SOE FAN + industry reviews only

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, absolute lowlife behavior.

Frankly, you should really be banned for something like this (which constitutes sexual harassment).

I'm so glad you were able to show me the best way to contribute to these forums!

Really, you need to take this garbage someplace else.

HEY to all fighting in here can you take it to PM? I created this thread for reviews ONLY, I don’t really want to read pages of fighting and insulting each other. Thank you!

Last edited:
Laz, it’s one thing if you and redhill were buddies joking around, but when that’s clearly not the case, implying that someone else is a pedophile is pretty fucking disgusting.

Way over the line.

I'm certainly joking around, I think it's a stretch to say that was seriously implied or that anyone thought it was serious.

See the Bono's son's band Inhaler thread in B&C for context if you'd like.

thanks for the find but that description could fit just about any U2 album.

I understand that they probably can't get into specifics yet, but that review was really "general and basic"

Yeah. Really tells us nothing at all. There's lots of tweets but doesn't tell us much.

As the twitter guy, Saul, says - the 21st Century doesn't technically include ATYCLB (since it came out in 2000). Therefore, SOE doesn't have to be better than ATYCLB in order for it to be "the best of this century." I believe it will be up there with ATYCB (also a 4 star album), but not as good as the best of their 80s/90s output. I do however believe it'll be better than Bomb, or anything after. What will hurt this album more than anything will be its consistency ("What were they thinking?" moments like American Soul). Replace that one with All My Life and we may have had a 5 star album on our hands.

I’m curious as to why people think ATYCLB is better than Bomb. Aside from WILATW, side two is dross. Bomb might have some production issues, and some clunky moments, but there are no facepalms wife like Grace, Peace on Earth, Wild Honey etc.

I’m curious as to why people think ATYCLB is better than Bomb. Aside from WILATW, side two is dross. Bomb might have some production issues, and some clunky moments, but there are no facepalms wife like Grace, Peace on Earth, Wild Honey etc.

Completely removed from the musical aspect, I can say for myself that Bomb felt noticeably less immediate to me. With ATYCLB, for the most part, I still felt like I was more or less on the same page with most of the songs; and if I wasn't then I was willing to try to get there. When it came to Bomb, it was the first time I honestly thought "I don't think I can relate to this a whole lot. There just isn't much here for me to dig into". There were a lot less times I thought both the lyrics or the music were speaking directly to me - which I recall was quite startling and troubling at the time. This time I wasn't really willing to do the extra work to give myself over to that set of songs.

I was hoping it would change over time, but it really hasn't. I have little desire to revisit Bomb because it was the first time I did not have a strong connection with a U2 album. Now, to be fair, I saw two Vertigo tour shows and I felt several of the songs really came to life - most notably LAPOE. However I'd say that's par for the course with most U2 albums placed in a live setting. Just my two cents.

I think it's because that, despite Bomb having more track for track consistency than ATYCLB (every track is a solid 7-8), most agree that ATYCLB has more unquantifiable "greatness" (Beautiful Day, Walk On, Kite, and In A Little While have a particular magic that propels those tracks to a 9/10...something Bomb just doesn't have). It's this 4 or 5 track run near the beginning of the album that transcends the back side of the album -- giving the album a "sum is greater than its parts" feel about it. As cheesy as it sounds, much like the Beatles' Rubber Soul album, It's this feeling behind the album that makes it all that we can't leave behind.

Last edited:
I think it's because that, despite Bomb having more track for track consistency than ATYCLB (every track is a solid 7-8), most agree that ATYCLB has more unquantifiable "greatness" (Beautiful Day, Walk On, Kite, and In A Little While have a particular magic that propels those tracks to a 9/10...something Bomb just doesn't have). It's this 4 or 5 track run near the beginning of the album that transcends the back side of the album -- giving the album a "sum is greater than its parts" feel about it. As cheesy as it sounds, It's this feeling behind the album that makes it all that we can't leave behind.

In a Little While 9/10? To each their own, but I think you’ve answered my question.

People who think ATYCLB is better than Bomb have fundamentally different rates and measures of what makes something good than I do.

Good cents too!

Rolling Stone giving endless 5* reviews has hurt things a little, but 4* is s damn good score if it’s realistic. I think this’ll be their best LP since Pop.

Morph, if it is their best album since Pop I would be extremely happy. Of course it's all subjective, but I would consider that a very successful outing for U2 at this point in their career.

Morph, if it is their best album since Pop I would be extremely happy. Of course it's all subjective, but I would consider that a very successful outing for U2 at this point in their career.

They are competing against themselves at this point. There's really not much they owe fans. Awards, and reviews ultimately give way to the test of time when other generations listen to the music without identifying with the generation who made it. That's why they are talking about musical legacy in that Brazil interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom