2011: When to expect a single

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just so long as these songs are released properly in a studio form I will be thrilled....album bound or not. I would actually love if some of these songs were b-sides, then we would have more material we haven't heard.
I'd be perfectly okay if this was the case with almost all the new songs they've played so far, as long as they still make occasional appearances live. EBW needs to be an honest-to-God single, though. :drool:

Waiting outside the stadium in Zurich I got to hear the full band rehearsal of North Star - it really sounded great. I think that would be a nice first single.

I was thinking the other day that if U2 want a successful radio hit again, then they need an optimistic and/or upbeat song. That's what a lot of their popular singles from the past have had in common. I'm thinking of "Beautiful Day," "Mysterious Ways," "Streets," and "Vertigo." "Boots" was a little tense and talked about Satan and things blowing up, so it doesn't fit the description of an optimistic song.

I agree, but Boots was just a terrible song period. It was B-side material at best.

For all we know it could be a song we have never heard before. This would actually be more exciting.

For all we know it could be a song we have never heard before. This would actually be more exciting.

Couldn't agree more! I actually hope all the songs we've heard get relegated to b-sides, so that we get an album 100% filled with songs we've never heard...

Re: when to expect a single

keep saying tomorrow and you'll eventually be right as well as eternally optimistic.

I was thinking the other day that if U2 want a successful radio hit again, then they need an optimistic and/or upbeat song. That's what a lot of their popular singles from the past have had in common. I'm thinking of "Beautiful Day," "Mysterious Ways," "Streets," and "Vertigo." "Boots" was a little tense and talked about Satan and things blowing up, so it doesn't fit the description of an optimistic song.

I would hope that if U2 seriously wants a successful radio hit again, that they try and market it better, I've noticed a pattern as of late, (maybe within these last 5-10 years), when a song is played on TV, be it, a glitzzy but "hip" award -show, or trendy but "hip" drama-tv series (i.e. Grey's Anatomy, House, Friends), the very next morning, radio stations seem to be playing those same songs over and over, it happened with Snow Patrol and "Chasing Cars", it happened with The Fray and "How To Save A Life", ...my girlfriend watches those shows religiously every damn Thursday for as long as I can remember and brought out this point to my attention, ...I on the otherhand, mostly watch sports, ...and on that note, here is a thought, maybe U2 should have volunteered their services to perform this Super Bowl Sunday. They really had a good showing during that incredible halftime show during their Elevation Tour! ...my point being, "hip" TV translates very well to a successful radio hit! ...anyone remember the Apple Vertigo commerical???? ...way "hipper" than Blackberry I would say, wouldn't you agree?! :hmm:

I would hope that if U2 seriously wants a successful radio hit again, that they try and market it better, I've noticed a pattern as of late, (maybe within these last 5-10 years), when a song is played on TV, be it, a glitzzy but "hip" award -show, or trendy but "hip" drama-tv series (i.e. Grey's Anatomy, House, Friends), the very next morning, radio stations seem to be playing those same songs over and over, it happened with Snow Patrol and "Chasing Cars", it happened with The Fray and "How To Save A Life", ...my girlfriend watches those shows religiously every damn Thursday for as long as I can remember and brought out this point to my attention, ...I on the otherhand, mostly watch sports, ...and on that note, here is a thought, maybe U2 should have volunteered their services to perform this Super Bowl Sunday. They really had a good showing during that incredible halftime show during their Elevation Tour! ...my point being, "hip" TV translates very well to a successful radio hit! ...anyone remember the Apple Vertigo commerical???? ...way "hipper" than Blackberry I would say, wouldn't you agree?! :hmm:

By arguing this point, half of interference would classify you as a sell out

By arguing this point, half of interference would classify you as a sell out

The lads are first and foremost, professional musicians, but secondly, they are successful business-men, their past collaborations with Jay-Z, Rihanna, May J Blige were exactly that, attempts to reach the masses, and not necesarily selling-out, their partnership with Apple was already that same type of attempt to reach the masses, the young "hip" generation, and I commend the lads for making such attempt, ...and to some on Interference, yes, you are correct, it might have seemed to them as if they were selling-out, ...but I believe that the U2 of today is not U2 of the 80's, and we shouldn't hold them to those standards, (their buisiness-model that is), in the 80's social-media didn't exist, iTunes didn't exist, Interference didn't exist, I don't knock them for trying to get their music out, it makes me proud to know that more generations are listening and rocking out to the music that I love, ...and as they continue to re-invent their music (which they have), they must keep-up with the times and technology, (which they have), just as they must market their music by all means necessary, (which they have) ,...that's just my opinion anyhow!

^^

Exactly!

Best post here in a long time!

Some people seem to think U2 started acting like business people in 2000.

The half of interference that would not classify you as a sell out is the half that has a reasonable view of things.

The lads are first and foremost, professional musicians, but secondly, they are successful business-men, their past collaborations with Jay-Z, Rihanna, May J Blige were exactly that, attempts to reach the masses, and not necesarily selling-out, their partnership with Apple was already that same type of attempt to reach the masses, the young "hip" generation, and I commend the lads for making such attempt, ...and to some on Interference, yes, you are correct, it might have seemed to them as if they were selling-out, ...but I believe that the U2 of today is not U2 of the 80's, and we shouldn't hold them to those standards, (their buisiness-model that is), in the 80's social-media didn't exist, iTunes didn't exist, Interference didn't exist, I don't knock them for trying to get their music out, it makes me proud to know that more generations are listening and rocking out to the music that I love, ...and as they continue to re-invent their music (which they have), they must keep-up with the times and technology, (which they have), just as they must market their music by all means necessary, (which they have) ,...that's just my opinion anyhow!

If those things were selling out, then they already sold out during ZooTV. But U2 has always been about being where it happens, so I don't see this as selling out, and I agree with you. They are updated and they do not live in the past. But - that does NOT mean I appreciate the butchering of One. ;)

In this day and age, it's better to suggest when a new single should be (and it's form) rather than expect. "Don't expect, suggest" after all...

"Singles" aren't really a big thing anymore, and "Teasers" are increasingly becoming the norm. Maybe U2 will do an Interpol and release a teaser (not available for commercial purchase) a few months prior to a proper single? Who knows?

This month would be very sweet :)

One or two of those new songs might appear on the album, but there's absolutely no chance any of them will be the first single.

As for release timing, it would surely be tighter than last time. That was long by todays standards, too long given that the song was a steaming turd.

And yes - 'teasers'. Would work really well for U2. Would have helped No Line to some degree. If this album is similar, ie the singles don't really tell you the whole story in regards to the pitch of the whole album, they really should float something else in some way. It's not beyond them - see NLOTH2. Too little, too late, but they had the right idea.

it SHOULD be before the show in Chile, that is, late March
because they open here then they practically don't stop until July.

2 singles...like Coldplay did...release a song to the radio then another one before the album is released...isn't that what Coldplay did on their last album? Can't remember the exact details

2 singles...like Coldplay did...release a song to the radio then another one before the album is released...isn't that what Coldplay did on their last album? Can't remember the exact details

Not quite they released a single a few weeks before their album but then released another single very quickly.

Kings of Leon on the other hand did with Only by the Night. They released 'Crawl' to radio when the album was announced then a week before the album was released they released the single Sex on Fire

U2 also released The Fly to announce their new direction in September 1991, then came back very quickly with Mysterious Ways five weeks later. Two singles in advance of the album -- a smart way to do things...

A friend of mine working in the leader radio station here tells me they expect the first single for late, late March or beginning of April, maybe to debut it in Argentina where they know the crowds will go crazy with it.

If that's the case, I can't see enough time to release a second single before the album if it is indeed intended for Bono's birthday which is just the day before the Mexican gigs, but maybe they shoot a live video of the second one as they did in Barcelona with Crazy, I think they will not find better crowds to help promotion anywhere else.

So for the albums they released in November, they had the first single out in September (Beautiful Day, Vertigo) and for NLOTH, which was released in March, the first single came out in ... January? :hmm:

If they follow that pattern, two months before the album, we would hear the first single in late March.

Back
Top Bottom