Edge's blue 1981 Les Paul Standard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edge_Orchestra

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Edge's blue 1981 Les Paul Standard

large-399d.jpg

Auctioned at the 2008 Icons of Music auction in NY, this one has lots of mystery around it.

large-399a.jpg

In fact, most of us never knew Edge had this guitar until the auction. That said, there must be tons of others we've not seen... judging by the picture of the storage room that was in Q magazine a few years ago.

Q-Magazine.jpg

Where did it come from? Per Edge, Dallas found it in a vintage shop in a small town in Maryland. Edge said it was during the 2003 production rehearsals for "Elevation" tour.

large-399b.jpg

Perhaps he forgot that the Elevation tour was in 2001? :lol:

large-399.jpg

Where did it go?

large-399c.jpg

I know that Guitar Center bought the auctioned 1975 LP Custom. And a few friends of mine know the person that bought the auctioned 1950's gold Gibson ES-295 that Edge has in the "Desire" video... but I've yet to hear where this guitar ended up.

2538045968_fb1f7231b5_b.jpg

I wish I could say that it ended up at my house... but that is sadly not the case.

Per The Edge, it was used during the sessions for the "unfinished U2 album". That statement being made in 2008, that would mean it could be on one or more of the songs on "No Line On The Horizon" and/or the yet to be released (if it ever is released) "Songs of Ascent".

2515695765_accb4a6b32-1.jpg

So why auction it? According to Edge and to Dallas it sounded great. Both seemed to like it's unique color. Yet it didn't get any stage-time during the 'Elevation' or 'Vertigo' tours.

I'm guessing maybe he didn't 'bond' with it. Anywho... Whomever the lucky owner is... I hope he plugs it in every now and then and gives it a strum.

Hi all.
I joined the forum as I noticed this post. I have the same guitar, a 1981 Gibson Les Paul in Blue. I have been told this would have been a very small run of a standards, customs and flying V. I have seen 1 other standard, 1 custom and 1 V. They were perhaps ordered by a dealer as a set. Perhaps 5 of each model.
They have an ebony fingerboard rather than the usual rosewood and a wonderful Bahama Blue finish.
In any case, they are great looking instruments. The colour sometimes looks like a pale blue and other times has a shiny metallic look, depending on light. A shame the edge sold his, but I think for a charity auction, the colour would set it out of the norm and make it more desirable.
Here's mine. David, Belgium

7240.jpg
7238.jpg

7239.jpg

Thanks! I agree :D It also sounds excellent. Really nice guitar. I only wish I had the choice of guitars The Edge has :hyper:

Seems that Dallas bought it due to the rarity of the finish. If memory serves, it had one pickup but one was missing or not working so Dallas installed another. While there is a photo of Edge with the guitar, from the NLOTH era sessions, there was I've never heard any confirmation of the guitar making it onto a track nor played live.

The guitar looks stunning. I'm jealous that you have it's 'cousin'. If I'd had the money when the `81 was auctioned, I'd have bid on it for certain.

Just seems that for whatever reason, Edge didn't 'bond' with that particular Les Paul and hence was willing to part with it.

Hi all.
I joined the forum as I noticed this post. I have the same guitar, a 1981 Gibson Les Paul in Blue. I have been told this would have been a very small run of a standards, customs and flying V. I have seen 1 other standard, 1 custom and 1 V. They were perhaps ordered by a dealer as a set. Perhaps 5 of each model.
They have an ebony fingerboard rather than the usual rosewood and a wonderful Bahama Blue finish.
In any case, they are great looking instruments. The colour sometimes looks like a pale blue and other times has a shiny metallic look, depending on light. A shame the edge sold his, but I think for a charity auction, the colour would set it out of the norm and make it more desirable.
Here's mine. David, Belgium

7240.jpg
7238.jpg

7239.jpg

I don't know that Edge had/has a spare blue SG. I know he has the Pelham Blue SG (that they picked up from Cow Town Guitars, Las Vegas). It's been said that the Pelham Blue is the backup to Edge's `66 red SG (Used for 'Elevation').

The other interesting bit about that one is that I've seen Dallas with the Pelham Blue SG far more than Edge. In fact, I've not ever seen Edge play it. I have seen Dallas with it, during an interview in Australia (2011) and in soundcheck pictures during the European leg of the Vertigo tour.

As for the blue Les Paul Standard, per the auction documentation, it seems it's one Dallas picked up due to the rare finish. Did he have the one in blue or two or more? Uncertain.

Also, he mentioned the Elevation tour, it might be more likely (according the time-frame referenced) that it was bought during the 2005 Vertigo tour.

Maybe if he had an spare blue sg he also had an spare blue les paul..,

I can't see him having a spare Blue one tbh. If it was a regular stage guitar, maybe, but it wasn't.
If a guitarist bonds with a guitar, they would only sell for financial reasons I feel, and I doubt that would have been an issue here, so I guess it could go for auction and a good cause.
The odd thing about this blue is that I am usually quite conservative about guitar colours but it seems to work in this case. Blue can be quite gaudy, but this has a subtle side.
I am still happy to have the cousin of his ex guitar :sexywink:
I got mine from Germany in 2005 I believe.

Back
Top Bottom