U2:DUALS Update?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is a guy named Matkin22 on the official site that wrote what I believe is a perfect open letter to the band about the Duals fiasco and other problems with the official site. It'd copy and paste it here, but don't know if that's a no-no, so I'll just link to it:

DUALS: Official comment thread FREE SIDE (Merged) - All About U2 - Free Forum - U2 Community - Message Board

I agree with every point in this letter, and if you do too, we should do everything we can to help get it passed on to the band or its management.

Sounds like the mod has said she's going to try and get this stuff to the right people,and I guess she's done it before. :up:

LOL!
I wished I had stopped reading after your statement about Duals being "the latest in a long line of unimpressive incentives to get people to subscribe". I am very happy with the releases up to now. Artificial Horizon is a great remix collection, Medium (at least the first CD) has many rare outtakes and alternative versions. All in great CD quality (so not a crappy MP3).
But OK, if you are severly disappointed in the Duals tracklist (which is a bit underwhelming I admit) then that's your right. But then to call for a mass unsubscribing of U2.com while at the same time admitting that you're not a subscriber yourself, that's funny! :lol:

:sigh:

Though I see that most of the people supporting it are also not subscribers. So the people who are not (paid) members of U2.com are protesting by not being a member of U2.com...

LOL!
I wished I had stopped reading after your statement about Duals being "the latest in a long line of unimpressive incentives to get people to subscribe". I am very happy with the releases up to now. Artificial Horizon is a great remix collection, Medium (at least the first CD) has many rare outtakes and alternative versions. All in great CD quality (so not a crappy MP3).
But OK, if you are severly disappointed in the Duals tracklist (which is a bit underwhelming I admit) then that's your right. But then to call for a mass unsubscribing of U2.com while at the same time admitting that you're not a subscriber yourself, that's funny! :lol:

:sigh:

Though I see that most of the people supporting it are also not subscribers. So the people who are not (paid) members of U2.com are protesting by not being a member of U2.com...

Agreed. While Duals to me is a major miss, I was happy with Artificial Horizon and Medium Rare & Remastered. I do think it's wrong that U2.com states they have another super rare state of the art fanclub gift though. At least admit that the songs aren't rare at all and that it's not that special. :rolleyes:

And to me telling people to unsubscribe while not even being a subscriber yourself is quite hypocritical...

I don't think people are calling for a boycott because of DUALS, but DUALS is just the cherry on top of a shit sundae, with frustration over a bunch of other things over the past few years.

Some may be Live Nation, some may be U2.com, some may be U2 themselves. I see no problem with telling a business when they're screwing up and making customers unhappy.

Will a boycott do anything? I don't know; I doubt it, considering how many people visit that site. But that's what you do - you're unhappy with the service you're getting, you voice your complaints and vote with your time/dollars.

I don't think people are calling for a boycott because of DUALS, but DUALS is just the cherry on top of a shit sundae, with frustration over a bunch of other things over the past few years.

Some may be Live Nation, some may be U2.com, some may be U2 themselves. I see no problem with telling a business when they're screwing up and making customers unhappy.

Will a boycott do anything? I don't know; I doubt it, considering how many people visit that site. But that's what you do - you're unhappy with the service you're getting, you voice your complaints and vote with your time/dollars.

Yeah, pretty much this.

I really don't care what's on the fan club CDs. They're a U2 collector's item that you can't buy anywhere else and won't be produced for very long. I don't expect them to release something really new and unknown because that would shut out a large part of their fanbase from purchasing their material. Instead, they take some semi-rare songs and release them or make a nice little collection with a common theme. That's how I see it, anyway. I'll admit, though, that I don't think Duals looks nearly as good as Artificial Horizon, but I'm not going to throw a hissy fit or boycott anything.

Ok, so some of you are unimpressed by what i was aiming to do with the boycott idea, so allow me to explain myself.

For many u2 fans (subscribers or not), Duals in itself isn't the problem - it's the fact that it's one of so many. There's also the announcing of final shows repeatedly, which has pissed off a lot of people who made plans to see the last show because it meant something to them, only for another show to be announced. Then there's the poor customer service - many people have been having problems with renewing membership, or not receiving store purchases or their freebies, only to have little or no help from discourteous admins. There's also the fact that the site offers little exclusive benefits compared to other bands sites, which offer things like official bootlegs of each show... for a lot less money. These are just a few of many problems.

Duals on itself just kinda sucks, but it's the latest of many things that have left a lot of us feeling jaded. To get people to pay $50, to promise a CD offering 'exclusive' material, only to release a disc including songs straight from u2's albums and singles, or readily available from itunes for $1, is downright insulting to many of us.

For the record, i was a subscriber to u2.com. I did it partly for the pre-sale, but also because i wanted to get a cool exclusive CD... only to get 'Medium, rare and remastered', which i'd already purchased with 'the complete u2'. Given that u2.com is meant to be for hardcore fans, i (and many others) feel we should have been given something that we wouldn't have had (we feel the same way about artificial horizon, which had many un-exclusive tracks). I didn't renew my subscription because i felt i was in no way getting my moneys worth.

Even if i hadn't been a subscriber, i don't feel it's hypocritical to want a change of u2.com. It's the bands only way to reach out personally to fans (besides the music, obviously), yet they are barely involved with it, and many see it as a rip-off. We just want a better fan service.

The idea of a mass un-subscription wasn't just a random idea i had - over at @u2, a bunch of us agreed that something should be done, and we made a thread to discuss ideas of what to do. After discussing personal stories about problems with u2.com, as well as seeing in the official sites forum thread on 'Duals' that almost all members were unsatisfied with their deal, and were considering quitting, there was a general agreement back on @u2 that a mass-unsubscription was the best choice and most effective form of protest.

We're not trying to be hypocritical, and we're not furious over 'Duals'. It's just the final straw, we're just tired at such a poor attempt by u2 to reach out to their fans, one that is so expensive and yet offers so little. And personally, i think the subscribers deserve a lot better than what they're getting.

If you don't want to take part in a protest against u2.com, that's fine, but please don't mistake my intent - i love the band, and i just want the site to treat it's fans better. :)

I was a suscriber two years ago but only for the chance of getting tickets early... But I've had problems with customer service in the past. In 2005 I ordered a "boys play rock n' roll" t-shirt with the HTDAAB theme, and I got the wrong one -twice- first I got one that was a size smaller, I returned it, then I got one with the right size, but with the title of the album printed instead of what I asked for... I kept it

It's about time something like this has happened. U2.com is absolute shit, and the fee is absurd. I signed up in 04 so I could get tickets for the tour, which came to around $100 including the membership fee. I got a bullshit key chain as a "gift". I got nothing else for my $40 - all I got was a key chain! Naturally, I didn't renew and I'm pretty happy about that since the cds they release are always really lame. It's always music people already have and Duals is an insult.

To blame Live Nation is foolish, because the band are responsible for everything they release, and for their site. Hold U2 responsible and don't give them your money. Give it to the homeless instead, or buy a new vibrator.

Actually I agree with the people that think U2.com sucks. The ONLY reason I am a paid member is access to the presale. And, why should that cost money anyway? The fan is happy he/she can join a U2-concert. U2 is happy the ticket is sold to a real fan (and not a scalper), so it's a win-win. Why do we have to pay $50 for that?

This bonus CD really sucks. I will use it as a coaster. Or maybe even better: send it back to PM...

But boycotting is not an option...I want the tickets...

Actually I agree with the people that think U2.com sucks. The ONLY reason I am a paid member is access to the presale. And, why should that cost money anyway? The fan is happy he/she can join a U2-concert. U2 is happy the ticket is sold to a real fan (and not a scalper), so it's a win-win. Why do we have to pay $50 for that?

This bonus CD really sucks. I will use it as a coaster. Or maybe even better: send it back to PM...

But boycotting is not an option...I want the tickets...

I think the membership fee is to deter scalpers from signing up and taking advantage of the presale, but still for the money, the U2.com content sucks.

I saw arguments (not here, I don't think) that the presale codes are useless because so many venues have their own presales, and you can get tickets in the general sales.

But it failed to mention that if you want GA tickets, you need the presale. Venue presales, as far as I've seen, do not have GA tickets available, and they seem near-impossible to get in a general sale.

I still haven't received my U2.com membership gift from 2005! It never came, but I got a presale GA ticket to the greatest concert of my life; so, no worries! I still think back to that when it comes to these membership things like renewal and signing up to other bands' fanclubs.

I'm disappointed with the "Duals" cd. I have a few of the songs already. Since 2005 I thought the cd's they released for a subscription were pretty good, especially the Zoo TV one.

I still haven't received my U2.com membership gift from 2005! It never came, but I got a presale GA ticket to the greatest concert of my life; so, no worries! I still think back to that when it comes to these membership things like renewal and signing up to other bands' fanclubs.

I'm disappointed with the "Duals" cd. I have a few of the songs already. Since 2005 I thought the cd's they released for a subscription were pretty good, especially the Zoo TV one.

I'm a huge fan of their live releases. Wish they'd do more. I'd love to have an official copy of the Capetown show.

buuuuut didn't you already have that particular ZooTV show?

I'm not that excited about this CD but I think it's poor form that I paid my re-subscription fee almost 5 months ago and I still don't have my CD.

In fact I don't even have a mailing date, and the last CD took 6 weeks to get to me - so that'll be over 6 months between payment and receipt.

No doubt there are other ex Propaganda members like me that joined U2.com when it first launched around end October however many years ago.

i don't hate on the CD like, well, everyone else, 'cause i'm actually very much looking forward to getting a fully mastered version of sunday bloody sunday w/ jay-z... but i really wish they'd give us the option of getting a CD or downloading the tracks, or even both... i don't even know what a CD is.

Can someone post the final cover art in here. I never seem to get emails from U2.com. :rolleyes:

Absolutely don't know if this is it, but this image was with the email:

duals_delivery_image.jpg

and on u2.com

duals.jpg

Back
Top Bottom