Does non-leak speak to U2's greed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's see...

U2 are a business. That's right (gasp!) a business! They are, at the end of they day, trying to make money. (Say it aint' so!)

They have spent several months (years?) creating a product. Something that represents their best efforts (we hope). And they want (wait for it) other people to pay to enjoy their product.

They will promote this product as much as possible. They will offer several versions of this product, knowing that some will be willing to pay more for a few extras. They will promote heavily via television, radio, internet (where are we anyway?) and ultimately, through a lavish tour filled with expensive merchandise and high priced tickets.

Is this greed? Then I guess every band on earth is greedy. Until they start giving it away for free, right? Maybe you'd like to start offering to go into work and provide your best efforts and talents for free? I'm sure your customers (or your boss, whatever the case may be) would love that.

Sorry, the real world doesn't work that way. No matter how badly you want it to. Not even for U2.

Exactly:up::up: The Greedy people are the ones, myself included, who want this thing to leak and get it for nothing. Of course, we will all buy it/download it legally, but we are a small fraction of the people who want to get the album. Many will be perfectly happy just having the songs and therefore will not buy it.

BTW I only include myself in this because I want it to leak for informational purposes only. I want to read all the real fan reviews here between now and when I buy it. However, I have made up my mind that the first time I will be listening to NLOTH in full will be March 3 with just me, my computer and a pair of headphones.

U2 is right to want to protect and be compensated for the work they did.

While I hope this doesn't get into the debate about artists producing art for money vs. production for the sake of art, this thought flew through my head today:

Is it really a surprise that of all the bands who have produced albums over the past two years, U2 seem to be the only one who have kept theirs from leaking? I was able to listen to Viva La Vida and Forth and some of Keane's song before any of those albums came out. I also was able to hear Oasis' shit (and for the record, The Shock of the Lightning destroys GOYB). Why is U2 so guarded with NLOTH? What happened to McGuinness saying U2 had a creative, new way to release the album?

Unfortunately, it seems all this tight-grip stuff is b/c they want people to be forced to buy the album - or at least have to wait until the album comes out to listen to it, which may entice them to buy it or download it legally on i-tunes or zune's network.

While I don't see anything wrong with making money, that's the world we live in, I just think it's quite fitting that it's Bono and the boys. I can see McGuinness now gripping the one master copy with his hands, locked up in some room with rounds of ammunition and tear gas and bloodshot eyes, repeating "must wait 'til February 27" over and over again.

Thoughts?

You again!

I mean seriously, if you dont want fights, why start them???

The Killers didnt leak, so your whole argument is defunct, but ill give you 3 more points anyway:

a) There is still over a week left, so it still may leak
b) What kind of person says that a band shouldn't try and maximise the profit from their art by protecting it until its legal release day? Thats moronic
c) Close the thread, because this is asinine drivel

I don't think it's just the band that wants it to not leak until the release date but the whole food chain wants to make this a big release for 2009.

What's more greedy? That U2 have given a release date and have stuck to it (so far); or that some fans feel they deserve to have it in their hands before that release date - for free, I might add?

That's actually a very valid point. However, I don't think that if the album leaked it would make a huge dent in sales. Let's be honest, the only people listening online are nutball fans like us all, and quite frankly, we're all buying the album no matter what. Hell, I'm buying the album if I hear the entire thing online and I think it sucks. I'll still be in line at midnight to buy it. So where is the dent in the sales? I'd be willing to be that almost 65% of their album sales are from the casual-to-somewhat musical enthusiasts. Those people aren't online looking for torrents or visiting this board. They're going to hear the album when it comes out, and if they like it, they'll download the songs they want on i-tunes or go buy the hard copy. Which leads me to my original point- why is U2 worried about it so much of all artists? Oasis and Coldplay made a huge killing this year on their albums. Bono and co. could not make money their entire lives and their great great great grandchildren will never have to work. I just wonder if they are not confident in the record?

Wow. I'm off to bed...I've stayed out of this "leak" business, but this is getting ridiculous. Looking back, this may become one of the most hysterical (literally) threads in history...

That's actually a very valid point. However, I don't think that if the album leaked it would make a huge dent in sales. Let's be honest, the only people listening online are nutball fans like us all, and quite frankly, we're all buying the album no matter what. Hell, I'm buying the album if I hear the entire thing online and I think it sucks. I'll still be in line at midnight to buy it. So where is the dent in the sales? I'd be willing to be that almost 65% of their album sales are from the casual-to-somewhat musical enthusiasts. Those people aren't online looking for torrents or visiting this board. They're going to hear the album when it comes out, and if they like it, they'll download the songs they want on i-tunes or go buy the hard copy. Which leads me to my original point- why is U2 worried about it so much of all artists? Oasis and Coldplay made a huge killing this year on their albums. Bono and co. could not make money their entire lives and their great great great grandchildren will never have to work. I just wonder if they are not confident in the record?

you missed his point.

Why on earth do you draw the conclusion that they are not confident in the record because they follow the same release pattern and structure AS EVERY OTHER BAND EVER, except for Radiohead. but who gives a fuck what they do?

Seriously, if you are genuinely argueing that they are greedy BECAUSE THE ALBUM HASN'T LEAKED, you may wish to check behind the couch, because your brain must have fallen out of one of your ears

I stay out for 25 min and you manage to come with this BS? Congrats! :doh:

The thing is, you're coming across as feeling you *deserve* to have the album for free, before its release date. I would also love to have an advance free copy of the album, but I certainly don't feel the band owes it to me.

Remember a few hundred years ago when the album came out on the release date, and we all went to Tower and bought it ?

I want to know what walkon274 makes of the tour dates not being leaked yet either. Are U2 so unconfident that they're afraid people don't want to see them live?

Remember a few hundred years ago when the album came out on the release date, and we all went to Tower and bought it ?

Those days were a lot more fun than witnessing a bunch of petulant bozos whining about not being able to get something illegally as soon as possible.

fixed. I was in a mad delerious rant while typing. nonsense like this infuriates me because, how long has it been WalkOn? A week? Yeah, its time for your weekly pissing competition!

Brother, I'm not even here to start an argument man. Why is it that any time someone posts something you don't like, it's drivel and the thread should be shut down? What follows is you doing exactly what you tell me and others not to do.

My original post carefully pointed out that I didn't want this to get into a capitalistic debate man. I'm not angry. This isn't an attack. It's just a fucking thought man. Isn't this a forum? Read the post, I make that clear. I understand people want to earn money.

My only point is - and again I don't think that it's hilarious or drivel or hysterical - the following:

Why is it U2 that's so damn anal about the leaking when they know, we know, they're haters know they'll sell 10 million copies? They're going to make money, period. It does not matter. Unless, of course, the album sucks, which was one thing I was thinking and thought people may get on about.

I don't think I'm dumb for thinking that. I also think come on, how ridiculous is this, Bono goes on and on about 3rd world debt and how my taxes gotta relieve people, yet look how childish they are with a musical record with 11 songs. Yeah that's right, MUSIC, not the cure for cancer or time travel or splitting the atom, fucking music. Don't you think that when you're worth more than the very countries you go on and on about, that worrying about whether you add 20 million on this album or 15 million to your fat bank account seems a little hypocritical?

While U2 will enjoy a handsome profit I don't think that is the reason for it being so heavily guarded. It is more about the ideology of the release.

U2 announced the release date as February 27 and March 3 and therefore want to make this a nostalgic event. If they can manage to hold of a leak of one of the most anticipated albums of the year imagine the atmosphere when its released at retailers.

That's what I genuinely believe U2 are aiming for.

I want to know what walkon274 makes of the tour dates not being leaked yet either. Are U2 so unconfident that they're afraid people don't want to see them live?

How about the fact that we dont even have the name and song titles for the record after NLOTH?

WE DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT LARRY IS DOING ON WEDNESDAY 17 DECEMBER, 2014 AT 5PM AFTER HE HAS HIS HAIR CUT!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I honestly don’t understand the connection you’re making. From their point of view, what is the point in letting it leak? Day 1 is Day 1. Do you get that? U2 are leaking the album. They’re leaking it on that day. They’ve told you what it is, are they arseholes for telling you and not surprising you?

And Paul McG isn’t sitting in a dungeon somewhere shooting out death threats all day every day as he receives word back from the satellite trackable sensors on every disc of this album manufactured in every country on the planet, running his fingers together, all “Eeexcellent”. He’s probably waking up every morning and calling someone at the office and asking “Did it leak overnight?” and getting “No, not yet” and then probably saying “Holy shit, that’s un-fucking-believable”.

My only point is - and again I don't think that it's hilarious or drivel or hysterical - the following:

Why is it U2 that's so damn anal about the leaking when they know, we know, they're haters know they'll sell 10 million copies? They're going to make money, period. It does not matter. Unless, of course, the album sucks, which was one thing I was thinking and thought people may get on about.

I don't think I'm dumb for thinking that. I also think come on, how ridiculous is this, Bono goes on and on about 3rd world debt and how my taxes gotta relieve people, yet look how childish they are with a musical record with 11 songs. Yeah that's right, MUSIC, not the cure for cancer or time travel or splitting the atom, fucking music. Don't you think that when you're worth more than the very countries you go on and on about, that worrying about whether you add 20 million on this album or 15 million to your fat bank account seems a little hypocritical?

This has to be really poor satire.

Brother, I'm not even here to start an argument man. Why is it that any time someone posts something you don't like, it's drivel and the thread should be shut down? What follows is you doing exactly what you tell me and others not to do.

My original post carefully pointed out that I didn't want this to get into a capitalistic debate man. I'm not angry. This isn't an attack. It's just a fucking thought man. Isn't this a forum? Read the post, I make that clear. I understand people want to earn money.

Look, man, I don't dismiss anything I don't like as drivel, I dismiss drivel as drivel. Again you fail to see that when 30 people are here telling you its drivel, you get your back up and won't listen.

Ok, man, you can't make a comment about them wanting more money by not letting it leak, and not get into the capitalist debate. It is the nature of the beast, no-one else's fault but yours for expecting it not to go there.

Finally, you AGAIN fail to see the point whereby they spent years creating the CD, and have set a date for its release. It is irresponsible to let it go before. not only to themselves, and would show a lack of care that people here argue is why Bomb was so disappointing.

If you genuinely feel so entitled that you demand to have an illegal copy of a cd that doesnt exist, you are a very very sad person.

They are anal about it becaus ethey created it, made it, brought it to life, and they have every fucking right to be anal about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom