Pedals / combos or both!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bfoster88

The Fly
OK - The guitar has arrived!!

Now its effects shopping!

Is it better to get individual pedals or get a combo effects unit?

Budget wise, I can say get 3-4 pedals in one go or get something like a BOSS GT6 or GT8 (does anyone have any experience of these?)

Im thinking personally, a combo unit will be sufficient - the GT8 looks pretty customisable. It will save setting up the pedals each time i want to play something different - can just recall them from its memory.

Are the tones similar from pedal to unit? ie. The settings on sa a DD6 delay pedal sound the same on a GT8 unit?

any advise would be great!

bfoster88 said:
OK - The guitar has arrived!!

Now its effects shopping!

Is it better to get individual pedals or get a combo effects unit?

Budget wise, I can say get 3-4 pedals in one go or get something like a BOSS GT6 or GT8 (does anyone have any experience of these?)

Im thinking personally, a combo unit will be sufficient - the GT8 looks pretty customisable. It will save setting up the pedals each time i want to play something different - can just recall them from its memory.

Are the tones similar from pedal to unit? ie. The settings on sa a DD6 delay pedal sound the same on a GT8 unit?

any advise would be great!

A question: did you just get your first guitar? If yes, then avoid pedals for a while - learn chords, learn songs, practice for at least a year before you start messing around with pedals and effects and what not. When you can barre chords well, then you're ready for a pedal.

If you're an accomplished intermediate guitar player, then i would try a multifunctional unit like the:Line 6 DM4 Distortion Modeler

You can buy one on ebay for like ~$180 and it's way more useful than a TS-9 distortion pedal which would run $80+ and is much less useful in terms of multifunctionality.
The edge uses 11 on the vertigo tour

Oh no - played guitar for about 6 years (Acoustic) and have had a friends SG (very nice) on loan for a few months.

Wouldnt say im awesome, but would say im good enough to be able to mess around with a few effects etc.

Ill take a look at the Line6 model :)

But isnt that jsut distortion / overdrive?

no delay, chorus etc?

bfoster88 said:
Oh no - played guitar for about 6 years (Acoustic) and have had a friends SG (very nice) on loan for a few months.

Wouldnt say im awesome, but would say im good enough to be able to mess around with a few effects etc.

Ill take a look at the Line6 model :)

But isnt that jsut distortion / overdrive?

no delay, chorus etc?

Sorry for the implication that you were a novice! :) It's just so tempting for some new guitar players to spend tons of money on pedals when they can't even barre chords - so i make the disclaimer.

I'm spoiled by the following: have a Line 6 DM4 and DL4, an Ibanez TS-9, Boss Super Chorus, MXR Phaser, ProCo Rat, CH-1 with a Vox AD120 w/ my PRS and LP.

So, yeah, I think that delay is very important for a U2 sound, obviously, so what's your budget? We can figure something out! :)

well - i can afford say £60 - £90 ish for a pedal. Budget wise, upto about 3 pedals in one go (for the moment). So its either 3 pedals of that sort of budget or get a £300 combo type thing like a Boss GT8 / GT6.

what do you reckon?

bfoster88 said:
well - i can afford say £60 - £90 ish for a pedal. Budget wise, upto about 3 pedals in one go (for the moment). So its either 3 pedals of that sort of budget or get a £300 combo type thing like a Boss GT8 / GT6.

what do you reckon?

I know some people that LOVE the Boss GT-8 - but personally, i have no experience with the pedal - so i cannot comment - my worry with a pedal like that if something small breaks, the whole thing may be useless - that being said it looks like a really nice pedal. For a U2 sound, I think if you purchased the Line 6 DM4 and DL4, you'd have very Edge-like delay and distortion but you would be lacking a chorus and so forth. It's a tough decision, and i am biased because i like the Line 6 products and because they're built so well - they're like tanks whereas the Boss looks flimsy. My suggestion - bring a good pick and go to a guitar store and be prepared to spend a long time there evaluating the pedals - don't be afraid to rig things together there - tell them what you're looking to spend. . . then go and buy it on ebay and save, save, save. . . :D

ah yeah - ebay has some good bargains for stuff that is used but in good nick!

Ill have to take a look at the Line 6 range of stuff, although ive not yet seen it in many stores - whereas everywhere ive been has had almost the entire range of BOSS gear.

also - another probably silly question.

Amp wise i have borrowed one for the time being.

To rig all these effects, do i need any specific connectors on the amp? or just the usual input jack?

Back
Top Bottom