So, Winter's been rerecorded (streaming link inside)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No sir, I don't like it. :down:

brand.gif

Loved the original

Listening to the new version and it's starting to sink in. Yes, this version is now my favorite. The instrumentation is truly awesome, I wish they'd lower just a little bit of Bono's voice in the mix and make the background-noises shine more. Otherwise it's beautiful, the Viva la Vida rip-off is gone (the "butter on toast" is still there but doesn't annoy me as much as before :crack:) and Bono's performance isn't as bad as the first impression. Perhaps he should've re-sung the "no more" though, he doesn't hit it right any of the two times he sings it. :sad:

Isn't there something, specially in the beginning, that reminds of the Temple Bar mix of WGRYWH?

Call me crazy, but there is something in Bono's delivery that reminds me of Billy Joel, especially that Vietnam song he did, Goodnight Saigon. And I don't just mean the piano and the war theme - something about how Bono is singing here reminds me of that song.

And I'm in the camp that prefers the Linear version. The new one is OK, and glad to have the VLV opening gone, but I really miss that simple little guitar line. Add that guitar part back to this version and you'd have gold, Jerry, gold.

The more I listen to the Brothers version, the more it seems bizarre and non-cohesive for me. Starting on the impression that some of the tracks were recorded many time ago, some others more recently and mixed together now, like a single version... but not in a good way.

Bono's vocal take is better and more emocional. But maybe too much. [Is it just my impression or Bono clearly goes out of tune in the "so glad you made it..." line around 4:00?]

I don't get the purpose of:
1) The piano chords in the beginning in a different speed of the rest of the song;
2) The abrupt end of the strings at the end of the song. I thought it's clear that this song needed some kind of fade out, given the elements that make the outro;
3) The forced new transition between chorus and verse. It doesn't work and it seems out of place;
4) The operatic choir singing belonged obviously at the ending of a song like this, with lyrics like this. Why was it moved to the bridge section?

I still think that the Linear version could sound like a demo, but it just needed some improvements. I like Brothers version but it sounds forced and mixes too much evocations of other songs ("The Hands That Built America", "...Wild Horses" Temple Bar mix, Zooropa's/Passengers' strings sections) not necessarily in the most cohesive way. It always sounds like a song that existed and that had to be transformed with certain purposes (which is the case, in fact).

Bono's vocal take is better and more emocional. But maybe too much. [Is it just my impression or Bono clearly goes out of tune in the "so glad you made it..." line around 4:00?]

No

1) The piano chords in the beginning in a different speed of the rest of the song;

Adds to the dream sequence nature of the song. I noticed it, but it doesn't bother me. It makes the song quirky and sets it apart from every other song that tries to be epic and string laden

2) The abrupt end of the strings at the end of the song. I thought it's clear that this song needed some kind of fade out, given the elements that make the outro;

Once again, the fact that they didn't follow a formula is being criticised? If it had faded out as expected, someone would have complained that they were being too boring.

3) The forced new transition between chorus and verse. It doesn't work and it seems out of place;

More forced than the linear version>??? really????

4) The operatic choir singing belonged obviously at the ending of a song like this, with lyrics like this. Why was it moved to the bridge section?

If you are talking about the oooooh-oooooooh's.. they are at the end. Bono's outro lyrics are part of it, as they are layered over it.

Actually, when I look at the winter mp3 on Itunes, the title is as follows:

WINTER_Edit+Vrb_44-256_100309

44 would mean 44,000 Hz, which is CD quality. 256 is probably the mp3 compression. 100309 is probably the date it was mastered. And Edit probably means that this is an EDIT version and that there is likely to be a longer version out there. That's really interesting as it might include the Dallas bridge or other sections!!

I believe it's just one of the settings for audio encoding..tags can be edited, and it might even be a video rip..btw, the 90 sec audio clip from U2.com doesn't have the same info tag.

The more I listen to the Brothers version, the more it seems bizarre and non-cohesive for me. Starting on the impression that some of the tracks were recorded many time ago, some others more recently and mixed together now, like a single version... but not in a good way.

I don't get the purpose of:

I still think that the Linear version could sound like a demo, but it just needed some improvements. I like Brothers version but it sounds forced and mixes too much evocations of other songs ("The Hands That Built America", "...Wild Horses" Temple Bar mix, Zooropa's/Passengers' strings sections) not necessarily in the most cohesive way. It always sounds like a song that existed and that had to be transformed with certain purposes (which is the case, in fact).

Don't take it the wrong way, if it was somebody else I would write the same.:

Do we really need to dissect every little aspect in every song? :shrug:

Don't take it the wrong way, if it was somebody else I would write the same.:

Do we really need to dissect every little aspect in every song? :shrug:
I don't see the problem with it (it seems that dan_smee does and obviously has to refute it, 'cause it still seems he chases it). Almost every other U2 has been dissected too.
Isn't it why these forums exist for? Or do they exist just as a sanctuary to show our praise for the band?

No...

But to analyze every second of it :lol: I don't know how you do it. Even if I wanted I didn't have the patience for that.
And in my opinion it just takes all of the joy while listening to music.

They use a real piano for the intro and then use some quantized generic midi piano for the verses? Not liking the synthesized strings either- wish they would have used some real strings

Aside from that I like it

I think this song is absolutely beautiful and if this is the direction that SoA is taking, then I'm thrilled.

I like this much more than the Linear version, which was too reminiscent of Viva La Vida to me and also, in general, seemed like more of a sketch than a song.

This new version is a truly beautiful song, and I actually really like Bono's "broken" vocals. I agree with Q Magazine who said that Bono's voice, as it becomes more cracked, also becomes more interesting. He inhabits the characters more.

Great lyrics, though I agree with everyone else: "butter on toast" is 2009's version of "the air is heavy as a truck." The worst part is that I can actually hear Bono smile as he sings that line. Cut that line and this whole song is golden.

And the outro? I love it. I love the Edge riff and I love the deep background vocals.

^I wish brilliant YouTube users were clicking on that one, instead of my first one with that crap audience recording.

And Y2K, leave your email address and one of us can send you the mp3!

Back
Top Bottom