White as Snow Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I havent listened to this much, so ATM Im still sort of "meh"...

But FUCK I love the horn bit. :drool: If I could have just that bit on repeat for 3 mins Id be a happy bunny.

Will this song get nominated for an Oscar? I would have believed for sure if Springsteen's The Wrestler got the nod it deserved instead of 2 songs from Slumdog. I think they have a shot at a Golden Globe nomination.

This song is pretty good, much better than Cedars Of Lebanon for me.

Its a fact that the music is based on O Come, O Come Emmanuel, which for me makes the song sound like the saddest Christmas song of all time, such a powerful arrangement.

The interesting thing is that it was the second listen where it really hit me. I don't give it much thought the first time through, but boy that second listen it came home. A lot of U2 songs have been like that for me. They seep into your consciousness and one day you wake up and realize they've become a part of you.

I agree completely, and MOS of was definitely like that for me as well.

Also, I doubt WAS is Oscar eligible since its commercially released, and also not wholly original.

It's snowing here and listening to this song seems perfect. It's a pretty okay good song. I love the bit where the Pink Floyd sounds come in.

I'm playing this song right now- this is definitely my favourite track on the album- it just works for me on every level

You know what's weird?! I have been not liking White As Snow much, thinking it was for sure my saliently least favorite song on the album, and then today...
listening on U2.com...
it seemed to be right after standup comedy instead of after fez-being born...
and *there*--in position 8 instead of 9--I liked it lots more! I think that would be a better place for it somehow, works better there...which is the 'true' track-order?
cheers all!

The only thing that bugs me about White as Snow is the line, "Who can forgive forgiveness where forgiveness is not?"

The next line is "Only the Lamb as white as snow." Now, the Lamb imagery is obvious (see the Gospels and/or Leviticus), and it would make sense to say something like only the Lamb (i.e. Christ) can truly forgive or bring forgiveness to a world in which it is lacking, etc. ("Agnus Dei...Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world..."). But what in the world is it supposed to mean to "forgive forgiveness"? I think Bono got caught-up in his own attempts at wordplay here, or was stuck for an extra word to fit the meter and forgot to make sense!

Still a great tune. Love the use of the old "Veni, Veni" melody.

They should release it as a single to country stations. Would be fairly popular there IMHO.

I don't think it would do well on country stations. Yes, the song has a bit of a folksy feeling and a folksy beat, but there are far too many cinematic ambient flourishes for it to be a country song. Your average hick will listen to this song and still consider it a "cityslicker" bluebelly tune.

This song is awesome, none of us should forget this song and I hope you listen. I wish the rest of the album had at least that recording of Bono's vocals properly which is done properly on this song. When I hear some of the other songs on the album, I just don't hear his vocals the same way, it sounds like he's screaming vocals. But anyways I love White As Snow and I want others to love it and talk about it !

I don't think it would do well on country stations. Yes, the song has a bit of a folksy feeling and a folksy beat, but there are far too many cinematic ambient flourishes for it to be a country song. Your average hick will listen to this song and still consider it a "cityslicker" bluebelly tune.

Not "pop" enough for a contemporary country stations. Even Johnny Cash couldn't get airplay on contemporary country stations for his last few records. Radio is now shite.

I'm going through a difficult time in my life right now. The last weeks and especially the last days have been really tough for me and right now I don't know where I stand and I don't know where to go. I listened to NLOTH and it helped me a lot, especially White as snow, it really touches and moves me insight. There's no reason for me to analyse it, I just find myself being overwhelmed with the song right now, it's heartbreaking.

The only thing that bugs me about White as Snow is the line, "Who can forgive forgiveness where forgiveness is not?"

The next line is "Only the Lamb as white as snow." Now, the Lamb imagery is obvious (see the Gospels and/or Leviticus), and it would make sense to say something like only the Lamb (i.e. Christ) can truly forgive or bring forgiveness to a world in which it is lacking, etc. ("Agnus Dei...Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world..."). But what in the world is it supposed to mean to "forgive forgiveness"? I think Bono got caught-up in his own attempts at wordplay here, or was stuck for an extra word to fit the meter and forgot to make sense!

Still a great tune. Love the use of the old "Veni, Veni" melody.

Yeah, I think in that line he just indulges in some vague phrases, that give the impression that there is some higher, hidden meaning. Like he does in MoS.

I'm going through a difficult time in my life right now. The last weeks and especially the last days have been really tough for me and right now I don't know where I stand and I don't know where to go. I listened to NLOTH and it helped me a lot, especially White as snow, it really touches and moves me insight. There's no reason for me to analyse it, I just find myself being overwhelmed with the song right now, it's heartbreaking.

hope everything turns out ok. :wave:

I found Stuck in a Moment to be a great "lifter". The last line of the song, the very last line, is what usually makes me stop and say "he's right, it will". If that song doesn't work, just look at this icon that usually makes me laugh :yippie:

Good luck with what ever you are going through.

I found Stuck in a Moment to be a great "lifter". The last line of the song, the very last line, is what usually makes me stop and say "he's right, it will". If that song doesn't work, just look at this icon that usually makes me laugh :yippie:

Good luck with what ever you are going through.

YES....exactly....the very last line of that song, everything about it, the melody, the passion...everything...."It's just a moment, this time will pass" - fucking awesome....I don't care what anyone says...that is an incredible ending...filled with so much hope and optimism...LU, listen to Stuck too....hope everything turns out okay :)

It's a shame that this thread about this gorgeous song has slipped down so far, I'm going to try to get it moved up! I was dismissing it for several weeks, gave it a serious listen-to, and now I absolutely love it.

And, Last Unicorn, it's been a few weeks since your last post and I sincerely hope things are looking up for you.

Awww, thank you SO much. Things have been going better for me recently, still some stuff to figure out in my personal life, but after all, I think it's really much better now.

Still, the album really still manages to comfort me, and WAS is still one of my favourite songs by anyone, it moves me every time I hear it.

Back
Top Bottom