'My son played Russian roulette with cannabis - and lost'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting read, though the headline is a little sensationalist. I'm sure it's somewhat comforting for the father to look to one substance as the cause of his son's illness, but to demonize it in that way seems unfair. What else was the son doing at the time that could have contributed? Drinking? Lack of sleep? Why not point to those as the root cause? The bottom line is he doesnt know that marijuana triggered the mental illness, but seems to have made that decision himself.

Interesting read, though the headline is a little sensationalist. I'm sure it's somewhat comforting for the father to look to one substance as the cause of his son's illness, but to demonize it in that way seems unfair. What else was the son doing at the time that could have contributed? Drinking? Lack of sleep? Why not point to those as the root cause? The bottom line is he doesnt know that marijuana triggered the mental illness, but seems to have made that decision himself.

Exactly.

I also find this interesting:

Since Henry did not accept there was anything wrong with him, it was doubtful that he would take whatever anti-psychotic drug the doctor prescribed.

We were told that if Henry agreed to take the medication - olanzapine - he would be classed an 'informal' patient and could even leave the hospital. But if he refused to take the olanzapine, he would be 'sectioned' - detained under Section 3 of the Mental Health Act as somebody who is a danger to himself.

I like how everyone's concern is over the marijuana, but nobody seems to think about these anti-psychotic drugs' effects, which, from what I've heard, usually don't help the problem all that much. They might temper things for a while, at best.

Whatever's going on, sad situation all around.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom