Now Mercy is going to be on the new album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
agree - why would they release a song that the world already knows about... not new then is it...

bazza said:
agree - why would they release a song that the world already knows about... not new then is it...

The online U2 fanbase isn't the world...

That said, I wouldn't care if they didn't release it - I still don't feel all that strongly for the song. :shrug:

I think they'll put it on the new album as much as they put A Celebration on War, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me on Pop, and Electrical Storm on the Bomb.

the tourist said:
I think they'll put it on the new album as much as they put A Celebration on War, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me on Pop, and Electrical Storm on the Bomb.

Well, HMTMKMKM and "Electrical Storm" were already big hits that half the world already knew, not to say that they were recorded in different sessions from those that made the respective albums (you reffered).

"Mercy" is a song that a part of the online U2 fanbase know - and every week it comes someone on the forum that didn't know the song yet.

Aygo said:

Well, HMTMKMKM and "Electrical Storm" were already big hits that half the world already knew, not to say that they were recorded in different sessions from those that made the respective albums (you reffered).

"Mercy" is a song that a part of the online U2 fanbase know - and every week it comes someone on the forum that didn't know the song yet.

Fair. However, the Achtung Baby tapes came out and most of that stuff didn't wind up on an album. Even though some of it sounded really close to (if not) finished (with only mixing needed, like Mercy). If we take that example as a compass, then it won't be on the album. If the album is a double album, I'm all for it being included. If the album is only 10-11 songs, then I sincerely hope it isn't a part of the album since, to me, it's not new. AND because I'm not particularly fond of the current mix of it. So much so that the whole song leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

the tourist said:

Fair. However, the Achtung Baby tapes came out and most of that stuff didn't wind up on an album. Even though some of it sounded really close to (if not) finished (with only mixing needed, like Mercy). If we take that example as a compass, then it won't be on the album. If the album is a double album, I'm all for it being included. If the album is only 10-11 songs, then I sincerely hope it isn't a part of the album since, to me, it's not new. AND because I'm not particularly fond of the current mix of it. So much so that the whole song leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Yeah, that's right too. But, once again, many few people knew the stolen demos recorded in Berlin. Achtung Baby was a huge surprise when it came out exactly because it was different, and as Bono said that (although we can recognize many of the songs) they're just experiments in a goblet, and a little bit far from the final product.

Everybody is turning their noses because everybody wants a big revenge against the play-safe mode of the last two albums, but we have no guarantee that it's what's gonna happen.
Remember all that (even though the next releases become far more experimental) Bono said recently that a U2 album is not worthy if it's not a rock album (he said something like this...). We don't know in which way "Mercy" is being reworked, if the lyrics are being rewritten and in which way Eno/Lanois can influence it with their input.

the tourist said:

I've made a few posts about this song - I'm supportive of it. I think it has more raw emotion than all of HTDAAB. It's that attribute of it that I'd like to see on the new album. I'm not going to say the song is perfect - there are a lot of parts that are not. It drags, the mix is a bit awkward, and some of the lyrics are a bit cliche-U2.

I'm just afraid that reworking the song could take away that raw emotion, as U2 has a reputation of doing with some of their work - producing it to death.

If the song takes a different form on the album its ok with me as long as the finished product makes me feel the same way as this song does - which is obviously the case with a lot of the finished material on AB related to the Salome bootlegs.

I've heard a lot of talk of a double album. Why is that? The exact quote was 'enough material for two albums,' not a double album. U2 would never release a double album - even as cool as RHCP make it seem. Aren't they the proponents of a strict 10-11 song album, and that CDs ruined true albums because bands can include 15-16 songs? I'm not saying this is a true statement, talking strictly from U2's perspective. If anything I think he meant the statement to hyperbolize how much material they are swamped with at the moment, or maybe even as a stretch you could interpret another Eno-Lanois collaboration ala Passengers which was rumored a while ago.

I don't see why you'd want Mercy on a double album any more than on a 10-11 track album. Wouldn't that just be a single coherent album turned into a double album full of - in your opinion - filler material that isn't new?

Needle_Chill said:

I don't see why you'd want Mercy on a double album any more than on a 10-11 track album. Wouldn't that just be a single coherent album turned into a double album full of - in your opinion - filler material that isn't new?

I would opening and gladly take filler. Why? Because 10 songs of filler would help to ease the 4 years in between albums.

Needle_Chill said:
I've heard a lot of talk of a double album. Why is that? The exact quote was 'enough material for two albums,' not a double album. U2 would never release a double album - even as cool as RHCP make it seem.

In fact, no quote tells us that there's gonna be a double album, it only says that the guys have plenty of material for more than one disc.

I can't remember when (maybe during the early 90's?), but didn't one of the guys said somewhere once that U2 would never release double albums?

Aygo said:

In fact, no quote tells us that there's gonna be a double album, it only says that the guys have plenty of material for more than one disc.

I can't remember when (maybe during the early 90's?), but didn't one of the guys said somewhere once that U2 would never release double albums?

One of the guys also said two crap albums and they're done. :shrug:

Needle_Chill said:

I've heard a lot of talk of a double album.

There's a lot of talk. Maybe, maybe too much talk ... But "Mercy" might become a real classic U2 song, hopefully it will be on the album. It's time for a song, that's longer than 6 minutes and that has atmosphere ...

ZOOTVTOURist said:

There's a lot of talk. Maybe, maybe too much talk ... But "Mercy" might become a real classic U2 song, hopefully it will be on the album. It's time for a song, that's longer than 6 minutes and that has atmosphere ...

Maybe with decent mixing it would be okay. But the current mixing is soooooo terrible. And what the fuck is with that repeated guitar line throughout all the verses? The weird distorted one? Yeah, that needs to get cut right out.

ZOOTVTOURist said:

Haha, did you intentionally drop in that line from UABRS? "There's been a lot of talk about this next song. Maybe, maybe too much talk..."

I would love a long, atmospheric song on the next album, but my main concern is the emotion that comes out in this song. Bono's letting it out, instead of singing what sounds like improv after taking a shot in the balls ala COBL.

All My Life sounds like it's gonna be the stand out track on the new album. The guitar is pretty damn good and B-man's singing is just perfectly harmonized with it.

ZOOTVTOURist said:

Everyone here, try playing Bad (studio version) and Mercy back to back. With the exception of Lemon, Please and All I Want is You, Bad is really the last 'long song' that Mercy compares this closely to.

In no way am I saying it's near as good as it's predecessor, but Mercy gives me a similar feeling as Bad, especially when comparing simply the album versions on UF to what we've heard of Mercy.

Bad creeps up on you from the start and builds up to around the 4:20-5:25 mark where it takes off, but not completely. Mercy, again, the build up then 4:40-6:02 it just opens wide up, but doesn't explode, then tones itself down to the close that trails off ala Bad. Both have strong refrains: "I'm wide awake, I'm wide awaaaaake, I'm not sleeping" vs. "Love will come again, I'll be gone again, Agaaaaain".

Neither song peaks too high, Edge doesn't go nuts like in AIWIY, or Please (single version), theres lots of repetition lyrically and from the entire band and neither seems like they want to end, plus the keyboards/synths are huge in Bad, as I'd imagine they are in Mercy.

If ever played live, I think Mercy would be a perfect set up song as is Bad for the highlight songs and for snippeting. Chicago 4 in 2005, Bad was loaded with snippets- Norwegian Wood, Sexual Healing, 40. Mercy could find its pieces and do similar things.

They seem like long lost cousins, if not closer relatives. I like the brooding nature of both songs, for some reason feels like Joy Division/ Arcade Fire.

Last edited:
theFly51 said:
All My Life sounds like it's gonna be the stand out track on the new album. The guitar is pretty damn good and B-man's singing is just perfectly harmonized with it.

I can't remember if I've written this somewhere else but as much as I love this song it is too similar to Walk On musically - especially if you try to ignore the vocals and listen to the chord progression in the chorus.

But it's got a lovely, catchy melody and that ending is really sweet.

The_Edge89 said:

I can't remember if I've written this somewhere else but as much as I love this song it is too similar to Walk On musically - especially if you try to ignore the vocals and listen to the chord progression in the chorus.

But it's got a lovely, catchy melody and that ending is really sweet.

There are only so many chords. Progressions will tend to repeat when a band has 150+ songs. :shrug: Unless the band is progressive rock. But U2 is not.

the tourist said:

There are only so many chords. Progressions will tend to repeat when a band has 150+ songs. :shrug: Unless the band is progressive rock. But U2 is not.

I consider myself an amateur musician so I know how tough it is to write stuff even at this stage.

I didn't say it was a bad thing though. Walk On is without a doubt in my top 10, perhaps even higher.
The point of my post was that some people thought Crumbs was in fact "Walk On part II" and if U2 wants a complete depature from that type of sound with this album I think All My Life has to go unfortunatley perhaps they can finish it up with Rubin and release another album soon since that was "seperate material".

Then again, there's always traces of the classic U2 sound on every record that Eno/Lanois have produced and of course we can't know for sure what has happened between July 2006 and now.

Maybe U2 can release All My Life and Mercy as a non-album double-A-side single. Then it wouldn't disrupt the album, and fans of those songs would be satisfied.

Needle_Chill said:

Haha, did you intentionally drop in that line from UABRS? "There's been a lot of talk about this next song. Maybe, maybe too much talk..."

Yes, because that's what there is. I keep my fingers crossed for another epic tune a la "Bad" & others – let's call it: Have mercy with "Mercy"!

I think bono needs to lay off the africa preaching to everyone and get straight to the music. Forget saving the world for a tour and get into the music like they were in the 80's and 90's. And plus him having a 'character' (like ZooTv & Pop) to play would make it even better.

But maybe that might be just mee...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom