Stay - Acoustic 360

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrnathan15

Acrobat
I did a search for this but didn't find what I was after..

Does anyone know what tuning this is in? I'm assuming it is some open tuning?

Thanks

Stay is down a half step in Eb I do believe. I don't know the whole thing but I'll try and get most of what I do know down. All of this is pretty much me going by videos and by ear so it's not going to be dead on.

The verse pretty much is: E maj - F# maj - A maj
For the part with "You say when he hits you..." is some odd F# chord. Let's call it F# (2): F# (2) - E maj - F# (2) - E maj - F# maj - A maj

Then it goes back to the verse chords only they're strummed. After that it goes back to the weird F# chord progression. Which has a slight variation. After "And when you look, you look through me", which Edge is playing that F# (2) chord, he goes to a B maj(?), which progresses to a C# maj I do believe. I have no idea what chord is after that and I have no guitar atm.

So for the pre-chorus ("And if you look, you look through me"): F# (2) - B maj(?) - C# maj - *unkown chord*

Which is when we hit the chorus.

Chorus: F# (2) - E maj - F# (2) - E maj - F# (2) - A maj - E maj

You would then continue on the verse.

Progression and chord diagram without all the complications below.

Verse: E maj - F# maj - A maj
1st Pre-Chorus thingy ("You say when he hits you..."): F# (2) - E maj - F# (2) - E maj - F# maj - A maj
Back to the verse: E maj - F# maj - A maj
2nd pre-chorus thingy ("And if you look, you look through me..."): F# (2) - B maj(?) - C# maj - *unkown chord*
1st Chorus: F# (2) - E maj - F# (2) - E maj - F# (2) - A maj - E maj
Verse again: E maj - F# maj - A maj
3rd Pre-Chorus thingy ("And if you listen I can't call..."): F# (2) - B maj(?) - C# maj - *unkown chord*
2nd chorus: F# (2) - E maj - F# (2) - E maj...

...then comes the part with "Stay with the demons you drowned...": F# (2) - B maj(?) - C# maj - *unknown chord* - F# (2) - A maj - E maj
Verse Progression again: E maj - F# maj - A maj

Chord diagram

_____ E A D G B e
E maj: 0 2 2 1 0 0
F#ma: 2 4 4 3 0 0
A maj: 5 7 7 6 0 0
F#(2): 2 x x 2 2 x
B maj: x 2 4 4 ? ?
C#ma: 9 11 11 10 9 9

Hope that helps somewhat. There is bound to be someone who knows the song and can help you a lot better.

Haha thanks mirrorballman, and thanks HEAPS theedgeu2, I would have needed to find the chords anyway! :lol: :wink:

I'll give it a play in the morning! :D

Capture_06222011_085053.jpg

IGNORE THAT OUT

Back
Top Bottom