What pedals do you use for your Edge sound?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MDFan

The Fly
I don't have the need for a rack so I must go with pedals. What is a good pedal for Edge's delay?

Also, what pedal do you use for Edge's overdrive?

For delay you could go for the EHD Memory Man or the Line 6 DL4.

For distortion, I would go for the DM4. It will give you more options for the different types of distortion Edge has used over the years.

You might want to think about one of the floor based multi effects unit. You'll be able to cover a lot more sounds there and be able to save patches.

Hope this helps...

If you can afford it, go an buy a Line 6 Pod XT Live or the classic Pod XT bean model and an Atomic amp. You'll have 95% of Edge's tones minus some of the specific stuff like Mysterious Ways, Numb, Fly, Shimmer, etc. I suggest the Live so that you can switch effects easily, but if you're just playing in your room, go with the bean model.

If you already have an amp, then you might want to think about bypassing the amp modeling in the pod b/c your amp is going to color your tone, especially a tube amp. The combination of "coloring" can sound like crap. That's the nice thing about the Atomic. Also if you get a crappy solid state amp they work pretty well too b/c they are crappy b/c they sound lifeless by themselves which is perfect to use in combination with the Pod.

As far as pedals, the Boss SD-1 or Tubscreamer 9 are the most common distortions used throughout Edge's career. He has also used the Big Muff, OS-2, Ampeg Scrambler, and the DM4. For delays go with either the Memory Man or the DL4 b/c they have the Mod Delay which is the key to Edge's sound. The MXR Dynacomp might be a good addition as well and a good clean booster of some sort (Boss FA1, Dod FX10, Sweet FA, Fulltone FatBoos, Katana Boost).

I use 2 TS-9. On Keeley Mod and one Analogman Mod. A BOSS OD2 for UTEOTW. I have a BOSS SD1, but IMO, the TS9's sound better. Edge is not using the SD1 anymore either.

Line 6 DM4 is a good pedal with Edge is using now, but not useful in a midi/effect loop set up. That is why Line 6 custom made 2 rack units for Edge.

I use a Boss GT-6... it can get pretty close, in fact the "Bad" sound is darn near identical. And in messing around with delays and distortion one day I came across the setting for the intro/chorus of The Fly a la Elevation tour.

I'm so jealous of those of you who've got the Memory Man. :( The only delay pedal I have is the Boss DD-5. Not a bad pedal, but not fantastic either.

Back
Top Bottom