SOE FAN + industry reviews only

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize these things are largely subjective, but it is definitely hard for me to consider Uncut's review worthy of attention if there is absolutely no mention of The Blackout. That song is a flat-out beast.

Agreed. It's above and beyond the rest. My opinion on GOOYOW and American Soul has dropped a fair bit since they were released while The Blackout I loved from first listen and it has stayed that good in my ears. It sounds like something from Pop, but more polished.

Ranking the songs now I'd say The Blackout >> YTBTAM > GOOYOW >>> American Soul.

I like Blackout a lot but it would be even better without the Fred/Zed and Jack/Zach nonsense. It just feels tacked on just because they rhyme and kind of cheapens the message of the song.

'The Book of Your Heart'

Has anyone heard it yet? It sounds like it'll be the 'Ground Bebeath Your Feet' or 'Crystal Ballroom' of this album -- not just because it's a bonus track, but because it sounds completely different to the rest. "Operatic" is the term someone used when describing Bono's outro, if I remember, apparently harkening back to the Bono we have all come to know and love.

Love Is All We Have Left, Summer Of Love, and Red Flag look like they are convincingly the best songs on the album. They’re everyone’s favorites who have heard the album.

Love Is All We Have Left, Summer Of Love, and Red Flag look like they are convincingly the best songs on the album. They’re everyone’s favorites who have heard the album.

That's what has me really excited. I like GOOYOW and Blackout a lot and to a slightly lesser extent Best Thing(I do enjoy it for what it is). American Soul I need to listen to more but it's not a bad song.

The fact that there are consistently 3 or 4 songs (13 has been mentioned a couple of times) that are mentioned as being the top songs and none are what we have heard yet is very exciting!

That's what has me really excited. I like GOOYOW and Blackout a lot and to a slightly lesser extent Best Thing(I do enjoy it for what it is). American Soul I need to listen to more but it's not a bad song.

The fact that there are consistently 3 or 4 songs (13 has been mentioned a couple of times) that are mentioned as being the top songs and none are what we have heard yet is very exciting!

Add to this the fact that these 4 are mentioned by people who have heard the album once or twice. People who have listened to it a lot claim it is a big grower, too.

Q have 5 starred so many U2 albums that haven't deserved it that they have become industry fanboys instead of subjective viewers.

Honestly they'd become a running joke.

Obviously someone upstairs has directed no more than 4 stars. Why does the reviewer spend so long talking about The Best Thing which we've all heard and doesn t mention half the tracks.

Poor all around

https://www.stereogum.com/1971921/n...s-latest-beef-with-liam/franchises/interview/

GALLAGHER: That was last year, was it? The only thing that I’ve been remotely…going on tour with U2 was probably the best thing.

STEREOGUM: What do you think of their new album?

GALLAGHER: I think it’s good. There’s a track called “The Showman,” one of their best-ever songs. Fucking unbelievable. You know, I get to hear these four years in advance, tiny little demoes, and they’re always called something else. But that song, yeah, “The Showman.” Wish I’d written it, put it that way.

https://www.stereogum.com/1971921/n...s-latest-beef-with-liam/franchises/interview/

GALLAGHER: That was last year, was it? The only thing that I’ve been remotely…going on tour with U2 was probably the best thing.

STEREOGUM: What do you think of their new album?

GALLAGHER: I think it’s good. There’s a track called “The Showman,” one of their best-ever songs. Fucking unbelievable. You know, I get to hear these four years in advance, tiny little demoes, and they’re always called something else. But that song, yeah, “The Showman.” Wish I’d written it, put it that way.

That’s one hell of an endorsement from an artist, probably the ultimate compliment is “i wish i had written that”.

Michael Stipe said that about Beautiful Day....it’s cool to hear.

So far the two “official” reviews we have are:

Uncut- 6/10
Q-8/10

Both of those are the same as Songs of Innocence and both are lower than NLOTH (Q gave it 10/10 and Uncut 8/10).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom