Midi Info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What do you mean, how U2 uses MIDI? There is only one way to use MIDI. Its an old digital interface standard, and I suppose they use it like everyone else.

Or did you mean, what MIDI equipment they use?

Do they even use Midi???

I have never read anything about it - maybe in the studio, but not live. Isn't everything live done on DAT???

luceviola: MIDI equipment, I don?t know what exactly. The Edge surely uses a lot of MIDI stuff with his guitar effects, f.e. live could be that he changes the effects of the guitar over MIDI. Keyboards, well I guess just whatever in the studio, ranging from Korg over Yamaha over Roland to stuff like virtual analog synths on "Mofo". The production on ATYCLB is very stripped down, but for me it would be interesting to know about this sound on Stuck f.e., the high airy bell sound is beautiful. i?d say it doesn?t depend on the actual equipment, more on the way it is programmed; you could take an old Wavestation and program a lot with it... my favourite piece is still Access Virus, a hell of a synth. Except of that, MIDI equipment,... lets see, Larry and Adam and Bono may not use a lot, except of effect stuff. Again, in the studio it is different, sequencers or protools are common, but maybe they use old analog technique as well.

ouizy: yes they do; everyone uses MIDI. It is a connection standard of musical instruments, not a recording standard like DAT. DAT is the physical tape which is used for recording/mastering whereas MIDI is a "nonphysical" transfer standard used for arranging, editing and sounds.

And everyone yawns about MIDI because it is so slow, and is angry about DAT because it is so fragile... but no better common standards yet :D

Back
Top Bottom