Do any of u2`s songs take you to a different place/time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me ALWAYS reminds me of the 90s and growing up in the 90s.

^ oooooh yeah . . . Streets live is goosebumples and happiness and I really truly feel like I am home . . . the world just disappears :heart:

and Bad . . . I could gush for hours . . . that song just takes me away when the world hurts too much . . . every.single.time :up:

In God's Country takes me here;

IMG_1973.jpg

IMG_1949.jpg

DSC01614.jpg

JT1-11-2009crew.jpg

Good times.

Discotheque takes me back to college and that video. :lmao:

Listening to In God's Country, One Tree Hill and Running to Stand Still takes me to driving though the desert.

And Walk On and Kite always bring back memories of visiting my Dad while he was getting his cancer treatment.

I was just there a few weeks ago and the tree didn't look like it was fading away.

For me Bad sometimes takes me somewhere.

I don't know where exactly, but One Tree Hill and In God's Country always seem to bring me someplace else when I hear them.

Most of JT, but especially Streets, In God's Country and Trip Through, just make me feel like I am driving out I-10 between Phoenix and Joshua Tree NP area. JT is just a transcendent album that can truly make you feel like you are somewhere else.

Ultraviolet sometimes makes me feel like I am driving down a long, lonely and dark road at night.

Then I have what I call my Fall 2008 trio, lol. Allow me to explain. A girl that I really and truly liked and had feelings for that she returned wound up with another guy(a real jerk by any objective standard) just before our senior year of college. I distinctly remember Ultraviolet, The Fly and In A Little While being the go to songs for this time period.

Ultraviolet: This time, the long dark road was replaced by feelings of jealousy and desire and longing for a past. Everything about the friendship/flirting/potential relationship I had with this girl junior year of college was literally like we could "sleep on stones." It was the watered down, current boyfriend present at all times interaction I now had with the girl that felt like the "whispers and moans" and I certainly felt "all messed up" but there was still that glimmer of hope "lightbulb, hanging over my head."

Did I ever mention Ultraviolet is just a perfect song??

The Fly: This was the song I listened to instead of punching a wall! Any live performance with that scorching Edge guitar and demonic Bono vocals did the trick every time! "There's a lot of things if I could, I'd rearrange" spoke to me a lot then.

In A Little While: Passionate pining, "surely you'll be mine" "hurt will hurt no more" coupled with longing questioning "will you be there?" As strange as this sounds, In A Little While always, always takes me back to one specific place on one specific night. I was out mini golfing with my friends on a gorgeous 80 degree September night and thinking about this girl. I kept running "A man dreams one day to fly, a man takes a rocket ship into the sky" through my head and somehow, it seemed to fit my dilemma perfectly. I cant listen to IALW anymore without thinking of that night.

Some songs bring me back to the time when I first discovered them.

Trip Through, Trying To Throw and TUF bring me right back to Fall 2006.

I Will Follow and most of Boy bring me back to Fall 2005.

Most of JT, but especially Streets, In God's Country and Trip Through, just make me feel like I am driving out I-10 between Phoenix and Joshua Tree NP area. JT is just a transcendent album that can truly make you feel like you are somewhere else.

Ultraviolet sometimes makes me feel like I am driving down a long, lonely and dark road at night.

Then I have what I call my Fall 2008 trio, lol. Allow me to explain. A girl that I really and truly liked and had feelings for that she returned wound up with another guy(a real jerk by any objective standard) just before our senior year of college. I distinctly remember Ultraviolet, The Fly and In A Little While being the go to songs for this time period.

Ultraviolet: This time, the long dark road was replaced by feelings of jealousy and desire and longing for a past. Everything about the friendship/flirting/potential relationship I had with this girl junior year of college was literally like we could "sleep on stones." It was the watered down, current boyfriend present at all times interaction I now had with the girl that felt like the "whispers and moans" and I certainly felt "all messed up" but there was still that glimmer of hope "lightbulb, hanging over my head."

Did I ever mention Ultraviolet is just a perfect song??

The Fly: This was the song I listened to instead of punching a wall! Any live performance with that scorching Edge guitar and demonic Bono vocals did the trick every time! "There's a lot of things if I could, I'd rearrange" spoke to me a lot then.

In A Little While: Passionate pining, "surely you'll be mine" "hurt will hurt no more" coupled with longing questioning "will you be there?" As strange as this sounds, In A Little While always, always takes me back to one specific place on one specific night. I was out mini golfing with my friends on a gorgeous 80 degree September night and thinking about this girl. I kept running "A man dreams one day to fly, a man takes a rocket ship into the sky" through my head and somehow, it seemed to fit my dilemma perfectly. I cant listen to IALW anymore without thinking of that night.

Some songs bring me back to the time when I first discovered them.

Trip Through, Trying To Throw and TUF bring me right back to Fall 2006.

I Will Follow and most of Boy bring me back to Fall 2005.

:love: Lovely, descriptive post! Thank you! :up:

I became a true U2 fan in like January 2009. So anything related to NLOTH reminds me of when I first started loving U2. :heart:

Also in 8th grade, in my Home Ec. class, we were in the computer lab doing a project. My teacher, who was like 26 or something, hooked up her computer to Sirius Radio, or XM Radio or something..

Anyway, all of a sudden I hear ISHFWILF coming from her computer. She explained to us that U2 was her favorite band and that we were going to listen to this song. Most of the kids in my class were like "ugghh, nooo." But I was thinking, "Wow, this is cool!" :D At the time, I hadn't become a huge u2 fan yet, but I liked them very much. I was surprised to find out that some kids even knew what the song was.

Most of U2 songs and albums take me to a different place and time.

I remember listening to Achtung Baby on headphones at night when I got into a railway strike in Italy. The train just stopped at 3 a. m. and I had to get out. I stayed on the trainstation somewhere in Italy in the middle of the night and waited for a train to come and take me to my destination. While I was sitting around I listened to Achtung Baby up and down, I think until 6 a. m. Then, finally, a train arrived and I could continue my journey. But that album will always remind me of an Italian railway station by night :lol:

Beautiful Day takes me to the USA because I lived there when that song came out and my dad played it a lot in the car.

Pop takes me to a place no other U2 album does.

With or Without You takes me back to HS when I was introduced to U2 - my friend made a mix for his girlfriend....one of the songs was WOWY.

Beautiful photos RedRocks U2! Thanks for sharing them. :hug:

Every time I hear Streets. It reminds me of a trip I took with my son to the Blue Ridge Mountains.

I could write about a lot of different songs, but I don't think there is any one thing by them that transports me the way Achtung Baby does.

When I was in 8th grade, I was working on a set for a play. It was the hey day of my awkward adolescence and as it were, I had a crush on this boy. And he did not like me back, but he was kind and he tried to be my friend at least. We were working on this play together, well, I was a stage hand, he was in it. While I would be in the back and they were rehearsing, I would listen to Achtung Baby on my portable CD player. I can't tell you how many times I listened to the album over those weeks, but I can tell you that the boy would come up to me every so often and ask if I was listening to U2, and upon finding out I was, would strike up a conversation about them with me.

There are other parts of those weeks that Achtung Baby reminds me of. The feel of that time surrounds me every time I listen to it. But the image in my head is always of him walking up to me and asking what I'm listening to.

Do I still think that boy is cute? Hell no, in retrospect, I'm not sure what I was thinking. I'm not even in contact with half of those people anymore, but for 55 minutes, any time I pull that one out, I'm taken back and it is so incredibly bittersweet. The moreso the older I get.

Back
Top Bottom