So, have we matched the NLOTH song titles to the beach clips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GodDAMMIT!!! If it's not Get your boots on then I think i'll KILL MYSELF!!!! IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT to me that a song has a PARTICULAR TITLE that is SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT to another suggested one!!!! IF IT'S NOT "GYOBO" then I'LL HATE U2 FOR THE REST OF MY LIVE!!!!!

Crazy tonight?!?! Yeah Rihgt! Soiunds like that rap guy Willia.am has had too much to do with this album!!!! I hate rap and black music, why can't everybody listen to U2 instead!!!! :mad: theyre the only good band!! It's so obvious....!

if clip 2 is Breathe, then I have no idea why Eno thinks this is the best U2 song he has worked on, I don't think it's much better than what I have heard on HTDAAB i.e. similar level to Crumbs On Your Table etc

I remember for awhile many were certain BC #1 was NLOTH....and we were saying how if it isn't then that would be incredible because the title track is surely going to be a great song...looks like that's what we have now :)

When I listen to beach clip #1 I hear the chorus of NLOTH clearly! The catchy chorus was talked about in the Q-interview. But I think this is the first 'ambient' version:hmm::hmm:. That means this version will not be included on the album as it looks for now.... I hope I'm not right, because the song of beachclip #1 is very beautiful....

For the rest of the beachclips I agree with a lot people:
2. Breathe
3. Get Your Boots On
4. Magnificent
5. Crazy tonight

I think Clip 5 is Crazy Tonight simply by process of elimination with the song descriptions. It's either CT, or it's not on the album, or it's a song that Q didn't mention.

Clip 1 = Unknown Caller for sure [lyrics and guitar solo put this beyond shadow of a doubt]
Clip 2 = Breathe for sure [lyrics]
Clip 3 = GYBO for sure [lyrics, tempo, description]
Clip 4 = Magnificent for sure [lyrics, description]

The evidence for each of these is very, very strong at this point. Q quoted lyrics for Clips 1 and 4 that clinched what most of us were already guessing.

Clip 5 doesn't sound like a dance/hip hop piece to me, it's quite a slow song, I don't know where Will.I.Am. comes in here. IF this song is on the album, I hope they re-worked it, because I still don't like the clip very much. It just doesn't seem to have a proper structure or chorus.

Well the printed version of Q Magazine has "Get on your boots." I would trust that more than the website. Also in the beach clip you can hear Bono say "Get on your boots" towards the end of the song. As far as I can tell he never says "Get Your Boots On."

^ I've always felt that "Get on your boots", while grammatically questionable, fits the rhythm of that song better than "Get your boots on".

Clip 5 doesn't sound like a dance/hip hop piece to me, it's quite a slow song, I don't know where Will.I.Am. comes in here. IF this song is on the album, I hope they re-worked it, because I still don't like the clip very much. It just doesn't seem to have a proper structure or chorus.

Where the hell did you get dance/hip hop???

It's a pop song in the Phil Spector vain. That's about as far from either of those music categories as possible. Don't let Will.I.Am's involvement confuse you.

Edit: Ah, purpleoscar, I see you beat me to it.

I think clip 5 is the first version of No Line on the Horizon. Or a song that didn't make the cut, maybe Only Love.

To be honest, i hope the clips have changed since then. dont hipe the new album with bullshit like "edges best guitar solo of his life" when that, based off the beach clips, isnt true. i hope edge shreds like he did on the lovetown on so you wanna be a rock and roll star snippet. he did on the beach clip 2 around 3:00. it's not boring, you're a guitarist, youre sup'osed to push the fuckin boundaries every album. IDK, i guess im too pumped up for the next album :hyper: :shrug:

Shredding is hardly pushing the boundaries everyone and their granny has been doing it since the late 70's and before that you had the equally pointless blues based dullness of the late 60's and 70's. Shredding sounds reasonably impressive but is normally pretty simple to do with a bit of practice and EVERYONE does it so it's hardly innovative. I'd take a Fly or Until the end of the world type solo (you know where there is a proper melody) over any sort of fret wankery. The solo in clip 1 sounds like a decent melodic solo from what is a pretty poor quality clip. If you want shredding then a U2 album isn't the place you're going to find it.

Just like to make a query here. In the Q mag special the reporter says that as he is interviewing Bono they are working on a song that has just been written called "Breathe" but as we all know this song was in the can back in august. That doesn't really make sense. I suppose it could have been redone and that's what the Q man really meant. In the beach clip Bono sings "walk out onto the streets" and on the newer version I think it's been changed to "step out onto the streets".

Just like to make a query here. In the Q mag special the reporter says that as he is interviewing Bono they are working on a song that has just been written called "Breathe" but as we all know this song was in the can back in august. That doesn't really make sense. I suppose it could have been redone and that's what the Q man really meant. In the beach clip Bono sings "walk out onto the streets" and on the newer version I think it's been changed to "step out onto the streets".

I was wondering about this too. I think Breathe may be structurally the same (the flow, general lyrics) but the actual instrumentation and riffs may have changed a good deal.

i think will.i.am may have helped with basslines

that's about it.

I think we will be pleasantly surprised by Adam's new groove.

i think it would be wise to listen to Prodigy - Narayan from the fat of the land LP to get a sense of arabic rhythm influences

Edit: also Climbatize, Medusa's path for arabic dance influences.

Really? Where did it say that? i must have missed it. I read the article twice and picked up stuff the second time that I had missed on the first go round so its possible I missed that tid bit.

Page 48 in Q, near the bottom of the page and it starts with "Four days later....". It doesn't say "just been written" although it does say "are only beginning to record in this final fortnight", which to me implies they haven't recorded the song yet upto that point? But given that the beach clips were out in August and this song "Breathe" is an absolute certainty that its beach clip 2 then U2 are telling porkies hehehe. I think the song has maybe been re-structured etc. Hopefully they haven't gone and done an "over-produced" job on these tracks cos that would be a shame. U2 at their best have a raw edge, for example the intro to The Fly, with the guitar clip at the start and then the drums come in and then the song starts proper. Things like that make it sound raw and not over produced.

I think beach clip 1 is a pretty good bet for "Unknown Caller". You can definetly hear "Reboot Yourself".

Page 48 in Q, near the bottom of the page and it starts with "Four days later....". It doesn't say "just been written" although it does say "are only beginning to record in this final fortnight", which to me implies they haven't recorded the song yet upto that point? But given that the beach clips were out in August and this song "Breathe" is an absolute certainty that its beach clip 2 then U2 are telling porkies hehehe. I think the song has maybe been re-structured etc. Hopefully they haven't gone and done an "over-produced" job on these tracks cos that would be a shame. U2 at their best have a raw edge, for example the intro to The Fly, with the guitar clip at the start and then the drums come in and then the song starts proper. Things like that make it sound raw and not over produced.

I think beach clip 1 is a pretty good bet for "Unknown Caller". You can definetly hear "Reboot Yourself".

Oh...okay. THAT'S what you're referring to. I found that a bit odd as well. Why would they say that they were just STARTING to record a song that supposedly was leaked months earlier??? :huh: I think they probably meant that they were about to officially lay down the track. Who knows....maybe they totally gutted the original song and retooled it. Hopefully for the better.

I will run around my office naked if any of those 4 are not correct.

#1 Unknown Caller
#2 Breathe
#3 Get Your Boots On
#4 Magnificent

it's going to be weird not having these in order once the album comes out.

Back
Top Bottom