Staring at the Sun - a fresh look

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
I am well aware that songs are open to many different interpretations, and usually mine don’t really stray too far off the public opinion. Especially with U2 songs -but on the Pop album there has always been one that stood out to me as very clear in my mind, although interestingly enough, most don’t seem to talk about it in the same way. And so, I share with you what I hear in the song “Staring at the Sun”.

“Summer stretching on the grass… summer dresses pass.” Picture a couple sitting on a blanket on some grass. Perhaps a park, maybe a beach. They are not alone though, as the man’s eye seems to always notice the other summer dresses walk by. The woman notices the man noticing the summer dresses.

“In the shade of a willow tree, creeps a-crawling over me, over me and over you.” It’s a nice summer day in a nice summer park – at situation that would seem at first glance to be perfect. But it’s not, there are bugs/creeps crawling on them both/relationship.

“Stuck together with God’s glue, it’s gonna get stickier too” God’s glue is the only thing keeping them together. What is God’s glue though? Is it the stickiness of sex, that perhaps they still have on them from a roll in the grass, or is God’s glue fate and destiny that keep them together? Either way, it’s gonna get stickier/more complicated for them.

”It’s been a long hot summer, lets get under the covers, don’t try too hard to think, don’t think at all” Tension had be looming all summer, but rather than deal with it, they distract themselves with sex- under the covers- and ignore the problems. ‘Don’t think about it, baby’.

“I’m not the only one, Staring at the sun, afraid of what you’d find, if you took a look inside.” More ignoring of the problems of the relationship, afraid to look at themselves in the mirror- individually, or as a whole.

“There’s an insect in your ear, if you scratch it won’t disappear. It’s gonna itch and burn and sting, do you wanna see what the scratching brings.” The insect is the temptation the man sees. The summer dresses he sees everywhere he looks. He knows it won’t go away, but if he scratches the itch he knows it’ll hurt him, his lover, and their relationship.

“Waves that leave me out of reach.” It’s gonna be like a tide that pulls him away from his lover.

“Will we ever live in peace?” Will the temptation go away? Or if he falls to it, will their relationship survive it?

“Cause those that can’t do often have to, And those that can’t do often have to preach.” Those that can’t stay faithful or ignore temptation, still demand it of their partner.

The third verse strikes me as more a comment on terrorism/military (like most seem to think), but of course this military could be re-defined as the battle within the relationship.
The beauty of Bono’s words are that you hear them in so many different ways. And yet, they are not mutually exclusive. Multiple meanings can ring true at the same time.

Looking forward to any and all, comment and thoughts.

marik said:
The beauty of Bono’s words are that you hear them in so many different ways. And yet, they are not mutually exclusive. Multiple meanings can ring true at the same time.

Indeed. One thing I will never do is read a book written by U2 explaining the meaning of the lyrics to their music. I don't want to know, I have my own interpretations.

"Staring at the Sun" is one of my favorite U2 songs of all time. It is simply beautiful, like "Kite", but even more so. I love your interpretation so I will offer mine. :)

My thinking is that this song, in a very straight-forward way, expresses the aura of experimentation going on while U2 was creating "Pop". After all, we are all taught as kids NOT to stare directly at the Sun. I'm guessing that at the time, many were advising U2 to rest on their laurals and put out another album in the same sound as Achtung Baby or even Joshua Tree. As we all know, that is NOT what U2 is all about (and hopefully never will be).

In a way, U2 was throwing all caution to the wind and taking the risk of going down a new path when they created "Pop". Maybe this song was one way of telling all those people advising them to go the safe route "screw you, we're going to do this album how we want to, even if we go down ("go blind") because of it".

In reality, no matter if this song was really about eating breakfast, it's still one of the most beautiful songs U2 ever made. :) It often echoes in the corners of my mind at odd points during the day and always works as a calming influence.

Last edited:
My Take On It

Hey Marik, I'm an Alberta guy too (well, sort of!).

Anyway, I'm really perplexed by Staring At The Sun. It's almost one of the great songs in the canon, but somehow falls flat on all three studio versions. Greatly improved on the acoustic versions, especially the one on Rotterdam 1997 (on the "Please" EP). What I think is that Staring At The Sun, musically speaking, is a simple folk song. They tried to dress it up for the Pop sound but it didn't really work, as they have acknowledged. I think U2 thought it might be the big single on the album and they felt duty bound to make it into an electric anthem, but in doing so they robbed of its simple power.

Now to get on to your point (the lyrics):

My interpretation is that the lyric is criticizing shallow, money-driven people, and Western culture in general. It's like the forerunner of Bono's African-debt campaign on a more personal level, and it's also similar lyrically to The Playboy Mansion in theme. In my interpretation, "the Sun" is basically Western Culture, or to be more specific it's the easy, "lovey-dovey stuff" that we see packaged and commodified before us in soul-less ads and corporate media. We're all staring at the sun and happy to go blind, not wanting (for discomfort, for not wanting to acknowledge the "insect" in our ears; only to scratch it) to actually have to face the fact that our lives are completely shallow as we turn a blind eye to the starving and oppressed. We have a nagging feeling that we're "nearly great but there's something missing", and of course what's missing is a spiritual awareness of the less fortunate.

I don't quite know what to make of the rest of that last verse about the military in town and the duty-free, but anyhow this is how I see/hear/feel it...

“I’m not the only one, Staring at the sun, afraid of what you’d find, if you took a look inside.” More ignoring of the problems of the relationship, afraid to look at themselves in the mirror- individually, or as a whole.

INTERESTING INTERPETATION!

Re: Re: Staring at the Sun - a fresh look

cypress said:

One thing I will never do is read a book written by U2 explaining the meaning of the lyrics to their music. I don't want to know, I have my own interpretations.

I'm quite the opposite, I love to know what they're all about.

I've often wondered what the real meaning of this song is, as in Bono's real meaning. Its such a great song, I didn't used to like it, but started really listening to it and playing it over and over, and now its one of my favorites.

It would be really funny to know what Bono would think of our interpretations, he'd probably laugh his ass off. "Silly fans, that's not what I meant at all!"

I know there's a book out that gives meanings for various songs...but it's only someone's interpretation. Who's to say that it's correct? Its kind of fun to read into it what is meaningful in your life at the time you're listening to it. That's what so cool about most U2 songs... they mean different things to different people.

i just let a friend of mine (know doesnt know much about u2 other than the hits) listen to Staring at the Sun and he loved it. his exact comment about it was "it's a really good song. down to earth, not epic" - which is what he figures all u2 songs are like. i never really thought about it that way before. that maybe people hold the whole "epic" sound against them. i also thought the chorus during staring at the sun did sound pretty anthem rock, in terms of a sing along song for the crowd. but anyways, now our band might actually cover it

marik said:
i i never really thought about it that way before. that maybe people hold the whole "epic" sound against them.

I think you're probably right.

The beauty of poetry is in variety of interpretations. Mine is ,to a certain extent, similar to yours; they are married(stuck together with God's glue),they've been living together,but temptation is inevitable-"in the shade of willow tree...........creeps........"-association on Adam and Eve..............Should they talk openly about the deepest secrets or pretend that everything is ok,without further scratching................? The truth (staring at the sun)could be more painful than they expect........Does he know her?Does she know him?Are they ready to listen to one another?etc,etc....There are many themes in this song................................................................P.S. Hope that English is fine,since it is not my mother tongue

Last edited:
The beginning of song:"Summer stretching on the grass......summer dress pass"associate on youth and carefree days days which are dying away.......,one more reason to think they are married. And the finale of the song proves they encounter difficulties.........

Re: Re: Staring at the Sun - a fresh look

cypress said:

One thing I will never do is read a book written by U2 explaining the meaning of the lyrics to their music. I don't want to know, I have my own interpretations.

I agree with that - I remember Billy Corgan saying that he never wanted to really explain what he meant by his lyrics because he wants them to take on their own meaning for the listeners. I think that's a good thing - even though it is interesting to know why the band write what they do, if Bono started explaining every song, and his meanings ended up differing from my own personal interpretations, it just wouldn't be the same...

Back
Top Bottom