Do You Think EVERYONE ELSE Will Like NLOTH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmm, I personally don't think casual fans will 'get it'. People who like 'Beautiful Day' and 'Vertigo' style songs, coz they're used for the football or whatever. Magnificent and Stand Up Comedy are more accessible tunes, and I reckon people will take to them. Not sure about the rest though!

My wife is a very hesitate U2 fan. She likes them enough, but only because she knows I'm such a big fan, and she tries to be supportive.

So when we went out Saturday night, I was playing the new album as we drove. She loved it! As she put it, each song was "vastly better than Get on your boots"! Maybe "Boots" has set the bar so low that everybody will think the rest of the album is amazing!

I don't really think "Boots" is the best choice for 1st single, and maybe shouldn't have been a single at all. However, I'm surprised at how universally hated it seems to be. It's a worldwide flop. Even playing at the Grammy's and BRITS, despite not having any nominations, didn't help the song at all.

A little background: my wife is a huge country & western fan but likes U2. I am quite certain that she would not be a fan of U2 if not for me playing them constantly for the past 25 years.

Anyway, she was not too thrilled with GOYB. She has heard Magnificent and MOS and enjoyed them both. I asked her to pick one other song to hear and she chose White as Snow. Her response - she started crying. She has never reacted like that to a U2 song before.

I don't think she will mind me getting the box set now. :D

I have let a few ppl hear the songs. Not really fans of u2...but they have ALL liked what they heard! I think it could be the most coomercial and wide appealing album they have done to date

I asked her to pick one other song to hear and she chose White as Snow. Her response - she started crying. She has never reacted like that to a U2 song before.

Funny how many people are responding the same way. I think it is quite possibly the most beautiful song they have ever written. And thats coming from someone who has been a HUGE fan since boy.
I think they could do a lot worse than release this song as a single. think it would appeal to a lot of people

I've played a few songs to a couple of casual fans. They both loved it. A good friend of mine likes u2 but is a classic rock guy and thinks they've gone south since Joshua Tree.

He heard Breathe and UC and loved it.

So not sure....there won't be any big hits from this album, despite its quality.

I feel like U2 is in a tough position. They're not hip enough for the Radiohead/indie crowd, but they're hardly gonna get the kids listening to rap/pop/emo/Nickelback/"alternative" crowd, and of course they're not technically proficient enough for the metalheads. I suppose their main audience is Coldplay fans :wink:

seriously, I know there's a ton of U2 fans, but I wonder where the hell they are. My friend lives on the East Coast and says there's a ton of fans there, so maybe that's it? Very few people I know like U2 and pretty much no one is a fanatic like me... college hipsters :angry:

It will be interesting to see how this album does. Honestly, I have no idea. It will certainly sell millions because it's U2, but it could be a "failure" like Pop. With 5 star reviews though, hopefully not. I doubt reviews are the main reasons album sell though.

I LOVE Get On Your Boots but I think they should have went with Magnificent as a first single...I feel like that song would have been a big hit. Hopefully when it is a single it will do well :up: oh and people may be opposed to this but, I wish U2 would do another iPod ad. It worked for Vertigo, and it worked for Viva La Vida ... the people who would be most annoyed by it would be the people who hate U2 anyway, and there's not much of a chance of getting them to buy a U2 album, ever.

Back
Top Bottom