Songs of Innocence (Bonus Disc) Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love the roughness of Bono's voice and singing. Many people love to complain about U2 songs being too polished, but this here is totally imperfect and raw, I really like it.

Still, I think U2 chose the right versions for their album, I wouldn't replace anything. The two new songs are ok, I prefer the rockier Lucifer to the groovier Ballroom, but I wouldn't have put any of these songs on the regular cd.

I'm really enjoying these acoustic sessions, but then again, I've always been fond of U2 acoustic stuff, unlike many other people here.

I wonder how these songs will be performed live for the promo appearances.

No it doesn't.

But then I'm one of these people who thinks he hasn't sounded particularly good since about 1993, so we're probably not going to see eye to eye.

C'mon Axver. That's 21 years ago, you've got to think relatively. And in the context of Bono's voice from Pop until present day, his voice right now is pretty good. It is thin and lacks the punch he could pack in his heyday, but he sings the notes well, conveys emotion and is less hysterical than on NLOTH.

I say that as someone who's favourite era for Bono's voice was the Pop album.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Also, are people not getting the joke about Invisible being a hidden track? Kind of clever...

That joke was funny for about half a second.

C'mon Axver. That's 21 years ago, you've got to think relatively. And in the context of Bono's voice from Pop until present day, his voice right now is pretty good. It is thin and lacks the punch he could pack in his heyday, but he sings the notes well, conveys emotion and is less hysterical than on NLOTH.

I say that as someone who's favourite era for Bono's voice was the Pop album.

Eh, if you're not feeling it you're not feeling it, and I haven't felt much from Bono's vocals since Pop (and on that album he had some good lyrics and really passionate performances to salvage things). On my first listen of Songs of Innocence, my reaction to literally almost every song was "oh hey this sounds cool... oh no here's Bono, this is bland again". There's a thread somewhere to attest to this. I miss the clarity and power he used to have. Now it's rough, scratchy, and thin, and although he can get away with it when there's some real emotional power (e.g. end of Cedarwood Road), I don't find that to be common. It definitely doesn't occur on the bonus disc to any notable extent.

Eh, if you're not feeling it you're not feeling it, and I haven't felt much from Bono's vocals since Pop (and on that album he had some good lyrics and really passionate performances to salvage things). On my first listen of Songs of Innocence, my reaction to literally almost every song was "oh hey this sounds cool... oh no here's Bono, this is bland again". There's a thread somewhere to attest to this. I miss the clarity and power he used to have. Now it's rough, scratchy, and thin, and although he can get away with it when there's some real emotional power (e.g. end of Cedarwood Road), I don't find that to be common. It definitely doesn't occur on the bonus disc to any notable extent.

I am genuinely shocked you give so much time and effort to a band your not so keen on now

I am genuinely shocked you give so much time and effort to a band your not so keen on now

So am I. But I've so many friends here and running U2gigs is fun. And you don't see me ragging on the eighties stuff. :wink:

So am I. But I've so many friends here and running U2gigs is fun. And you don't see me ragging on the eighties stuff. :wink:

Haha fair play to you mate, and very much appreciate what you do with u2gigs

Crystal Ballroom sounds great, very contemporary and just what I expected from a U2 DM collab. Hoped for more of this on the album TBH. Still, over the moon with what we've been given over the past 4 weeks!

Months & months ago, I posted on here that I had a contact who mentioned to me that he'd heard 'funky soul' coming from HQ. I always wondered what happened to that - & here it is......

I really wish they worked on Lucifers Hands, Crystal Ballroom, and Invisible until they were completed. Dump Miracle, EBW, and SFS.

I'll be perfectly honest with you, I didn't really give the new B sides a chance yesterday cause I was at work and couldn't listen to it other than on my phone on so so speakers.

But I listened today...

When the production credits come out I'm going to be very surprised if both B sides aren't full Danger Mouse productions.

And I'll also admit that I'm one of the first to always say that fans here overrate songs that are left off the albums (see Mercy).

That said...

They're fucking insane for leaving Crystal Ballroom off the album.

I don't understand the criticism that Bono sounds tired in the acoustics songs or that the arrangements are sloppy. He sounds awesome and it's not like the song structures are any different.

It's a "bonus" disc and wasn't expecting anything mind-blowing but am pleasantly surprised and the two new songs are really good as well. In my estimation we have had 15 good to great new songs released the past year and I couldn't expect anything more.

Lucifer's Hands, great beginning, great end, they just had no idea what to stick in the middle there :doh:

Man Crystal Ballroom was not what I expected at all, I'm liking it alot, think this would have gone well with This is Where You Could Reach Me Now, either before or after

Sleep like a baby tonight just as good as the album version, that alternative perspective was a surprise, quite literal. Lol.

Troubles = meh, album version is the clear winner, not terrible but they definetly made the right call

As for the acoustics, i don't understand how a mid 50's Bono sounds better then late 30's/early 40's Bono, but man does he ever, especially on EBW

I just worked on a Womanfish edit of Lucifer's Hands. I felt like you that the bridge just killed the thing. So I cut out a huge chunk, taking out that stupid lyric about the poor breaking bread and the rich man eating alone (my GOD it sounds like a David Brent lyric!!!)
I cut it down by 40 seconds and it totally changes the song.

If anyone could help me with instructions on sharing, or if you have an email you don't mind sharing, i can send to ya

I'll be perfectly honest with you, I didn't really give the new B sides a chance yesterday cause I was at work and couldn't listen to it other than on my phone on so so speakers.

But I listened today...

When the production credits come out I'm going to be very surprised if both B sides aren't full Danger Mouse productions.

And I'll also admit that I'm one of the first to always say that fans here overrate songs that are left off the albums (see Mercy).

That said...

Jesus, you are on a roll! a roll of wisdom that is!! It's criminal that Crystal Ballroom was left off.

I too am baffled as to why Crystal Ballroom was left of the album. Very strange decision - it's funky, catchy and fresh.
I understand why with regards to Lucifer's Hands as the middle part of the song makes it more of a B-side.

:down:

I don't agree with you much but this is the most accurate thing stated on Interference in 10 years :)

From B sides to beach clips )where all you here are waves and people talking with an occasional guitar sound in the background) to half baked live performances of a new song to alternate versions....they are often hailed as "the best the band has done" and "album worthy".

Well said!

That said...

As someone who is waiting to listen to this song until I get the CD next Tuesday.....it's comments like this that make me know I won't be able to sleep until then! The common vibe about the song is "awesome" and I'm really excited to hear it.

Crystal Ballroom sounds interesting. Very good B-side. The Stingray riff is strong, but don't know what to think of Lucifer's Hands, pretty forgettable I guess. It's obvious that the album is superior to the (weak) acoustic versions. While I think they did an excellent job with SOI, the acoustic versions are subpar. Bono is sounding tired on those. Cedarwood Road is probably my favourite song on the album, but without the electric guitar and pounding drums it's not half as good. The same can be said about Raised By Wolves. The acoustic version only comes to life when Larry comes in.

I expected a little more from this disc, but I can't complain, because I love the actual album :up:

I don't think Bono sounds "tired", I just think he's overdoing it a bit sometimes. He's putting a lot of pressure on his voice there and it's anything but perfect. But I must say I truly like the rawness of his singing here. Agree about Wolves and Cedarwood, they're clearly much better on the album, but it's interesting to hear them semi-acoustically nevertheless. Sometimes it's just hard to imagine a certain song being stripped down, and hearing it can be really a surprise. The album would lose value if any of these bonus tracks would be better or as good as the actual album songs.

Hell, if they don't release it as a single they should be lobotomized. Every single one of them.

Sent from my ass crack

I don't think Bono sounds "tired", I just think he's overdoing it a bit sometimes. He's putting a lot of pressure on his voice there and it's anything but perfect. But I must say I truly like the rawness of his singing here. Agree about Wolves and Cedarwood, they're clearly much better on the album, but it's interesting to hear them semi-acoustically nevertheless. Sometimes it's just hard to imagine a certain song being stripped down, and hearing it can be really a surprise. The album would lose value if any of these bonus tracks would be better or as good as the actual album songs.
I certainly like (most of) his vocals on the actual album, but don't think his singing is good on the acoustic songs. I agree with your last sentence; that may be clear.

I just worked on a Womanfish edit of Lucifer's Hands. I felt like you that the bridge just killed the thing. So I cut out a huge chunk, taking out that stupid lyric about the poor breaking bread and the rich man eating alone (my GOD it sounds like a David Brent lyric!!!)

I cut it down by 40 seconds and it totally changes the song.

If anyone could help me with instructions on sharing, or if you have an email you don't mind sharing, i can send to ya

I feel like the song itself kills the song. I'll have another listen in the car at high volume but..

Sent from my ass crack

It's ilke Party Girl's older, wiser, world-lier person.

This. :up:

Considering all the Invisible jokes were made back in JANUARY by this entire forum, I think it's hysterical that it actually happened. They made Invisible literally invisible. The irony of this entire cycle is astounding. These boards joked about Invisible, scoffed at a possible double album, and said U2 would never do a surprise release. Yet look at what has happened these last few weeks. Surprise release of SoI, a 2disc deluxe edition, announcement of SoE, and lo and behold, the old "Invisible is going to be invisible" joke actually happend.

Agreed. I thought SoI couldn't get any better....add that song in.
It. Gets. Better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

Hell, if they don't release it as a single they should be lobotomized. Every single one of them.

Sent from my ass crack

AAAHAAAHAH!
I believe that already happened with Achtung Baby.
They did some home surgery on themselves! How else could one explain
the songs they created for Achtung+Zooropa?
Also including Pop!
AAAHAHAHAHA.
I am glad they did create those songs. The world would not be the same without those songs.

Sent from my ass crack

Fuck that... They SHOULD be lobotomized for not releasing it as the FIRST single.

I'm baffled by it's exclusion.

I know acts like Pearl Jam and especially Springsteen sometimes have left amazing songs off the album for fear of them being too catchy and popular... but that's the exact opposite of U2's MO... and for them to not recognize this song as ooooooooozing with hit potential? Baffled.

Fuck that... They SHOULD be lobotomized for not releasing it as the FIRST single.

I know acts like Pearl Jam and especially Springsteen sometimes have left amazing songs off the album for fear of them being too catchy and popular... but that's the exact opposite of U2's MO... and for them to not recognize this song as ooooooooozing with hit potential? Baffled.

Would be the coolest thing if this song actually caught on, grass-roots style at radio and got to be a hit like THe Sweetest Thing, or like Pearl Jam - Last Kiss.

That would really make me happy. Just not sure that happens much anymore...

i guess im alone here but im personally waiting to hear the bonus stuff until the physical release on tuesday, which kind of makes it exciting to buy the thing, other than just being a collector.

Sounds good from what you all are saying though

I absolutely and wholeheartedly agree. Listening to the 12" right now and I'd rather listen to this over almost every single track on the album. And I'm almost guaranteeing over whatever they decide to release as the next single. I think EBW has the biggest potential, but this is just so danceable so beautiful so Adam so Larry so FUCKING EDGE!!! So Bono. So U2. Huge silly grin on my face since I heard it yesterday.

Sent from my ass crack

i guess im alone here but im personally waiting to hear the bonus stuff until the physical release on tuesday, which kind of makes it exciting to buy the thing, other than just being a collector.

No your not alone on that one.

Normally I'd agree but all my high end stuff is in storage so even while I will probably buy the white album..it will be a while before I can play my personal copy. So listening now! :)

Sent from my ass crack

Back
Top Bottom