what about the fans between 20 and 40????????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm 35, male, a Libra, from Montreal, Canada.

First got into the band listening to SBS on the jukeboxes at a local poolhall, then getting immersed in the JT stuff during highschool. Achtung, just after HS, was a religious experience.

I like dogs, am allergic to cats, like long walks on the beach, candle-lit dinners and a night at the movies. :|

What area of Montreal do you live in?

23/M/Capricorn

I fell in love with U2 when I saw them on my moms Amnesty international tape when I was going on 2 years old. Like little kids watched Barney, I watched U2. Been hooked ever since.

I'm a 21 year old female from California and I am a Taurus.

Is it bad that the first time I heard of them was when they were on The Simpsons in 1998? :reject: I've learned a lot about pop culture from that show...

I heard Beautiful Day when it came out in 2000 and I loved it. My mom got ATYCLB and played it constantly for a while. However, she mostly played Elevation. She played it on repeat a lot and I started to hate the song. I found most of the other songs on ATYCLB boring.

My dad got HTDAAB in 2004 and I liked several of the songs, but still didn't understand the hype. Then in 2005, I discovered that my mom had Achtung Baby and I was hooked.

est. 1971
fan since: age 11, New Year's Day (I thought playing the guitar while wearing gloves was the coolest thing)
first tour: age 18, LoveTown (Rotterdam, obviously)

33 (in a few weeks)
Aries
Always liked U2, but going to one of their concerts in 2001 started the madness that I suffer from today :crack:

I wanted to go see the Zootv show in Tampa back in high school (all the cool kids went :reject: ), but I didn't have a car and my parents were not ones to take me to concerts.

30 years old. Casual u2 fan since watching them Live from Red Rocks on MTV (I think) with my sisters after they decided not to go (we lived 20 minutes away at the time) cause it was "icky outside." Die hard since researching a paper on Sunday Bloody Sunday my senior year in HS, Fall 95.

Born 9-1-1969 ( 39 now )

In 1987 I was in the Navy & a female friend gave me a book entitled The Unforgettable Fire ( Ring a bell Chels82 LOL :wave:)

Loved U2 ever since

Saw them live only once 12-10-05 Cleveland Ohio:love:

hooked when I heard WOWY on 2MMM Sydney in 1987 as a 12 year old.

Married another U2 Fanatic who I met at school in 1993 and who went to Lovetown Sydney when she was 14 (Jealous)

With her I have been to;

ZOO TV Sydney (both)
Popmart Sydney (Wet)
and Vertigo Sydney Night 1 (Wet)

Am assuming they will not tour Australia this time around (Crap)

I grew up in LaSalle, moved onto Atwater for a while, and I'm now in Cote St. Paul - near De L'eglise and the Canal. Work in Westmount.

Great area. I lived near the Forum for a couple of years, but spent most of my life in the east end. Now I live in western Canada. But I miss home every day, and will be back for a week at Easter. :up:

Great area. I lived near the Forum for a couple of years, but spent most of my life in the east end. Now I live in western Canada. But I miss home every day, and will be back for a week at Easter. :up:

Yeah, loved being able to walk to Alexis for whatever. I have family out west, and sometimes wonder how they can survive without Montreal's food. I'm too spoiled to go anywhere else.

I'm a 21 year old Cancer from Ohio, US.

I became a fan around late 1991-early 1992 - sadly, I don't remember all details of those years too well and most of what I have to go on is the stories my dad (who is a U2 fan and most of the reason I became a fan) tells me about it! Like the time I apparently slipped on a pair of sunglasses trying to be Bono. Never living that one down. :doh:

I have never seen them in concert before, unfortunately.

There's times when I get really burnt out on them, but no matter how much that happens, I always tend to find my way back to their music somehow or another. (Or it finds me first!)

33 (in a few weeks)I wanted to go see the Zootv show in Tampa back in high school (all the cool kids went :reject: ), but I didn't have a car and my parents were not ones to take me to concerts.

that's the show i went to. what HS did you attend? i went to leto:down:

to everyone that posted, thank you for sharing so much. one of the reasons u2 is such a great band is because of their great fans.:applaud::heart::applaud::heart::applaud:

:wave: 33, female, Taurus
:drool: fan since JT (then discovered the early albums, as well)
:heart: love traveling
:mad: hate ignorance

:wave: :wink:

26 / male / Wroclaw, Poland, EU

U2 - fan since 1995

ActungZooPopPassengers - :drool:
NLOTH - :drool:
Boctobar - :drool:
UF/JT - :up::up::up:
RH/HTDAAB - :up::up:
ATYCLB - :up:

Like me. I'm 24. The first U2 song I consciously loved was HMTMKMKM in the summer of 1997. The first U2 song I consciously loved while consciously knowing it was U2 was WOWY in the summer of 1998. I saw the video on TV in my grandmother's apartment in Istanbul. Within the same two days, I saw the WOWY, SBS, and Angel Of Harlem videos and I loved them. My brother had JT and UABRS on cassette, and soon after I got the Best Of 1980-1990 2-disc edition when it was released that November. With the Batman Forever Soundtrack, JT and UABRS on cassette tape, and the Best Of 1980-1990+B-Sides in hand, 1999 came, and I will always, always remember that Spring and Summer:

February 1999: Achtung Baby(Disc-Go-Round, Dayton, Ohio)
March 1999: Pop(Second Time Around, Dayton, Ohio)
June 1999: War(Borders, Chicago), The Unforgettable Fire(some second hand place in Chicago), October(same second hand place in Chicago)
July 1999: Boy(somewhere in New York), Rattle And Hum(Best Buy, Dayton, Ohio)
August 1999: Zooropa(CD Connection, Dayton, Ohio), Wide Awake In America(Best Buy, Dayton, Ohio)
and sometime after that I got JT and UABRS on CD(Disc-Go-Round, Dayton, Ohio).
and sometime after that I got Passengers(Disc-Go-Round, Dayton, Ohio).

I never had any of the WTF moments with AB or Pop or Zooropa. I loved them all from the first listen. The only time I came close to WTF was the first time or two I heard Mofo, but that soon passed, and even before it passed, it was 'WTF this is badass' and not 'WTF this is crap'. I remember even before I had AB, I heard Mysterious Ways on the radio and loved it. Even before I had Pop, I saw 30-second clips of the Discotheque and Staring At The Sun videos, and I loved them. There were some growers - I remember the first time the brilliance of Please finally hit me, even the album version. But I never had any of the difficulty accepting that mid-late 90s stuff that some old-school fans did. I never had a problem with the Lemon falsetto or the monotone Edge-vocal on Numb, I never had a problem with the Discotheque video. None of that. Anyway, suffice it say, I remember fondly collecting every U2 album out up to that point and loving all of them from day 1.

I also remember checking out ZooTV Sydney, the AB Interference video, and the Rattle And Hum movie on VHS from my local Hollywood Video(R.I.P. November 2007) in 1999 and watching them back-to-back-to-back one Saturday afternoon. I had a u2 desktop theme at the time that had snippets of some Rattle And Hum live performances as its sounds(minimize, maximize, etc), namely Pride and I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, so I'd heard 15 seconds of those two live performances before, and watching the movie was cool because I finally got to hear those 15-second clips I'd heard a zillion times put in the context of the full performances(I saw the R&H movie before I had the R&H album). I remember thinking R&H totally kicked ass. I remember being transfixed, mesmerized, hypnotized by ZooTV. ZooTV was like nothing I'd ever seen before. It was like they created their own little world. The Interference video made U2 look like the most badass band in the world to me through my 14/15 year old eyes. I remember it giving context to quotes I already knew and loved("When you're sixteen you think you can take on the world - and sometimes you're right"). I copied all three to blank VHS(dualdeck VHS) tapes(this was still a little before DVD exploded). I remember feeling the same way when I was given the Popmart Mexico City VHS that year for my birthday.

I've always been glad that I got into U2 before ATYCLB, because ATYCLB spawned a whole new generation of U2 fans and made U2 uber-popular again, but I had a little pocket of time between 1998 and 2000 when they were my band(you guys know what I mean). The faction of the U2 fanbase that got 'in' during the Passengers/Pop time period are sort of black sheep in the fanbase.

28, female, Aries, from western Canada. First heard U2 in 1989 and was hooked, but didn't become a hardcore fan until 1998. Seen them live just twice, and am very excited for the new album and tour! :drool:

23. First regular exposure was the incessant airplay of "Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me" on the radio which I really dug.....then came the first two Pop singles which I loathed at the time, and later, the even more despised "Sweetest Thing". But some of these songs kept fluttering in my brain..."Mysterious Ways"...."Desire"...."New Year's Day"...."Sunday Bloody Sunday"..."Beautiful Day"....

One morning in the fall of 2001, I turned on the television to MuchMusic. They showed the video for "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" followed by "Walk On"...I never looked back. :up:

I'm 35, male, scorpio, living in Toronto. Been a fan since Unforgettable Fire. I was in Grade 7 I believe. FUUUUUCCCCCKKKKK, that was a long time ago! And I'm still a proud NLOTH virgin. But it's getting......harder.

I'm almost 32 now. 3-3 is my lucky day. I remember buying desire in 1988??? But my parents didn't let me go to lovetown or zoo tv / zooropa tour. GRRRR I was too young for them to go alone to a concert. So popmart was my real first live concert tour.

I remember I was "strange" in my class back then. I like U2 .. everyone else was listening to populair non-u2 music. They laughed at me, Kinda I was lost, now i'm found ... lyric. I feel completely lost back then.

Anyway 20 years later I'm still proud being an U2 fan. Lots of new friends who are into U2.

Thanks guys for being in my life ... see ya this summer once again in Europe:applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud:

20. Melbourne Australia. Been a fan of the music since I was little (dad's a big, big fan) then became a REAL BIG FAN when ATYCLB era then exploded into crazy ass fan at the HTDAAB era. Seen them live once can't wait to see them again :)

Weirdo amongst my friends for liking such a band and liking Bono so much :D

22 here. Became a fan sometime inbetween Pop & ATYCLB. TUF was the album that made me discover U2 - Pride being the first song and I thought WOW! I remember when ZooTV video was released my mother watching it and I thought wtf is this??? Funnily enough that's turned out to be my favourite tour. First time I saw them live was on 19th August 2001. Remember being kinda upset that they didn't play IWF or NYD but looking back at the setlist I realise how lucky I was now :). Hoping to go to as many as I can afford this year - main priority being a trip to Ireland and then going back to Spain (hopefully the Nou Camp again). They better play Bad - I've seen them 4 time's and they've never played bad :(

I'm 35, male, scorpio, living in Toronto. Been a fan since Unforgettable Fire. I was in Grade 7 I believe. FUUUUUCCCCCKKKKK, that was a long time ago! And I'm still a proud NLOTH virgin. But it's getting......harder.

Your post made me laugh. Yeah, when I look back and realize my first album that I bought was TUF and then I think of the year, blows me away. I don't feel that old :lol:

Oh and by the way, I am no longer a NLOTH virgin and I am not ashamed :wink:

I´m 40. I first saw them on LOVE TOWN TOUR 89 in Dortmund 3 nights in a row, awsome.
In total i have now 60 shows on my shoulder.

Can´t wait for the new Tour.:drool: The Album is Magnificent.:heart:

Back
Top Bottom