do you ever find it hard to motivate yourself?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MooMoo!

New Yorker
like, say youve got something you need to do and you say to yourself "right, ill do this tomorrow" and 2 days later youre sitting there with the thing not done wondering what happened?:| or you cant concentrate enough to even think about doing something you REALLY need to do?

i just find with homework/school etc, i really cant concentrate and make myself work. not because i dont WANT to, i just...cant. :huh: i dont know if that makes sense.

is there anyway you can help yourself concentrate more?! :scream:

well...i guess ill have to come up with another excuse as to why my coursework isnt done. :lol:

i wish i lived in Ireland. all they do is one big exam at teh end of the year. no coursework. :(

MooMoo! said:

i wish i lived in Ireland. all they do is one big exam at teh end of the year. no coursework. :(

I knew there was a reason I need to move there. :tsk:

seriously though, I have the exact same problem...mostly with schoolwork, it's not that I don't do it just that I end up doing everything at 2 in the morning. which has worked for me so far but I'm afraid it's going to catch up with me. :uhoh:

and even stupid things...like I wanted to take my dog on a walk this morning, but now it's 1 in the afternoon and I'm sitting here not even dressed to go outside.

sometimes putting music on helps me concentrate, sort of...well not really...lol

......... Did someone else just make a thread like this? sounds familiar

anyway, )though it feels like dejavu(....
it's not motivation, it's momentum

You don't find motivation. You can make excuses, or take the path of least resistance...... but there is no "motivation". Different insentives and such

You MAKE motivation, when it comes down to those important things taht you don't feel like doing. I'm no expert at producing this potent product, no, but I know how to do it. It takes some fine courage and ass whoopin capability to do it, but anyone can.

It's another one of those things -motivation- that is already inside of you. Heh.......

They should put it as one of those (how many?) amino acids that your body produces naturally (at least this kind of motivation), and say that it's not found outside of the body.

9 and 13 are numbers that come to head, but I've been out of bio for a while now.

ug, and I'm hungry................ it's easier to post than it is to make breakfast though :(

MooMoo! said:
like, say youve got something you need to do and you say to yourself "right, ill do this tomorrow" and 2 days later youre sitting there with the thing not done wondering what happened?:| or you cant concentrate enough to even think about doing something you REALLY need to do?

i just find with homework/school etc, i really cant concentrate and make myself work. not because i dont WANT to, i just...cant. :huh: i dont know if that makes sense.

is there anyway you can help yourself concentrate more?! :scream:

I'm exactly the same, but i find if i leave it to the last minute i do concentrate, i work really well under pressure, it also helps if a teacher's on my back every 2 seconds, i dont know if this will work for you, but i guess its worth a try!
Well i'm off, got a lot of revision to do, but i hope you sort it out!

inner monologues/post it notes work very well for me:
(examples)
"you've got to do this anyways, there's no way out of it"
"this is your choice, you put yourself in this situation"
"beyond this are even yuckier things that you're going to have to deal with"

It's especially important to remind myself that I am exactly in a situation I have chosen for myself. There is some point to it.

mickey said:
inner monologues/post it notes work very well for me:
(examples)
"you've got to do this anyways, there's no way out of it"
"this is your choice, you put yourself in this situation"
"beyond this are even yuckier things that you're going to have to deal with"

It's especially important to remind myself that I am exactly in a situation I have chosen for myself. There is some point to it.
i tried a simmilar thing last year, by threatening myself to do work. :lol:

alas it didnt help. :|

MooMoo! said:

If I lived in Ireland, I'd probably have severe depression. I don't really have SAD, but where I live it's impossible not to be effected by the weather. It's HOT and humid June - September, but the rest of the year is freezing and gray. Yesterday, we had one little ray of sunshine for about a half hour before it clouded over again. We were almost going to set a new record for days without ANY sun, but that little ray gave us a tie of 15 days straight with NO sun. It's supposed to be snowing now, but we've had this weird weather where the temp hovers at 34/1 and yesterday was the first time it stopped raining freezing rain and slush for three weeks straight. December was no better - we average TWO days with sun in December.

Anyway, my motivation problems have their roots with the weather. I hate cold weather. All of the activities I like to do it exercise, relax, and take my mind off school and work are things I can't do 10 months of the year - ride my bike, go to the beach, just sit outside and read or do homework, walk a dog, etc.

What I try to do is keep a mental list of things I have to get done each evening. Completing one task means I have 1/2 hr free time, so I'll either take 1/2 hr breaks between tasks, or work for a few hours and then stop for an hour, or work nonstop and leave time for a few hours of free time before bed.

Also, make sure you're getting 8 hrs of sleep each night and going to sleep/waking up the same times every day. This will help you with everything - motivation, energy, attitude, health.

fuck yeah I find it hard! With all these bastards around me.

BUT I have to say

I get really good motivation here on the blue crack when I need it and ask for it.

That´s why I love y´all very very much, you know who you are.

I use visual stimuli to motivate myself.
For example: I taped my gym's schedule of classes up at work and leave one folded in the visor in my car. I also keep a "skinny" picture of myself around. :wink:

As for work stuff, I won't put it away. If I have to look at it, it will get done. I'm pretty productive at work. My motivation is not wanting to bring home 5 classes worth of work to grade. :yikes:

I am also a list maker. :drool: I love lists. I love crossing things off my lists. :heart:

Ugh, I'm the kind of person who slacks off until the very last moment and then does things super-fast... I'm a senior in high school, and I've always been pretty smart, so I can scrape by my AP/honors classes with Bs and As doing things that way, but this year it's catching up to me.

Last week I stayed up all night writing two papers, went to school without any sleep, and then tried to drive to the barn to ride my horse that afternoon. I fell asleep at the wheel and drove off the road, luckily just down a small hill into a snowy field, but it really freaked me out. I thought it would make me more motivated, but it really hasn't. I've skipped the past two days of school because I've been sick and there's just too much work for me to do to keep up with.

...Needless to say, the blue crack does NOT help! :wink: It's so tempting to slide my mouse button over to the Interference bookmark instead of doing research. :huh: :scream:

I think I just hate work. :banghead: :help:

ETA: I'm a list-maker too, but I usually only do it for things I enjoy (like shopping :lol: ). Maybe I should try it for non-fun things... :hmm:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

If I lived in Ireland, I'd probably have severe depression. I don't really have SAD, but where I live it's impossible not to be effected by the weather. It's HOT and humid June - September, but the rest of the year is freezing and gray. Yesterday, we had one little ray of sunshine for about a half hour before it clouded over again. We were almost going to set a new record for days without ANY sun, but that little ray gave us a tie of 15 days straight with NO sun. It's supposed to be snowing now, but we've had this weird weather where the temp hovers at 34/1 and yesterday was the first time it stopped raining freezing rain and slush for three weeks straight. December was no better - we average TWO days with sun in December.

In this part of Canada (Newfoundland and Labrador) we probably suffer from ASS (All Season Syndrome).:( Recently, we've had a week where the temperature fluctuations were absolutely whacky. It would be sunny and 13 degrees Celsius one day, blowing snow and -13 the next. We like to say the weather builds character in this province. Suffice it to say, we have a lot of character.

In terms of being motivated, I love to use music and walking as a kind of reward system, or sometimes as a way to get the cobwebs out and generate ideas. I also try to get all of my work done during the day, although I often fail miserably :happy:

amerrydeath said:
...I fell asleep at the wheel and drove off the road, luckily just down a small hill into a snowy field, but it really freaked me out.

:yikes:

For Honor said:
......... Did someone else just make a thread like this? sounds familiar

I think you're talking about me FH.
I made a similar thread like this a bit ago.

well anyways, for motivation... I uhh.... okay.... uhh...

....I won't lie.
I have none, or actually very little. I'm barely passing through with decent grades this year in high school. Supposedly the year that colleges look at the most :| . Where's the motivation to do homework you ask? I think I listen to music for a half hour before I start... and then I start to unwind... and then I'm on a roll.

by the way, that happens around 12 AM. haha. Then I'll end up going to bed around 3 or 4.. sometimes never, I pull an all nighter. :|

my problem is lack of motivation and too much procrastination. very unbalanced. :slant:

WildHoneyAlways said:
I am also a list maker. :drool: I love lists. I love crossing things off my lists. :heart:

I've gotten into the habit of writing post-it notes. I keep a bunch on my dresser so I can write down things I have to do the next day right before I go to bed. It kind of helps clear my mind and helps me relax. I will also write post-it notes for my homework. I write down everything I have to do for each subject on a separate sticky note. When I finish a subject, I get to crumble the post-it note and try and make a basket in the trash. Key word TRY. :hyper:

my problem is lack of motivation and too much procrastination. very unbalanced.

Oh don't we all have that problem. :| That's such a bad combination, but it's very common.

I think I listen to music for a half hour before I start... and then I start to unwind... and then I'm on a roll. by the way, that happens around 12 AM. haha. Then I'll end up going to bed around 3 or 4...

Music is great. I listen to music almost the entire time while I do my homework. I think it's the only thing that gets me through it. But, I also don't get around to doing my homework until after 10 pm. My biological clock says I'm a late night person, so I do work best later at night. But, at the same time, I struggle to get up and stay awake all day at school. I wish I was motivated to start my work early and finish early.

blindinglights7 said:

But, I also don't get around to doing my homework until after 10 pm. My biological clock says I'm a late night person, so I do work best later at night. But, at the same time, I struggle to get up and stay awake all day at school. I wish I was motivated to start my work early and finish early.

:yes: My problem is I also am a morning person--which leaves not a lot of time for sleeping! I really like relaxing in the morning before everyone gets up and so I can have time to eat breakfast and such. Maybe I need a night job. :lol:

youtooellen said:

I think you're talking about me FH.
I made a similar thread like this a bit ago.

well anyways, for motivation... I uhh.... okay.... uhh...

....I won't lie.
I have none, or actually very little. I'm barely passing through with decent grades this year in high school. Supposedly the year that colleges look at the most :| . Where's the motivation to do homework you ask? I think I listen to music for a half hour before I start... and then I start to unwind... and then I'm on a roll.

by the way, that happens around 12 AM. haha. Then I'll end up going to bed around 3 or 4.. sometimes never, I pull an all nighter. :|

I know how it goes. I wonder if I will ever really set myself to a schedule. Schedules can be somewhat boring...

I remember when I used to define my life in terms of school home, eat, sleep (sleep at night, school during day)

I wonder what variation of that I will come back to when I start college

Music is great. I listen to music almost the entire time while I do my homework. I think it's the only thing that gets me through it. But, I also don't get around to doing my homework until after 10 pm. My biological clock says I'm a late night person, so I do work best later at night. But, at the same time, I struggle to get up and stay awake all day at school. I wish I was motivated to start my work early and finish early.

I remember trying to avoid listening to music while I do my homework, but I had a really hard time. I think I have this problem with doing my work in silence. I needs sounds to concentrate, which makes sense because in libraries I have a hard time doing my homework too. :shrug:

when I do my homework late at night, my brain goes into gear really quickly, whereas when I do my schoolwork at around 5 PM or in the morning. I get distracted too easily. I feel more on task when I start my homework later.

amerrydeath said:

:yes: My problem is I also am a morning person--which leaves not a lot of time for sleeping! I really like relaxing in the morning before everyone gets up and so I can have time to eat breakfast and such. Maybe I need a night job. :lol:

:ohmy: You're a morning person and a night person?!

I do like the idea of being up really early, before everyone else, because it is so peaceful. But I just can't bring myself to get up earlier than 6:00 am to get ready to go to school. It's not enough sleep. Plus, I'm not very motivated in the mornings. I'd rather be sleeping. I get NOTHING done in 2nd hour study hall because I'm too sleepy. But I can be wide awake at midnight.

youtooellen said:

I remember trying to avoid listening to music while I do my homework, but I had a really hard time. I think I have this problem with doing my work in silence. I needs sounds to concentrate

:yes: If I don't have music or the tv on in the background I get so distracted. My mind will start to wander and even the littlest things will bother me, like the faintest sound of the washing machine or a piece of hair in my face.

It seems like the opposite. People would be distracted if there was something prominent going on in the background as opposed to silence. But that's not the case for me. There are some people I know who have to have complete silence to work. :shrug:

I'm really bad about making lists too...I even keep pad and pen by the bed because I think of a lot of stuff in the middle of the night :|

blindinglights7 said:

:ohmy: You're a morning person and a night person?!

I do like the idea of being up really early, before everyone else, because it is so peaceful. But I just can't bring myself to get up earlier than 6:00 am to get ready to go to school. It's not enough sleep. Plus, I'm not very motivated in the mornings. I'd rather be sleeping. I get NOTHING done in 2nd hour study hall because I'm too sleepy. But I can be wide awake at midnight.

I love being awake in the morning, it's so refreshing. It may be I just like it when there's not a lot of people around, so I like it late at night and early in the morning. :shrug:

amerrydeath said:

I love being awake in the morning, it's so refreshing. It may be I just like it when there's not a lot of people around, so I like it late at night and early in the morning. :shrug:

:up: That's a good point. I suppose I like being awake really early, but I can't do a late night and then get up early the next morning. Or, if I do that, I don't get that refreshed feeling.

Back
Top Bottom