All signs point to a classic U2 album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I say classic, I don't mean classic U2 sound. I mean an album that pushes them back out into space

ATYCLB is "please the masses" music. a pretentious "return to form". an updated version of the "save the world" style from the 80's. nothing classic there

AB was the sound of 4 of the world's greatest rock and roll heroes showing everyone why they're heroes.

And NLOTH is four legendary musicians destroying the mainstream charts. :wink:

"after Pop, I think U2 stalled their interest in musical exploration" - ATYCLB was new teritorry for U2.

I think the only Bomb songs that could have been on ATYCLB were OOTS (which indeed started in the ATYCLB sessions) and AMAAW. Otherwise Bomb is a retro sound for U2.

Is the "third masterpiece"/classic album coming ? I doubt it. I do think we may be getting their best album since AB.

Neither ATYCLB nor HTDAAB is a classic!

Come on, don't compare those 2 to JT, AB or even TUF or War!

The next album might be a classic, it seems good... I smell it... :D

ATYCLB is "please the masses" music. a pretentious "return to form". an updated version of the "save the world" style from the 80's. nothing classic there

AB was the sound of 4 of the world's greatest rock and roll heroes showing everyone why they're heroes.

For sure, AB was a classic from the very beginning, it was hailed as such by most people as such at the time of release, it wasn't hailed as a clasic only in retrospect.

Htdaab>atyclb imo

Uh huh.

Nothing on HTDAAB was as significant as anything on ATYCLB.

Bomb has Love & Peace; which is a great song (which was a leftover I believe from All...)

Pop was their last truly great and innovative record. ATYCLB had it's flashes of brilliance in there (Stuck, BD, IALW, Walk On, New York) and was poignant for it's time. Bomb was average, not just 'cause of the bad production; but the songwriting was sub-par.

All Because of You> Anything on ATYCLB?

:doh:

I agree with basically everything you said about the last two albums, but I think it's early to be so sure about the new album. People were saying this stuff about Bomb too, and that album turned out being a big disappointment for a lot of people (including me).

I just get tired of people presuming things about this album. From what I've heard it does sound like an improvement, but I was so let down by U2 in the past I'm careful to pre judge now. When people say NLOTH will totally blow us away with it's uniqueness I can't help but laugh. I think some of you need to expand your musical horizons because U2 has never realeased anything that was so out there or different than what other bands have done. My biggest fear for this album is that U2 will use generic electro and world music influences that the mainstream really hasn't heard much and act like it's a new thing. U2 won't be doing anything that I haven't heard before, I'm extremely sure of that. Eno is there, though, and he has a pretty respectable creative resume, so I find hope in that.

That's been my biggest annoyance with U2 fans. They haven't heard much less popular music and whenever they hear something somewhat newish by U2's (and the mainstream's) standards they go balistic acting like the band has reached a new creative plateu, when in reality it's been done a million times before by other artists.

you expect their music to stay the same after 20+ years?

This makes no sense whatsoever. When has U2 ever sounded the same?

The point is that U2 in 2000 forward have become bland in comparison to anything before that. I'll still defend ATYCLB to an extent because I feel the songwriting was strong and the production was lush (though it didn't break any sonic territory). Bomb was sub-par even worse production.

Here's hoping No Line truly delivers.

When I say classic, I don't mean classic U2 sound. I mean an album that pushes them back out into space

But if they go back into space, it might be another five years til we get an album, while they go off looking for slices of Neptune.

Well, I think the comment from Edge about wanting people to not just bye the new record, but wanting it to be a record people really listen to again and again, over time, is the best indication that NLOTH will be something else. Though I like bomb, I wouldn't want a bomb part 2.
It's funny though, how everyone always expect innovative stuff from U2 (myself included), but never from any other band or artist. But this is what makes U2 survive changing times, you never know what you're gonna get next.

I think some of you need to expand your musical horizons because U2 has never realeased anything that was so out there or different than what other bands have done. My biggest fear for this album is that U2 will use generic electro and world music influences that the mainstream really hasn't heard much and act like it's a new thing. U2 won't be doing anything that I haven't heard before, I'm extremely sure of that. Eno is there, though, and he has a pretty respectable creative resume, so I find hope in that.

That's been my biggest annoyance with U2 fans. They haven't heard much less popular music and whenever they hear something somewhat newish by U2's (and the mainstream's) standards they go balistic acting like the band has reached a new creative plateu, when in reality it's been done a million times before by other artists.

So albums like Passengers, POP and Zooropa have been done a million times by other artists before U2? Enlighten me.

"U2 won't be doing anything that I haven't heard before, I'm extremely sure of that."

'Cause you've heard it all right? :lol:

So albums like Passengers, POP and Zooropa have been done a million times by other artists before U2? Enlighten me.

"U2 won't be doing anything that I haven't heard before, I'm extremely sure of that."

'Cause you've heard it all right? :lol:

Zooropa is most definitely very original and out there and was ahead of its time when released in the early 90's.

I'm very wary to what the band say about NLOTH. I remember reading that The Edge and Bono think that HTDAAB is there best album thus far so I really take there opinions with a grain of salt.

I believe that the decision to dump Rubin in favour of Lanois & Eno is one of the smartest decisons U2 have made in the 21st century. What this tells me is that they have learned something from the mistakes that made HTDAAB one of the most dissapointing albums in U2's history. Despite the accolades, the critics overwhelmingly positive responses and the initial fan response, U2 have conceded that the album had its faults. We have heard from Bono that it wasn't cohesive enough but we all know that isn't the only aspect which renders the album almost useless. The production is a HUGE fault, the loud compression & mixing, the double-track, octave shift vocals and the layered guitar tracks which fall into a giant digital abyss.

Rick Rubin would have only furthered this style of loud 21st century production. His work lately has been bordering on offensive. Listen to Weezer's 'Make Believe' or Chilli Peppers 'Stadium Arcadium' for examples of this heavily compressed, dynamically deficent production values. We all know Eno & Lanois get it, they not only get 'it', they get U2. They get that you can get so much more out of a pop song than simply putting a guitar in left channel, vox down the centre, compression etc etc. The greatest thing about achtung Baby is the ambient structures that the songs build apon. I strongly believe if the dynamic duo helmed Pop it would have been the masterpeice it threatened to be.

Hearing that U2 are getting restless and are after something different, I am greatly satisfied that Eno & Lanois are there to reign them in and let them go when it's the right time. I'm not sure what the general consensus of Coldplay's 'Viva La Vida' was but as far as production goes, I feel that Eno is at the top of his game. Coldplay are of course not in the same league as U2, but the sound of the album is perfect, warm and subtle when it has to be and harsh when it has to be.

Mark my words, 2009 is indeed the new 1991. This album will be the classic we all want.

I have to agree with this. HTDAAB has not lasted the test of time, to me it's over produced and lacks any cohesion (Larry Mullen has admitted this in U2 by U2) ATYCLB, AB, JT, TUF (Eno/Lanois) are all very decent records, particularly AB and JT which are two of the greatest records of all time. The only evidence we have that NLOTH will be a great record are the beach clips (Which to me sound very encouraging) with Lanois and Eno producing it also gives this record a great chance of being U2's third masterpiece

I have to agree with this. HTDAAB has not lasted the test of time, to me it's over produced and lacks any cohesion (Larry Mullen has admitted this in U2 by U2) ATYCLB, AB, JT, TUF (Eno/Lanois) are all very decent records, particularly AB and JT which are two of the greatest records of all time. The only evidence we have that NLOTH will be a great record are the beach clips (Which to me sound very encouraging) with Lanois and Eno producing it also gives this record a great chance of being U2's third masterpiece

The beach clips weren't that good IMO. Quality was shite so I really don't know how someone can have an opinion on the songs in the beach clips without hearing the real deal. To put it simply a good album obviously comes down to great lyrics and catchy tunes which were missing on HTDAAB (except maybe Vertigo). I'm hoping Bono goes off lyrically on this album and am really hoping the songs are addictive in that you really struggle to get the tunes out of your head. The band IMO are also under pressure to produce the goods, so its now or never.

And......I'm looking forward to jamming a few songs on the guitar which I haven't done since AB/Zooropa days :hyper:

The beach clips weren't that good IMO. Quality was shite so I really don't know how someone can have an opinion on the songs in the beach clips without hearing the real deal. To put it simply a good album obviously comes down to great lyrics and catchy tunes which were missing on HTDAAB (except maybe Vertigo). I'm hoping Bono goes off lyrically on this album and am really hoping the songs are addictive in that you really struggle to get the tunes out of your head. The band IMO are also under pressure to produce the goods, so its now or never.

And......I'm looking forward to jamming a few songs on the guitar which I haven't done since AB/Zooropa days :hyper:

I highly doubt the band are under any sort of record company pressure to come up with the 'goods'. U2 sell extremely well, and in this day & age, companies will do anything to hold on to such a huge commodity.

Also, to whoever said that U2 do things that are done by a thousand other bands - you are correct and incorrect at the same time. I listen to diverse music, everything from Susumu Yokota to bands that don't even exist yet so I know as much as you that Achtung Baby is not a completely revolutionary peice of work. However, it was exciting to see a HUGE stadium bvand completely turn the mainstream on its head and give the soccer mums something to think about. It comes down to execution and U2 did it with flair, personality, myth and irony and all of this on a worldwide scale. U2 are still huge, I saw them in a football stadium 3 years ago, people still listen and they can still do somethng different, and whilst that difference might not be original (like banging a whale with a burger ring hanging up side down) it will be exciting. Plus, the bands you listen to that are so different and obscure most likely sound like 1000 other bands too.

Trust me, it's all relative. U2 can actually effect the mainstream, so lets see what happens hay...

To put it simply a good album obviously comes down to great lyrics and catchy tunes which were missing on HTDAAB (except maybe Vertigo). I'm hoping Bono goes off lyrically on this album and am really hoping the songs are addictive in that you really struggle to get the tunes out of your head. :hyper:

:yes:

Songs like Mofo, Discotheque, Lemon etc. are all very, very catchy and those sorts of songs that you could put on repeat and never seem to lose interest in. :up:

I highly doubt the band are under any sort of record company pressure to come up with the 'goods'. U2 sell extremely well, and in this day & age, companies will do anything to hold on to such a huge commodity.

Not under pressure to produce the goods for the record company but under pressure to produce for their fans and themselves. Lets face it HTDAAB wasn't that good so they cannot make two dud albums in a row which is probably why they got Eno and Lanois on board to work some magic.

Also, to whoever said that U2 do things that are done by a thousand other bands - you are correct and incorrect at the same time. I listen to diverse music, everything from Susumu Yokota to bands that don't even exist yet so I know as much as you that Achtung Baby is not a completely revolutionary peice of work. However, it was exciting to see a HUGE stadium bvand completely turn the mainstream on its head and give the soccer mums something to think about. It comes down to execution and U2 did it with flair, personality, myth and irony and all of this on a worldwide scale. U2 are still huge, I saw them in a football stadium 3 years ago, people still listen and they can still do somethng different, and whilst that difference might not be original (like banging a whale with a burger ring hanging up side down) it will be exciting. Plus, the bands you listen to that are so different and obscure most likely sound like 1000 other bands too.

Trust me, it's all relative. U2 can actually effect the mainstream, so lets see what happens hay...

:up: What U2 have done before is to bring experimentation and different sounds into the mainstream. They themselves may have not been wildly original, but they have managed to put new sounds of the day into an infectious song that rides high in the singles charts. I hope we will be back to this on NLOTH.

To whoever was suggesting Achtung Baby was a classic only in retrospect, that's complete rubbish. It's been hailed unabated as a classic for over seventeen years!

"All signs point to a classic release"

I had this image in mind:

983582058_62d31a7e7d.jpg

Although the signs are positive, be cautious and prepared for anything.

HTDAAB had the most succesful singles from one album in U2's history so how you can says its one of U2 worst albums is beyond me!

Vertigo was one of U2 biggest ever radio songs and went to No1 here in UK
Sometimes was U2 first ever 2nd single from 1 album to go to No1 here in UK
City of Blinding Lights only missed No1 spot by less than 2,000 copies and was No2 here in UK
All Because of you was No 4

All the above meaning HTDAAB was u2 most Succesful for Single releases also add Original of the Species and Miracle Drug which also could of been huge single releases

HTDAAB had the most succesful singles from one album in U2's history so how you can says its one of U2 worst albums is beyond me!

Vertigo was one of U2 biggest ever radio songs and went to No1 here in UK
Sometimes was U2 first ever 2nd single from 1 album to go to No1 here in UK
City of Blinding Lights only missed No1 spot by less than 2,000 copies and was No2 here in UK
All Because of you was No 4

All the above meaning HTDAAB was u2 most Succesful for Single releases also add Original of the Species and Miracle Drug which also could of been huge single releases

Because the singles account for less than half of the album, and chart success and quality don't always go hand-in-hand?

Sometimes success doesn't equal quality, I think HTDAAB is a decent album though, some great tracks on it, a couple of classics imo (OOTS, COBL). But the production and songwriting let it down.

Back
Top Bottom