Interesting Science Video Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Technology and Emergent Society

Yeah, A robot that that breaks shit seems a bit useless but technology is emergent in nature the knowledge base of robots just increases, a guy on youtube points this out-- 15 years ago I was building robotic mining equipment that used P1 based PLCs and ladder logic--
Today they use processors I don't recognize, do floating point math and use language I don't understand.
Speed / performace WOW
I worry We can all say hello, hello--to a place called technological unemployment---as automation increases, fewer and fewer jobs for people is the place we will be in.

So why not follow the natural course and let machines do the monotonous and boring and dangerous jobs instead of people--the economic system we live is in the opposite direction that technology is taking us to--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWsMdN7HMuA

A more sustainable design for society that is up to date with present knowledge could look something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJfKXbvA5T8&feature=related :hmm:

Love this idea for a thread, unfortunately haven't had a chance to go through this thread and check some of this stuff out. Will do that soon. In the meantime, something new to add in that I just saw online-check this out:

How The Universe Works: Big Stars - Bing Videos

That's just crazy. And cool. And I love that one of the things is named Betelgeuse :D.

Angela

woooah tw1 !
look at that front move in!!!:uhoh:
course i have to look at more of those similar vids lined up at the bottom!:ohmy:

Way back for me while it was "only" the front of one ginormous Thunderhead.... i was looking westward from way upper Manhattan across the Hudson River over to the Palisades - a natural sheer cliff drop-off (forgot :reject: either glacier, or volcanic lava flow over).
Above was begining edge of the cloud, then it curves "inward" to the main towering up mass- which you couldn't see- the next thing you saw above (leading edge) was a double (NEVER Seen THAT before) on top of each other partial curve of the (icing up) anvil.

NO cmaera with me so I sat there and made a quick sketch which I re-did later. Then walked 1/2 mile home, drew pretty similar sight over the small comercial block it was sonme what closer.
It was moving pretty slowly. It took about another half hour before it actaully came over enough to rain!

I wonder how longit took ( the one you high-lighted) to start raining.

IEG
wow that Earth/Moon photo wow
inner chill-thrills!
and the new Mars photos! SO beautiful! So intriging!

I've never forgotten the first time i got to see part of the Moon upclose at a college friend's summer get together. He had a nice telelscope.
Oh My to see the moon's diffeerent sized craters up close, sharp, AND the shadows cast from them by The Sun - really making it REAL!

*has wondered for a long time whether The Edge has been able to buy time at one of the great Visible Light Mirror Telescopes* :lol::drool:

You def have to see more of this stuff Moonlit! I've seen about half of it...def must catch up more myself! :D

:applaud: thanks people!

:applaud:

i'll break out a jumbo bag of marshmallows for the solar collector:lol: !!

actually :lol: with very first static shot of the colllector i couldn't tell the scale! I thot it like ??/ 25 ft in diameter. boy was i suprized to see the actual size!

mimic octipus :lol: facinating. will have google more one them!

It's funny you posted that. I was having a conversation about it (well, a very short conversation) just yesterday

Apparently everyone thought they just scooped it until very recently. It's a fairly new finding

Dogs curl their tongue under to form a ladle:

YouTube - Time Warp - Dog Drinking

On the same (Discovery) show that clip is from, they made one of the cameramen lap water, for comic contrast, and replayed it in slow motion. It was pretty funny: our tongues are relatively rigid and slow, so the best we can do is 'flick' the water foreward and (inadequately) upward, in big messy heaves--kinda like using a spade--with the result that most of it winds up in the nose rather than the mouth.

Scientists capture antimatter atoms in particle breakthrough - CNN

Scientists have captured antimatter atoms for the first time, a breakthrough that could eventually help us to understand the nature and origins of the universe.

Researchers at CERN, the Geneva-based particle physics laboratory, have managed to confine single antihydrogen atoms in a magnetic trap.

This will allow them to conduct a more detailed study of antihydrogen, which will in turn allow scientists to compare matter and antimatter.

Understanding antimatter is one of the biggest challenges facing science -- most theoretical physicists and cosmologists believe that at the Big Bang, when the universe was created, matter and antimatter were produced in equal amounts.

NASA press conference tomorrow:
NASA Astrobiology Press Conference: Have They Made Breakthrough In Search For Extraterrestrial Life?
Has NASA made a breakthrough in the search extraterrestrial life? That's what some are speculating after NASA sent out a curious press release announcing a news conference on Thursday, Dec. 2, to discuss an "astrobiology finding that will impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life."

Live here tomorrow:
NASA - NASA TV

(Not that the agency has ever been politicized :wink: but timing an interesting discovery certainly would help them when it comes to the inevitable budget slashing that is at hand in the government.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom