Band News from HQ!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: Oh So True...

Zootlesque said:
Instead they want to overcook the album and release an overproduced mess like HTDAAB? :happy: :up:

lol. I mean.. they can talk about the new album all they want but why do they have to keep bringing up how Pop was such a lesson learned blah blah blah? Whatever they say it is still a fucking good record!

because the artist will always hear what isnt there and what couldve been.

Last edited:
by the way im fucking stoked about this news, i can just hear bono chant/wailing. i can only imagine what edge is gonna be working with oh my god. i bet he's going to have a whole soundscape to himself, like 1/2 of U2 and enolan the other half of the sound edge's creation. I bet he's creaming himself on this one. the opportunity is certainly there. And then larry, with moroccan drums, like in that beatles song and desert rose but with a militant beat. then theres always the most crucial adam effect that makes the song. and im happy to hear with the quote that they arent trying to be cute anymore. I cant wait to see the persona/look bono comes up with. I have a feeling this record is gonna change a lot of people's minds about U2.

Re: Re: Oh So True...

Zootlesque said:

lol. I mean.. they can talk about the new album all they want but why do they have to keep bringing up how Pop was such a lesson learned blah blah blah? Whatever they say it is still a fucking good record!

:up: Totally agree!!

I think with the "Pop" scenario they refer to the fact that they foolishly booked a tour before the album was finisthed. I totally agree with them here and are great they are cautious this time. Of course, some people jump on the POP remarks immediatly and come to quick conclusions. Crap. The only interesting thing is the new album and that it will be out soon. And I'm starting to get very excited about the tour, and very nervous!!!!

I am pleased with this news

what this bascially tells us is they're essentially done recording and are now finalizing the album and starting the whole marketing machine

I predict more beach clips this summer

t8thgr8 said:
by the way im fucking stoked about this news, i can just hear bono chant/wailing. i can only imagine what edge is gonna be working with oh my god. i bet he's going to have a whole soundscape to himself, like 1/2 of U2 and enolan the other half of the sound edge's creation. I bet he's creaming himself on this one. the opportunity is certainly there. And then larry, with moroccan drums, like in that beatles song and desert rose but with a militant beat. then theres always the most crucial adam effect that makes the song. and im happy to hear with the quote that they arent trying to be cute anymore. I cant wait to see the persona/look bono comes up with. I have a feeling this record is gonna change a lot of people's minds about U2.

you are serious throughout this entire post right?

:hmm: so they already have singles picked out? interesting...they're actually further along in the album process than I previously assumed...It's still very surprising to me the almost mysterious aura surrounding this album....no confirmed titles (only rumored to be confirmed titles :wink:), not one word about the album name, the theme, topics....well I guess that just means a lot to look forward to :shrug:

oh and what do you guys think "hard" means in this context? hard rock? something like Love and Peace? I hope note.... :confused:

:uhoh: :yikes: Morrocan influences??

I can only imagine this in a form like for example "Mysterious Ways" when it comes to percussion and rhythm...
Other than that seems horrible to me..!

"Fast Cars" I find an absolute drama and annoying to the max! Nerv-wracking nervous chords, terrible whaling by Bono, the song in the end just going nowhere. It's not even good enough as a demo. Then when it really has to be a song like that, I find "Xanax and Wine" a little bit better to digest..

If half of the new album sounds like "Fast Cars" then we have definite proof that U2 is down the drain. No new idea's in the house and every book has been read.

Come on: when "a new sound" means a sound of a country what do we get in upcoming albums?
2011: The new U2-album: with real Japanese influences!
2015: The new U2-album: with real Polish influences!
2019: The new U2-album: with real Indian influences!
2013: The new U2-album: with real Zimbabwe influences!
2017: The new U2-album: with real Venus-punk-rock influences!

Don't get me wrong: I have nothing against Morroco and I know I'm exaggerating.. But I just hope where we all long and hope for a real new sound by the band, we won't be left in the cold because "new sound" just means "morrocan sounds/structures" poured over cliché/weak songs.

onyourkneesboy: I can only imagine this in a form like for example "Mysterious Ways" when it comes to percussion and rhythm... "Fast Cars" I find an absolute drama and annoying to the max! Nerv-wracking nervous chords, terrible whaling by Bono, the song in the end just going nowhere. It's not even good enough as a demo. Then when it really has to be a song like that, I find "Xanax and Wine" a little bit better to digest.. f half of the new album sounds like "Fast Cars" then we have definite proof that U2 is down the drain. No new idea's in the house and every book has been read.
exactely my opinion.
1) if you wanna hear some kind of 'marrocan influenced' (rock)music than please take time and listen to the album NO QUARTER by jimmy page & robert plant.
2) this isn't a new sound at all.

Allegra said:
The following is off of a thread in Zootopia. These are some of the people who were at HQ last week...

odranoc replied:

Quick Post

One part of album will have strong Moroccan influence for definite. The singles have been picked and work is commencing on Radio edits of all. Band deciding what tracks are going on to album. Also some very up tempo / hard stuff on there

Be there for 3 weeks minimum but maybe up to six depending on progress with mixes, video, photography etc. On schedule for November release but if they dont make that it will be March with tour delayed. Will not rush it out as they dont want another POP scenario.

Adam on vacation and Bono away on DATA business, no word as to when they'll be back.

Edge signed my Vertigo 10", was in great form, slaggin him about taking half days! It was only 12 when he left last night.

Larry done a runner but did "sign" the [Zootopian] banner in private and got Sam [U2's drum tech] to give it back, ink was still wet when he drove away though!!

(Then someone wanted to know who spilled the beans, next is the response...)

monica martino replied:

Straight from Sam's voice. He stopped to talk with us last night after he gave us the banner, helped Edge to move with car, checked we didn-t hurt him and realizing we were cool (which he already understood during the last two days..) but that's a long story and now I need to run...
Ciaooooooooo

:dance:

Wow! This is some of the first real news from someone on the inside!

Thanks, I wish Edge had said some of this in his latest album talk.

Sounds like a departure again, Morocco/hard/up tempo songs. :hyper:
I think March release talk is just a worst case precautionary scenario. Remember this is Eno and Lanois producing, not an army of producers like 1997 and 2004.
And yes, Pop would have benefited from a delayed release (which isn't saying it's a bad album in itself) - if there's one U2 album where the live versions really outdo the studio takes it's Pop.

Last edited:
I say YES to any Marrocain/Arabic/Oriental influence any time, bring it on! And if it is like Fast Cars, even better. I love the song, it's totally under appreciated. They murdered it live, though, but the album version is great. When I first heard it I was like: Wow, that's something totally unexpected from U2. I love that they did this. I hope it's true that these influences will be strong on the new album.

jacobus said:
2) this isn't a new sound at all.
I don't know whether to ridicule this statement because it's so damn obvious since "new sounds" is ridiculously overused or because you've come to this conclusion without even hearing 1 note of the songs

:up:

Coldplay's new album is apparently Moroccan influenced too. I hope that this isn't seen as part of a new "scene".

I think that the Pop quote referred to the tour only, as someone said earlier, not the actual album. They don't want to book a tour without the album being finished which I think is fair enough!

@salome:
my opinion is based on a 'new sound' direction similar the sound of FAST CARS. its not a 'new sound' at all.
but for U2 its 'new' as last unicorn said.
btw i still really like MYSTERIOUS WAYS but i never liked FAST CARS

jacobus said:
@salome:
my opinion is based on a 'new sound' direction similar the sound of FAST CARS. its not a 'new sound' at all.
since I have a day off work and it's my gf's bday I'm in an extremely good mood today

but your post hardly makes any sense at all

your opinion is based on a direction similar to the sound of Fast Cars??
who has said the new album will sound anything like Fast Cars??

I say the new album will sound like an extended version of the hokey pokey with added guitar work that has similarities to Maroccan music
therefore it's unoriginal and I won't buy it

This all sounds good. No need to rush anything, we can listen to it whenever we get it and make our minds up then. In the meantime, if you want to know what Moroccan might sound like, try hearing what it sounds like when Eno is involved. Two tracks - 'Regiment' and 'The Carrier' - from his 1981 album with David Byrne My Life in the Bush of Ghosts give a fairly good indication of what it might sound like; 'The Carrier' has a particularly Eno-with-U2/Passengers feel to it.

On another note, it might be worth thinking about this outside the box too - Thom Yorke once said that 'The Clock' from his Eraser album was heavily influenced by the Malian band Tinariwen, by which he meant that he was thinking of the cyclical style of playing and its odd timings. Having listened to the extracts from the Fez sessions on Daniel Lanois's Here Is What Is documentary, I think that this is the fashion we'll see the Moroccan influence at its most visible. Exciting stuff indeed.

PookaMacP said:
This all sounds good. No need to rush anything, we can listen to it whenever we get it and make our minds up then. In the meantime, if you want to know what Moroccan might sound like, try hearing what it sounds like when Eno is involved. Two tracks - 'Regiment' and 'The Carrier' - from his 1981 album with David Byrne My Life in the Bush of Ghosts give a fairly good indication of what it might sound like; 'The Carrier' has a particularly Eno-with-U2/Passengers feel to it.

On another note, it might be worth thinking about this outside the box too - Thom Yorke once said that 'The Clock' from his Eraser album was heavily influenced by the Malian band Tinariwen, by which he meant that he was thinking of the cyclical style of playing and its odd timings. Having listened to the extracts from the Fez sessions on Daniel Lanois's Here Is What Is documentary, I think that this is the fashion we'll see the Moroccan influence at its most visible. Exciting stuff indeed.

My Life in the Bush of Ghosts is a fantastic album! and Regiment is my fave track...

I think Fast Cars will be seen as a stepping stone to the next record. There was an essence of something in that song..

onyourkneesboy said:
:uhoh: :yikes: Morrocan influences??

Don't get me wrong: I have nothing against Morroco and I know I'm exaggerating.. But I just hope where we all long and hope for a real new sound by the band, we won't be left in the cold because "new sound" just means "morrocan sounds/structures" poured over cliché/weak songs.

um...

:eyebrow:

you do realize they actually recorded in morocco right? therefore this should not be a surprise to you... :huh:

i don't know how 4 irish lads can capture Moraccan music...

I suppose Mysterious Ways might mean "Moraccan" to them.

but i suppose if they are recording there, they could prove me wrong.

last unicorn said:
I say YES to any Marrocain/Arabic/Oriental influence any time, bring it on! And if it is like Fast Cars, even better. I love the song, it's totally under appreciated. They murdered it live, though, but the album version is great. When I first heard it I was like: Wow, that's something totally unexpected from U2. I love that they did this. I hope it's true that these influences will be strong on the new album.

:up::up:

Fast Cars is pretty much my favorite song (not included) on the Bomb... along with COBL. I would lovvve it if they went in that direction! Maybe not every song on the album but at least a handful for people to refer to it as.... oh that eastern influenced U2 album from 2008! :wink:

ETA: I've never heard or seen Fast Cars live though. Gotta search youtube or something.

Zootlesque said:
ETA: I've never heard or seen Fast Cars live though. Gotta search youtube or something.

I was there when they played it for the first time in Toronto :drool: It was an odd experience to be surrounded in GA by all these people who had no idea what this song was and what the words were :lol:

I am personally glad to have anything, whether it's "Moroccan influenced" or not.

elevated_u2_fan said:
I was there when they played it for the first time in Toronto :drool: It was an odd experience to be surrounded in GA by all these people who had no idea what this song was and what the words were :lol:

Haha why do n00bs get GA? :down: :tsk:

You didn't bootleg it? :(

elevated_u2_fan said:

I think it's fair to say Bono didn't know either.

:lol:

gohaw said:

you mean another shite record, that people really say they like, cause it makes them feel "different."

i love pop, it came out when i was in high school and it was really the album that took me over the top from being just a guy who likes u2 to a guy who loves u2, and i feel no different about this fact, nor do i want to be.

the best thing about opinions is that they're the only things that are truely yours.

ok but Fast Cars is short and choppy and doesn't allow Bono to soar- as a result, the song gets boring and verges on annoying...I haven't heard Fast Cars in a long time or something, maybe like last month...but I could do without this Fast Cars sound that we're all speculating about

Back
Top Bottom