Elevation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

okelliheru2

Babyface
During the Elevation tour 2001 version of Elevation can anyone confirm or deny what I believe to be the guitar parts? The opening E barre chord to A barre chord sound to be a distortion, possibly a TS. The verse part sounds like a fuzz box and when the verse kicks ("A mole" part)in a louder guitar part starts. Is this the fuzz turned up or a distortion again? If you look at the Boston or Slane Dvd's the edge uses his foot to change someting during these guitar parts as stated above. What is your opinion on what type of amp he uses during the live version of Elevation? A vox, fender bassman(The edge said he uses during the ATYCLB recording), or one of the smaller fender amps The edge used on stage during 2001.
Thanks

Thanks for replying. Can someone please explain shimmer? I hear this word shimmer being used very loosely when it comes to Edge's equipment. Some people refer to shimmer as the orchesteral sound that we here during songs like WOWY, AIWIY and ISHFWILF. I have also seen the word shimmer effest used in the 09/05 guitar world magazine as being created by a volume controller. Also some people claim that the edge's shimmer effect is created by a phase 90. If the shimmer that everyone is talking about is in fact the orchesteral sound, does anyone know what stomp boxes or rack units create that sound? I would be interested in looking in to them.

Shimmer is a soundeffect where you pitchshift the sound up, run it through delay and then reverb to smoothen it. It gives an etherial keyboard sound.

Edge uses it in several songs, like SYCMIOYO, the live intro to COBL, the songs you listed. Basically he splits his sound and one signal goes the usual route to create the required guitar sound that we know, the other goes through a shimmer device and creates the illusion that some keyboards are playing. Basically two instruments for the price of one musician.

Most effect devices that can produce shimmer are big ass expensive or out of production. The AMS and Eventide processors Edge uses are out of production, and new ones cost an arm and a leg. Your cheapest and therefore best bet is the Line 6 Verbzilla, a reverb stompbox which can do shimmer if you use the Octo setting. I have it and I like it. You can find more info about all things shimmer on this site (including sound clips): http://www.u2shimmer.com/index2.htm

Back
Top Bottom