U.S. Ambassador Killed Over Anti-Islam Movie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And Romney, douche that he may be, has every right to criticize Obama on his foreign policy.

If it turns out that we did, indeed, have 48 hours notice of potential attacks on our embassy, in a dangerous country, on a day when security should be heightened as it is regardless... and we allowed this to happen, and secure documents got out as well...

Yea, it should be discussed in the campaign, it will be discussed, and it could end up costing Obama the presidency.

Except, did Romney criticize Obama about this? ^

If the notice and documents are true then yes, it will be be a big part of the campaign and it would more than likely cost Obama. I haven't seen what the source is on this, just the talking heads spinning it, so I'm not sure how serious to take it.

maycocksean said:
Two of the characters in the film had the names Condalisa and Hillary. . .

And another named George. Makes me wonder if these actors are telling the truth or were desperate for work or were horribly naive about this filming.

Romney wasn't criticizing Obama about any documents or warnings, there wasn't even any knowledge of such things when he said what he said. I don't know about that either, haven't read anything about it.

And another named George. Makes me wonder if these actors are telling the truth or were desperate for work or were horribly naive about this filming.

Yes but apparently 'George' was turned into Mohamed. And there are some very obvious overdubs that look like the actors are mouthing George but the audio says 'Mohamed'.

The worse part is that apparently these actors, at least some, did this for free. :crack:

Regardless of the reason for the attack, its clear that the US Ambassador did NOT have the security he needed. This is the first US Ambassador to be killed since 1979. The Ambassador should of had security to defend against the 20 or so attackers. While its true that not every consulate or embassy through out the world can be armed to the teeth, this was a consulate in a country that had just experienced a war and major upheaval. There should have been heavier security and plans to move in more force quickly and or the ability to evacuate key personal on the ground if need be. But considering that the firefight that led to the Ambassador's death lasted 5 hours, this obviously was not the case.

Yes but apparently 'George' was turned into Mohamed. And there are some very obvious overdubs that look like the actors are mouthing George but the audio says 'Mohamed'.

The worse part is that apparently these actors, at least some, did this for free. :crack:

For example, at 9:03 in the trailer, Garcia berates her husband, who wants to send their daughter to Muhammed: "Is your Muhammed a child molester?" she says in the final product. But the words are dubbed over what she actually said. The line in the script—and the line Garcia gave during filming—was, "is your God a child molester," Garcia told us today.

the original version is just as bad as the dubbed version in that case! i mean fecksakes, the "film" was set in Egypt apparently, which "God" did she think she was talking about, Buddha? of course a line like that is going to be offensive!

either way the script and concept are shite - any actor worth his/her salt would have steered clear... the actors are just trying to do some serious damage limitation now they're in deep shit LOL

Any actor worth their salt probably wouldn't have answered a post on Craigslist, seen the set and said this looks great, or worked for free either...:wink:

:lol:

ps- i've worked for free in the past, and loads of actor friends have done too... but i guess it's helpful if you can choose your jobs wisely! lol

Regardless of the reason for the attack, its clear that the US Ambassador did NOT have the security he needed. This is the first US Ambassador to be killed since 1979

Yes it is clear. I just don't understand that, in this post 9/11 world. I get that the embassy is supposed to be an accessible place, but obviously there has ot be a balance. I saw the photo of Amb Stevens being taken out while he was still alive-didn't want to see that but it came on tv last night without warning. He died later, of the smoke inhalation.

This is Glen Doherty, he was a former Navy Seal. From Winchester MA. 42 years old.

doherty-articleInline.jpg

NY Times

For Slain Contractor, a Life of Risks Overseas
By JESS BIDGOOD

BOSTON — For Glen A. Doherty, being assigned to a high-stakes security detail in Libya was just one of over a decade’s worth of adventurous overseas missions he had participated in as a security contractor and a member of the Navy SEALs.

“He’s been overseas many, many times, defending this country,” said Mr. Doherty’s younger sister, Kate Quigley. “He was highly trained and really good.”

Mr. Doherty, 42, was with the American ambassador, J. Christopher Stevens, in a diplomatic compound in Benghazi on Tuesday when militants stormed the gates. He was killed, Ms. Quigley said, along with Mr. Stevens, Sean Smith and Tyrone S. Woods.

A native of Winchester, Mass., Mr. Doherty worked as a ski instructor in Utah in his 20s, and remarked that if he did not settle on a career path by the age of 30, he would join the SEALs.

According to Ms. Quigley, Mr. Doherty was a sniper on the rescue mission for Pfc. Jessica D. Lynch when she was held as a prisoner of war in Iraq, and was among the troops who captured Saddam Hussein’s palaces during the invasion of the country.

But it was rare, she said, that he would talk about his experiences. “For him, that was his work,” Ms. Quigley said, explaining that her brother preferred to revel in the periods he could spend at home with his family and friends.

He was unmarried at the time of his death and had no children, but his sister said he cast a wide, warm social net.

“He has one brother, but if you asked, there’s probably 15 guys who would call him their brother,” Ms. Quigley said. “Glen’s family is his friends, and he’s got hundreds of them.”

One of them, Chad Haskell, who grew up next door to the Doherty family, remembered how friends from all walks of Mr. Doherty’s life gathered at his 40th birthday party two years ago.

To them, Mr. Haskell said, Mr. Doherty was a hero long before his death on Tuesday. “He was a hero when he was in the Navy, to his family, to his nephews, to his sister, and brother and parents.”

Mr. Doherty was an advisory board member for the Military Religious Freedom Foundation, which seeks to prevent religious intolerance and proselytizing in the military. “He’s going to be irreplaceable,” said Mikey Weinstein, the organization’s president. “He saw that religious intolerance anywhere leads to violence and blood.”

i'm sure i saw it reported that the US Ambassador and 3 members of security were killed in a car that was hit by a rocket, no??

eta: here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/mid...-egypt-attacks-muhammad-film-live?INTCMP=SRCH

Ambassador 'was attacked in car'
More indications that the US ambassador died in his car, not the consulate building, in Bengahazi.

Reuters, citing an unnamed Libyan official, says the ambassador "had been on his way to a safer venue" after the consulate was attacked.

"The official said the ambassador and three other staff were killed when gunmen fired rockets at his car."

Regardless of the reason for the attack, its clear that the US Ambassador did NOT have the security he needed. This is the first US Ambassador to be killed since 1979. The Ambassador should of had security to defend against the 20 or so attackers. While its true that not every consulate or embassy through out the world can be armed to the teeth, this was a consulate in a country that had just experienced a war and major upheaval. There should have been heavier security and plans to move in more force quickly and or the ability to evacuate key personal on the ground if need be. But considering that the firefight that led to the Ambassador's death lasted 5 hours, this obviously was not the case.

That's pretty easy to say in hindsight, but what do we know of the security right now? Is it any less than it was last year? Year before?

You're embarassing yourself, sting.

i'm sure i saw it reported that the US Ambassador and 3 members of security were killed in a car that was hit by a rocket, no??

I think they were trying to leave (to get him out), but it was also reported that Amb Stevens went back in to try to rescue others. That would explain the smoke inhalation. I don't know all the details and how they could fortify that place enough, ever. Where there's a will there's a way.

I don't know how he could have been dragged from the car alive if the car was annihilated by a rocket-which I assume it would be. Maybe I'm wrong about that. He's alive in the photo that's been shown, and they say he died later at a hospital. I don't know, all kinds of conflicting reports. But the show I saw the photo on said he was alive at that time.

At least we get to see people like this in Libya. I feel sorry for them, that they get lumped in with the others. That's why they're doing this, I assume. And because they genuinely care.

271139_487202987957351_815148092_n.jpg

314228_471465696221409_941667938_n.jpg

image.jpg

My university was evacuated this morning after a bomb threat claiming to be from al-Qaeda. I'm well off campus now and safe but... Jesus.

Just doing some googling on this story about the President/his admin having 48 hours notice about potential attacks being perpetrated on the embassy. The vibe I'm getting is that one source originally reported it(seems like it might've been The Independent, maybe), and then a bunch of far-right-wing sites jumped on it. Just look at these sites that came up in Google.

http://pushbacknow.net/2012/09/14/o...ttack-on-libya-embassy-didnt-warn-ambassador/

Obama Administration Had 48 Hour Warning – Did Nothing ? Mark America

EXPOSED! Obama Was Warned About Libya 48 Hours Prior And Did Nothing

Diplomatic sources: State Department had credible intel 48 hours before attacks that U.S. embassies might be targeted; Update: White House denies ? Hot Air

REPORT: State Department had credible information 48 hours before consulate attacks ? The Right Scoop -

For some reason, the actual content of this page was deleted, but still, just look at the banner on this page.

http://theconservativetreehouse.com...-was-coming-48-hours-notice-they-did-nothing/

I don't know if there's any truth to this, but at the moment it seems like a great deal of the noise surrounding it is coming from far right sources that salivate at this kind of thing.

Yes, I am aware of that. When I was responding to Sean, my point was that there had to have been something suspicious to these actors because the names of the characters were intially related to American politicians. But of course, not everyone can put one and one together.

I reall don't think these actors were as innocent as they want people to believe. Or they were very foolish and naive.

namkcuR said:
Just doing some googling on this story about the President/his admin having 48 hours notice about potential attacks being perpetrated on the embassy. The vibe I'm getting is that one source originally reported it(seems like it might've been The Independent, maybe), and then a bunch of far-right-wing sites jumped on it. Just look at these sites that came up in Google.

http://pushbacknow.net/2012/09/14/obama-had-48-hours-notice-before-attack-on-libya-embassy-didnt-warn-ambassador/

Obama Administration Had 48 Hour Warning – Did Nothing

This is pretty much the state of right wing media these days. There have been 2 stories recently posted here in FYM where multiple outlets all stole lines directly from one source, they all claimed to have evidence yet the original outlet never released their "source". See the Obama lawyer story and the Christian killed on Egyptian tv.

You really just need to plant the seed, facts no longer matter.

trojanchick99 said:
UT and ND State were evacuated due to threats. Positively frightening.

Based on Digitize's location, I'm going with UT.

Yeah, UT-Austin.

That's a nice gesture from the people in Beghazi. I'm glad they also realise that there's a small bunch of idiots out there ruining it for the rest of the muslim population.

The response of the Republican ticket to this event is deplorable and disturbing.

Foreign policy far more than influence on the economy or jobs is where the president can really screw things up.

In light of the Romney/Ryan response, their willingness to not merely stretch the truth but outright misrepresent the situation, I fear a Romeny administration would be disastrous for the country.

My university was evacuated this morning after a bomb threat claiming to be from al-Qaeda. I'm well off campus now and safe but... Jesus.

Valparaiso University (the school I currently attend) was threatened as well. Not sure if the three school threats were related or not, but I know that I received a few warning e-mails today.

oh dear diitze & 212 sorry to hear scary news

namkruR-- :hmm: "interesting" that these sites about" Pres Obama 48 hrs warning did "nothing"...."

when only about a day or so before this happened there wa a Big opinion piece NYTimes (not i think the NYT is a liberal/progressive paper in general, but at times in certain areas) bout how W was warned about Osama pre- 9-11

i remember reading that Pres Clinton /or ?sandy Berger give really strong warnings to pres-elect GWB & staff . were basically ignored

Back
Top Bottom