Being Harrassed & Threatened

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonochick

Halloweenhead
Staff member
Kind of long, please bear with me...

1988 - First grade: I met my future best friend and another boy in class that I despised. He was mean and picked on me, typical elementary school stuff.

Okay, now I can skip a lot of years and go to...

2000 - Senior year of high school: While walking to my locker, I'm shocked to see my best friend and that boy I've disliked for so many years holding hands. Seemingly overnight, they became a couple. Yikes. My little high school world crashes down.

2003: I'm the maid of honor in their wedding. I'm beyond crushed that they are getting married, but I wanted to stand by my best friend.

2005: She files for divorce. He takes my cell phone number from her phone and calls me up, crying, begging me to talk to her so that they will get back together. I tell him flat out that I don't know why he would expect me to help. I never liked him. He was always mean to me. I didn't feel he treated her well. He threatened to kill himself. We continued talking, but I stood by what I had said.

Ever since then, he's been calling me. He blocks his number so I don't see him on my caller ID before answering. Sometimes, he will go months without calling, but then it starts back up again. Sometimes, all he will do is just breathe into the phone. Other times, he will call me a bitch, or tell me to kill myself. He just called me earlier this morning and said, "Consider suicide before I get to you."

Unless he's moved from our hometown (doubtful), he lives about 8 hours from me. My best friend (well, ex-best friend now...) had gotten a restraining order against him, so he turned all of the attention on me. People have said I should get a restraining order as well, but I have no information on him, and when he calls he blocks his number. I know it's him though.

I've resisted changing my phone number because:

1. I've had this number since my dad and I moved downstate almost 7 years ago. I don't have a land line, so this is my main number for everything.

2. I didn't want to give him the satisfaction of doing stuff that would drive me to make a change like that.

Now I'm also afraid that if I change my number, which is his only way to harrass me, that he will get mad and will come looking for me.

Ernie always says that I should just hang up and not let it bother me because all he wants is a reaction out of me. But this last call scared me to the point of crying, and I'm still sitting just feeling shaken. I'm not sure what to do or if anything can even be done. Because of the blocked calls, I don't have any concrete proof, but I know it's him.

Last edited:
Wow... Sounds like a fucking freak to me... So instead of blaming himself he has decided to somehow blame you for his failed marriage? Sorry, that doesn't fly with me.

I would strongly suggest changing your phone number, if this guy is as crazy as he sounds however, you might even consider recording him the next time he calls you and taking it to the police.

Find a way to record the calls, if you can. Go to the police. Start the process of getting a restraining order. I don't think you can overact in a situation like this.

I see where you're coming from with the possibility of not wanting to change your number, but don't let it go on to the point that he really does snap and tries to do something stupid. I'd change the number before he does really go on with this much more than it has. If it gives him a little satisfaction.....so what. At least you'll be safe.
You don't know just how psycho he is now or will get in the future. And I agree, record him or atempt to if he calls again and you've not changed your number.

Thanks for the replies. :hug:

I also got lots of urging at another board to call the police, so I did. I called the police back home...they knew right away who I was talking about. It sounds like he still lives where he used to, and the officer said that it was technically out of their jurisdiction (same zip code, but out in the county). He gave me the sheriff's number to call. I did, and there was no deputy available, so they took my name a number. I got a call back, and he took down all of my information. I told him what was said today and gave him a log of recent calls I'd pulled from my phone. He said he is going to file a complaint.

It all just has me kind of freaked out though. I kept just wanting to ignore it in hopes of him getting bored, but it's just getting worse. I don't want to sound overly paranoid, but you see lots of violent stuff in the news. I don't want to be a headline.

and none of us wants you to be a headline either. That's why we urged you too, to call the police. I'm glad you did.
People that do crap like that, they rarely get bored of it. They usually just push and push and push until they've really gone off the deep end themselves.

sulawesigirl4 said:
Find a way to record the calls, if you can. Go to the police. Start the process of getting a restraining order. I don't think you can overact in a situation like this.

I agree. My parents both work in law enforcement, so I've heard a lot of scary stories. Just the fact that the officer knew who you were talking about when you called is a sign that you did the right thing. Sorry that you have to be going through this :hug:

Calling the police is definately the right decision. I'd listen to what they have to say before taking any further action. But make sure they get back to you. Call again in a day or so if you haven't heard from them. If they tell you it'd be a good idea to change your number, then change it.

He's 8 hours away? Is that across state lines? Federal offense there; plus making terroristic threats? Being divorced could be the least of his problems very quickly.

I have concern for my sister. She lives in the same town as he does, and I'm certain he knows of her. I called to fill her in on what was going on, and she said she sees him around town sometimes. :crack: At least now she will know to not talk to him or anything. It scares me that he might start bothering her, since I'm so much farther away. I mean, I don't want her to worry, but I just want her to be aware.

Change your number immediately. Seriously, what's a little inconvenience in exchange for not having to get these calls anymore? People change their number all the time for lesser things. It may be annoying to get a new number to give to everyone, but really, I wouldn't even think twice at this point.

And let the police handle the rest.

Im so sorry that that you are having to go through this :hug: Relieved that you did in fact call the police though and something is being done about it.

I have to agree with the others I would change my number also just to be safe. Being involved in the law field it's really frightening to read what people will actually do. I don't want to see you or anyone in your family harmed :hug:

Very scary. Glad you called the police. I agree with the others suggesting you change your number as well.

Can you set up your phone so that blocked #'s don't ring through. Then any message would go to voicemail and be recorded? Then you could use that as a log. I'm glad you called the police :hug:

I found this which I thought was interesting.

--------------------

What can I do to stop harassing calls without going to the phone company or police?

First, simply hang up on the caller. Do not engage in conversation. Typical crank callers are seeking attention. You have "made their day" if you say something to them or express shock or anger.

If the silent treatment does not work, you might try putting a message like this on your voice mail system:

I'm sorry I/we can't come to the phone right now but you must leave a message. I/we are receiving annoyance calls and the phone company has a trap on this line. If you do not leave a message I/we will assume that you are the annoyance caller and this call will be traced.

If you answer the phone and the harassing caller is on the line, another suggestion is to say: "Operator, this is the call." Then hang up. Or say the word "trap," what time it is and the date; then hang up.

What is the "pressure valve" strategy?

Some threatening calls are part of a larger pattern of abuse, such as stalking. Some experts recommend in these situations to get a new phone number, but keep the phone number being called by the harasser and attach a voice mail machine or message service to that line. Turn the phone's ringer off and don't use that phone line for anything other than capturing the calls of the harasser.

This is the pressure valve strategy. The harasser will continue to call the unused number and will think that he/she is getting through. Instead, you are simply using the number to gather evidence. You will want to save tape recordings of the calls.Get another phone number for your use, and be sure it's unlisted and unpublished. Give the number to trusted friends and relatives only. Do not give it to your bank, credit card company or credit bureau. Put passwords on all of your phone accounts (local, long distance, and mobile). Tell the phone companies in writing that they must not disclose any account information to anyone but yourself, and only when the correct password is given.

elevated_u2_fan said:
Wow... Sounds like a fucking freak to me... So instead of blaming himself he has decided to somehow blame you for his failed marriage? Sorry, that doesn't fly with me.

I would strongly suggest changing your phone number, if this guy is as crazy as he sounds however, you might even consider recording him the next time he calls you and taking it to the police.

took the words right out of me

you did the right thing contacting the police. You are never overreacting if someone is threatening to take your life! Omg what a fucking nutcase!!!
I think you need to write down everything he said -what he looks like, his background etc etc, and give it to the police.

He cannot be allowed to do this! Get a restraining order on his because if he then calls - bang he's in jail.

stay safe! :hug:

redkat said:
Can you set up your phone so that blocked #'s don't ring through.

The only problem with that is that my boyfriend has a blocked number...so that means that when he calls me, it shows up as a blocked number too. I don't know why he feels he needs a blocked number, it's not like he's the Pope or something. If it wasn't for that, I would just never even answer calls from blocked numbers. I only do it when I'm not with Ernie, in case he's the one that's calling.

anitram said:
Change your number immediately. Seriously, what's a little inconvenience in exchange for not having to get these calls anymore? People change their number all the time for lesser things. It may be annoying to get a new number to give to everyone, but really, I wouldn't even think twice at this point.

And let the police handle the rest.

The deputy called me. He said they went out to see him yesterday, and he has denied making any calls to me since that one call in 2005 after she had filed for divorce from him. Now, I know for a fact that isn't true, because he still called me several times after without blocking his number after that happened. He only started blocking it once I stopped answering. Some of those calls also included him saying, "Stay away from my [my friend's name]!!!" So those calls were definitely him.

IF...IF...it isn't him...which I highly doubt...then I want to know who it is. For now, I'd just be happy finding out which number is attached to the call I got yesterday. I called my cell phone company, and they said they can get that information, but they need for a police report to be filed and for an officer to contact them for the information...which is exactly what I have going. I left a voicemail for the deputy handling this with a number he can call for my cell phone company.

Last edited:
Bonochick said:
The only problem with that is that my boyfriend has a blocked number...so that means that when he calls me, it shows up as a blocked number too. I don't know why he feels he needs a blocked number, it's not like he's the Pope or something. If it wasn't for that, I would just never even answer calls from blocked numbers. I only do it when I'm not with Ernie, in case he's the one that's calling.

You can unblock your number before you call someone by pressing *82 before the number :yes:

I totally understand about not wanting to change your number. This guy doesnt know where you live does he?

I didn't know that about unblocking. Thanks! I'll have to tell Ernie.

I don't know if he knows where I live or not. He knows where my sister lives though. When him and my friend were still married, they'd come over there when I was in town visiting (I always stay with my sister).

also, i don't know about other cell companies, but i know t-mobile can't (or perhaps won't) block blocked calls from calling you (or any number at all really). it seems kinda silly though, our lindline call rejects any calls using caller id blocking, so i don't see why cell lines can't do this too.

hopefully now though that a deputy has gone to see him, he'll cut it out. :hug:

The first time he tries anything involving your sister---a phone call, harrassing her on the street, she should go to the police immediately as well and let them know she's been contacted or attempted to be contacted by him and remind them that you called them as well.

Back
Top Bottom