Lyric Analysis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Achtung Bubba

Refugee
Hey, everyone!

I have a special place in my heart for this particular forum since I love talking about the meanings or possible meanings of U2 songs.

I really like people bringing up songs they like or wonder about, but I was thinking we could have a more organized discussion IN ADDITION TO what we already have.

My thought is that when the new single comes out, we devote a week to each song ("Beautiful Day" and the b-sides), giving everyone time to buy the CD, think about the song, and post their critiques and their theories. Once the new album and other B-sides come out, we'll do the same thing to each track, and if we have a "slow week" we could look at an older song, like "Until the End of the World" or "Surrender".

Each song would have its own thread -- which we would close after a week and we could archive later -- and the thread you're reading now would be used for administrative stuff, your suggestions, comments, etc.

What do you guys think? Do you like the idea?

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

Wow Bubba,
Super idea. (That's why he's a moderator guys!) One thought...with the deep discussions that go on around here, do ya think one week is going to be enough for each song????
smile.gif
hehehehe!
-sulawesigirl

------------------
~I want to play the guitar very badly, and I do play the guitar very badly - Bono~

Hey Bubba -- that's a great idea! And that's a good point, Sula hehe. I love discussing the meaning of U2 songs as well.. so I'm all for it!
smile.gif

------------------
"we're going to finish a record in a few months, and I dare anyone to make a better rock record this year"
- Bono on the new album

http://www.geocities.com/aiwiu2/index.htm

Well, Sulawesigirl, now that I think about it... one week is probably not enough for every song; some are more enigmatic than others. So what I'd probably do is still post a new song each week, but if an older song is still generating a good discussion, I'll leave the thread open.

I'd eventually close and archive a thread after a discussion dies down, and if a latecomer or two has a good observation down the road, he/she can create a new topic for that song or we can devote another week or two to the song.

I just thought it'd be a good idea to have us discuss the same new song at the same time.

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

o.k. so now all we need is for that *#@*%# single to come out.

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Hey, guys.

Whilst we wait for the single release, I thought I'd point out what John Siracusa has been doing recently. He runs the Lyrics Archive here at Interference, and he's really been on the ball.

The tracklisting for Can't Leave Behind is ALREADY up, and it was up by Monday!

http://www.interference.com/u2la/lyrics/albums/all-behind/index.html

By the way, when we start our lyric analyses, I was thinking we'd use John's archive as our usual source, since it's really quite comprehensive and accurate.

(Other archives, such as the really good one at The Wanderer (U2Wanderer.org), are great too, and you're welcome to use them. We'll just use John's as a default.)

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

[This message has been edited by Achtung Bubba (edited 08-22-2000).]

It probably is a good idea to pick one source, just so everyone is talking about exactly the same lyrics.
Sometimes just one word can make a big difference, especially when talking about U2 lyrics.

------------------
Salome

Ahem.

The analysis can now begin.

Go to "Lyric Analysis - August 27, 2000 - Beautiful Day" within this forum. And if you have any administrative questions, comments, or suggestions, please leave them in this thread.

Thanks.

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

aw, no fair Bubba!!!
I'm still resisting all temptation to hear the new single before it comes out. This is getting to be a serious test of my willpower - and now you're inciting me to read and analyse all the lyrics before even hearing the song! And then there's the track listing, and everyone posting spoilers, and aaargh I dont know how much more of this I can take!!!
wink.gif

anyway - y'all go ahead and analyse things and I'll just try not to look...
Mermaid
smile.gif

------------------
she moves in mysterious ways...

Mermaid--

Tell ya what. I'll leave the thread open at least until radio stations start playing the single heavily, and possibly until the release of the single to stores (tenatively October 9th). So, you can ignore the thread for a while, and you won't be left out.

I've got a feeling the thread will be busy for quite a while.
smile.gif

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

Hey Bubba, thanks, that's very nice of you. I enjoy lyric analysis as much as the next girl, so I'll look forward to contributing.

And Achtung Bebe: well, I tell you, it's getting harder and harder. BD is (almost) all that anyone is talking about around here!!! And posts which dont say what they're about turn out to be discussing it!!! And topics not about BD get sidetracked onto it!!! and AAAARGH!!!

ok, rant over, I feel much better now I've got that off my chest
smile.gif
. My general feeling about the song, and the new album in general, is that I want to know as little about it as possible in advance. I want to hear it with fresh ears, as it were.
So I dont want to know the track listing, and I dont want to see the lyrics, and I dont want to hear anyone else's opinion (not that that's very likely in this place!)

That's why I've been trying to avoid all the threads about it, and why I was ranting earlier. But I fully understand that most other people want to analyse and discuss because it builds up their anticipation etc.
So like I said, go right ahead - I'll just look the other way, cover my ears, hum 'Mary had a little lamb'...
Mermaid
smile.gif

------------------
she moves in mysterious ways...

Yeah, spoiler-avoiding is the main reason I stay miles away from Star Wars forums. You simply can't miss them completely.

The good news is, what we've basically heard is what the radio stations will be playing soon anyway, and other than lyrics, it's very difficult to convey songs in written words, particularly U2 songs, and particularly this song.

Though I guess that could be a spoiler, too. Sorry.
smile.gif

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

Okay, we're about a week away from the UK release of the "Beautiful Day" single... and its two b-sides, "Summer Rain" and "Always".

(The mp3s of both songs are out there if you're willing to look for them.)

What I'll probably do is close/archive the "Beautiful Day" lyric analysis when the single is released and start threads for the B-sides, one near the day of release, the other about a week later.

Is that cool with you guys?

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

Yep.
This is gonna be fun.
I for one can't wait.

------------------
Salome

Back
Top Bottom