwhelmed with goods that need sorting. Maybe charity shops where you live also need extra help?

I know how you feel. :up:

I would just like to back up what JA and Beli said. We've been greatly affected here as well. My Dad has many friends in Thailand. We also own some property there as well. I'm always happy to hear when people are wanting to help. You can always talk to your local Red Cross. I'm sure they are out in numbers seeking help right about now. Another thing you can do is seek out your local consulate. That's what we did actually.

Back
Top Bottom