atu2.com rumour: TWO albums, one digital, one regular CD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never liked this attitude of "they're not supposed to get money for their work".

That's not it at all. Of course making music is U2's job, it's what puts food on the table and keeps a roof over their head. There's a difference between maintaining a healthy level of artistic creativity with good business sense, and being a greedy out-of-touch fool like Paul McGuinne$$. And if you think that's a baseless slur, all I need to do to demonstrate the accuracy of calling him a "greedy out-of-touch fool" is to point to his stance on ISPs. It's not a baseless slur to call somebody a greedy out-of-touch fool if they are a greedy out-of-touch fool like McGuinne$$ is. The fact we even know the name of U2's manager speaks volumes.

As far as I'm concerned, McGuinne$$ is the correct spelling of his name. It's not childish; it's getting things right.

I totally agree with that Iskra is saying.

I've never liked this attitude of "they're not supposed to get money for their work". Thank God they are clever enough to be good not only in music, but also in business.

Paul made U2 who they are today, they have been loyal to each other for so many years. He's a good manager who has his clients' best interest at heart, we should be a little more respectful towards him.

But...but having his clients best interest at heart = greedy asshole. We shouldn't even know his name. :tsk: What really speaks volumes are the people getting all defensive after being called out on a lame spelling.

That's not it at all. Of course making music is U2's job, it's what puts food on the table and keeps a roof over their head. There's a difference between maintaining a healthy level of artistic creativity with good business sense, and being a greedy out-of-touch fool like Paul McGuinne$$. And if you think that's a baseless slur, all I need to do to demonstrate the accuracy of calling him a "greedy out-of-touch fool" is to point to his stance on ISPs. It's not a baseless slur to call somebody a greedy out-of-touch fool if they are a greedy out-of-touch fool like McGuinne$$ is. The fact we even know the name of U2's manager speaks volumes.

As far as I'm concerned, McGuinne$$ is the correct spelling of his name. It's not childish; it's getting things right.

:rolleyes:
Gee, how to make a childish post with baseless slurs...
:tsk:

Apart from those baseless slurs, which you seem to love to make in that post, you haven't given any arguments. And gleefully bashing someone with childish 'alternative spellings' cannot be justified at all.

:lol: Really? It had nothing to do with the music? Just Paul McGuine$$?

Oh yes, his role in building the U2 phenomenon surely shouldn't be underestimated.

Of course it wasn't "only" him.

With another manager the band's carreer would have taken on a totally different direction.

U2 and Paul have a lot of respect for each other, there's a reason why they are still together after all of these years, maybe the fans should appreciate Paul's work a little more.

But of course there is also a lot of jealousy involved when it comes to money.

:lmao: wow Axver I didn't realize it was childish to explain your side of the story. Well done :lol:

Two quick points:

1. Can we NOT have a rule banning the use of $$ or %% or *$@#%* when talking about Paul McGuiness? Because the point here is to be able to express your thoughts freely, so long as you are not being personally hurtfull to other members and it can be done without CENSORSHIP. If you can't deal with how someone spells then IGNORE it and move on.

There is only one thing that pisses me off more than ignorance.....and thats censorship. If you don't like it, then don't read it. Let the idiots be idiots. Nuff said.

2. Can we get this thread back on topic....this is getting annoying

Thank you.

oh I get it now
music busine$$

lol
hahaha
hihihi

*snore

anyway
I don't really care how the new album(s) will be released
my only concern re. 2 albums in whatever form is that the band is overstretching
I know in theory they've had enough time for 2 albums (if not 3) of top quality material but if they end up officially releasing 2 albums and 1 of them being a bit of a dud then it will leave a bit of a sour taste in the long run

James released LAID (produced my Brian Eno) in October 1993

10 Months later they released WAH-WAH which was 23 tracks of experimentations from the same sessions.

U2 could do the same: a standard release in March followed by experimentations (perhaps under Passengers) as a digital release - or better still - as a real CD next November.

at the end of the day mcguinness is a businessman, not a musician; frankly im grateful for his obviously substantial contribution to u2's career over the years, im sure he has contributed far more than any of us could imagine in getting u2 to the platform that they now enjoy. good on him i say!

10 Months later they released WAH-WAH which was 23 tracks of experimentations from the same sessions.

U2 could do the same: a standard release in March followed by experimentations (perhaps under Passengers) as a digital release - or better still - as a real CD next November.

Both amazing albums!

OH NOEZ! i need to hav all my muzik on a palstic disc with onesandzeros all over it for it to be realz! like that song mercy!lol

Two quick points:

1. Can we NOT have a rule banning the use of $$ or %% or *$@#%* when talking about Paul McGuiness? Because the point here is to be able to express your thoughts freely, so long as you are not being personally hurtfull to other members and it can be done without CENSORSHIP. If you can't deal with how someone spells then IGNORE it and move on.

There is only one thing that pisses me off more than ignorance.....and thats censorship. If you don't like it, then don't read it. Let the idiots be idiots. Nuff said.

2. Can we get this thread back on topic....this is getting annoying

Thank you.

Here's someone who's got it right, Spot on! :up:

:drool: A fine set of albums...

Although Wah Wah was far too sketchy for casual fans...

I'd rather have physical CDs, but as long as I don't have to listen crappy lossy 128kbps audio files I can live. I think they should do what David Byrne/Brian Eno and Sigur Ros did with their latest albums. Pay a few bucks more online and be able to download full quality tracks, then when the CD is released it's immediately shipped to you.

I'd rather have physical CDs, but as long as I don't have to listen crappy lossy 128kbps audio files I can live. I think they should do what David Byrne/Brian Eno and Sigur Ros did with their latest albums. Pay a few bucks more online and be able to download full quality tracks, then when the CD is released it's immediately shipped to you.

You know you are absolutely correct.

It bugs the hell out of me that people keep dowloading such shitty music files by the millions. Are we that immune to poor quality recordings that we are willing to accept "Fast Food quality" style music files over the more sophisticated and complete REAL files?

Its like we've dumbed down the music buying public. It drives me nuts...absolutely nuts. I realize not everyone has a sophisticated and overly complex music system like I do, but c'mon people...if you turn up your volume dial to a remotely audible level or put on even the worst quality headphones or earbuds you can notice the difference between a piss poor music file and a quality one.

I know we want to walk around with a musical cluster fuck of a billion music files on an mp3 player the size of a stick of gum. You know, for those times when you have about 3 straight years to kill and want to sit under an oak tree with your iPod and listen to every song and every god damned sound ever recorded by man...from the first caveman fart all the way to the latest Jonas Brothers song (which really is kind of repetitive)

How about only walking around with a couple million GREAT quality songs? How about that? Huh?

UGH!!!!! RIDICULOUS! :mad:

Okay...rant over!

It bugs the hell out of me that people keep dowloading such shitty music files by the millions. Are we that immune to poor quality recordings that we are willing to accept "Fast Food quality" style music files over the more sophisticated and complete REAL files?

Its like we've dumbed down the music buying public. It drives me nuts...absolutely nuts. I realize not everyone has a sophisticated and overly complex music system like I do, but c'mon people...if you turn up your volume dial to a remotely audible level or put on even the worst quality headphones or earbuds you can notice the difference between a piss poor music file and a quality one.

I know we want to walk around with a musical cluster fuck of a billion music files on an mp3 player the size of a stick of gum. You know, for those times when you have about 3 straight years to kill and want to sit under an oak tree with your iPod and listen to every song and every god damned sound ever recorded by man...from the first caveman fart all the way to the latest Jonas Brothers song (which really is kind of repetitive)

How about only walking around with a couple million GREAT quality songs? How about that? Huh?

Okay...rant over!

There needs to be some education:

Turn Me Up! | Bringing Dynamics Back To Music

I want Blu-ray to start releasing albums. The original masters are SO much better. Listening to a DVD audio version of Dark side of the moon is INCREDIBLE! Even CD's are too compressed for me now. The technology has been there for years but the demand is going in the other direction.

There needs to be some education:

Turn Me Up! | Bringing Dynamics Back To Music

I want Blu-ray to start releasing albums. The original masters are SO much better. Listening to a DVD audio version of Dark side of the moon is INCREDIBLE! Even CD's are too compressed for me now. The technology has been there for years but the demand is going in the other direction.

Thanks for the link, lots of great info there.

I think with the amount of money people are beginning to spend and have already spent on LCD TV's, surround sound systems, and Blu-Ray there will be a market for higher quality sounding music. I know it'll happen...I just hope it happens sooner than later. I think the music industry is missing a golden opportunity to be able to sell better quality Blu-Ray and better quality digital files at a slightly higher cost by marketing them as premium sounding music or whatever jargon you want to slap on it.

When you go to the store you can buy basic cuts of meat and top cuts of meat. At the gas pump you're offered regular and premium. So why isnt there a readily available "premium" choice for music?

And just like you said, CD's just don't do it for me either. There needs to be something better.

I would imagine that iTunes downloads and their kin will start coming with attached credit or something as a discount for people who want to download higher-quality files.

Okay...rant over!

What a great rant, my feelings perfectly expressed right there.

Thanks for the link, lots of great info there.

I think with the amount of money people are beginning to spend and have already spent on LCD TV's, surround sound systems, and Blu-Ray there will be a market for higher quality sounding music. I know it'll happen...I just hope it happens sooner than later. I think the music industry is missing a golden opportunity to be able to sell better quality Blu-Ray and better quality digital files at a slightly higher cost by marketing them as premium sounding music or whatever jargon you want to slap on it.

When you go to the store you can buy basic cuts of meat and top cuts of meat. At the gas pump you're offered regular and premium. So why isnt there a readily available "premium" choice for music?

And just like you said, CD's just don't do it for me either. There needs to be something better.

DVD audio and SACD's were much larger files and they are the equivalent of the master and you can tell how much better it sounds. The Pet Sounds DVD audio is incredible even though it's a sixties record. We have original master DTS and uncompressed PCM on Blu-rays. We just need to nudge the record industry further. I'm sure they are worried about pirated copies of music in master quality so they avoid it. The guy at the music tap website responded to my email and he's totally cynical it will happen. I know that DVD-audio competed with SACD and so it failed to catch on. If people get used to Blu-ray and since HD-DVD is gone there may be more acceptance. The only download version I've seen that was higher than CD was The Slip by NIN.

Cross your fingers and dream of Achtung Baby in original master quality.:drool:

truth is music is just that "fast food" for the large majority of listeners. For the majority of people, spending money on equipment to get that extra "pop" is just not going to happen.But having said that, its not a matter of "if" but "when" so I'll guess we'll just have to wait.

Mind you, I'm of the "equipment" camp, I want quality!

DVD audio and SACD's were much larger files and they are the equivalent of the master and you can tell how much better it sounds. The Pet Sounds DVD audio is incredible even though it's a sixties record. We have original master DTS and uncompressed PCM on Blu-rays. We just need to nudge the record industry further. I'm sure they are worried about pirated copies of music in master quality so they avoid it. The guy at the music tap website responded to my email and he's totally cynical it will happen. I know that DVD-audio competed with SACD and so it failed to catch on. If people get used to Blu-ray and since HD-DVD is gone there may be more acceptance. The only download version I've seen that was higher than CD was The Slip by NIN.

Cross your fingers and dream of Achtung Baby in original master quality.:drool:

Brian Wilson was is a fucking musical genius....and total whack job. Pet Sounds is a perfect example of an album the requires a premium musical delivery because of all the different subtle sounds that are imbedded in each song. They were so ahead of their time on that album. One can argue that Pet Sounds kind of help lay the path for the Sgt. Peppers album. Actually I think one of the Beatles even mentioned that fact, But I digress.

I think there will be a demand for premium audio. I'm sure of it. The bad economy isn't exactly helping the movement though. I can imagine that its much easier to sell a song for $.99 as opposed to $2.99 or whatever it would cost.

All I know is that I would pay for it. Maybe if we get enough music nerds together we can get this thing rolling. :wink:

truth is music is just that "fast food" for the large majority of listeners. For the majority of people, spending money on equipment to get that extra "pop" is just not going to happen.But having said that, its not a matter of "if" but "when" so I'll guess we'll just have to wait.

Mind you, I'm of the "equipment" camp, I want quality!

You'd be surprised my friend.

I used to think the same way you do, but I've discovered that so many of my friends and so many of their friends have sophisticated musical equipment that it doesn't seem like such a stretch anymore. I even have buddies that have shelled out money for some tricked out new record players with all sorts of gagdets and stuff that play old albums better now then was possible back when albums first came out. My buddy played some Beatles albums on his system and it blew my mind.

I can't say that the teen crowd will share that pursuit, but who cares right?

You'd be surprised my friend.

I used to think the same way you do, but I've discovered that so many of my friends and so many of their friends have sophisticated musical equipment that it doesn't seem like such a stretch anymore. I even have buddies that have shelled out money for some tricked out new record players with all sorts of gagdets and stuff that play old albums better now then was possible back when albums first came out. My buddy played some Beatles albums on his system and it blew my mind.

I can't say that the teen crowd will share that pursuit, but who cares right?

I think what NIN did with large file downloads could be the future. I think nerds should focus on computers and getting programs that play formats or have people enjoy .wav formats that are larger than .wavs on CD's. If iPods continue to increase memory it will be possible to move large files on them.

Ultimately if Blu-ray gets going the demand for better sound would be there. Also Blu-ray has so much memory you could put entire masters on the Blu-ray and add visual content like lyrics, photos and video and still have memory left over.

I think what NIN did with large file downloads could be the future. I think nerds should focus on computers and getting programs that play formats or have people enjoy .wav formats that are larger than .wavs on CD's. If iPods continue to increase memory it will be possible to move large files on them.

Ultimately if Blu-ray gets going the demand for better sound would be there. Also Blu-ray has so much memory you could put entire masters on the Blu-ray and add visual content like lyrics, photos and video and still have memory left over.

By comparison, what are the average file sizes of mp3 versus wav files?

I didn't think the difference was so much that it couldn't work. I thought it was more like (3) mp3 files for every (1) wav file, right?

Back
Top Bottom