U2 to perform at 2018 grammy awards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am going to pipe in and say that's right, we CANNOT normalize or stop bitching about DT and if that means we get U2 singing ASoul on a barge to the kids, then that's what it is. Bono cannot resist this tv platform to reach outside the fan base and bash Trump and I for one love it! I understand it. It's not about the die hard fans and the songs we want to hear live, it's about making a statement to the masses on one of the biggest TV shows in music featuring other artists and music fans. It's a year later and DT is still there. That's a year too long. We stop being a thorn or megaphone in his side.. he wins. Stale or not, annoying or not, we have to PERSIST, resist, and march, walk out in to the street and sing our hearts out...(sorry lol ) be a thorn in the side of this disaster DT. This is U2's protest if you will, kind of like their march against Trump it's the jab they so badly want to take with their art at the American state of affairs. It's not about playing songs that are creatively more interesting in this arena. IMO.

Look, musicians, artists, Hollywood celebs, talk show hosts are free to say anything they want about Trump for all four years, but it's already "artistically" stale. Even some liberals are getting tired of the same ol' same ol' as far as the art goes.

If someone does it in a creative, non "ham-fisted" fashion, then hey, something fresh could be added to the conversation. But if it's the same tired lame jokes that SNL, Fallon, Colbert, Kimmel, etc. are giving, and stuff like American Soul or Eminem's Trump bashing, then it's already old and uninteresting.

Old and uninteresting=people stop listening
Must be why Colbert's ratings are so poor.

What's that, Timmy? His ratings are through the roof? He's passed the Tonight Show for the first time in decades?

Must be all that Trump bashing boredom.

What's that, Timmy? His ratings are through the roof? He's passed the Tonight Show for the first time in decades?

Ever the contrarian.....

If it bothers you that Colbert is on that list, then feel free to ignore it

Last edited:
Oh dear Lord ... if this band plays American Soul on national TV again I may gouge my eyes out. For the life of me I can't understand what they're thinking. Either promote the singles, or .. if they want to play something political... the Blackout would be a much, much better choice.

UPDATE: Just saw the video. It is American Soul isn't it?! Does anyone know which tool would be best for eye gouging?

Last edited:
Look, musicians, artists, Hollywood celebs, talk show hosts are free to say anything they want about Trump for all four years, but it's already "artistically" stale. Even some liberals are getting tired of the same ol' same ol' as far as the art goes.

If someone does it in a creative, non "ham-fisted" fashion, then hey, something fresh could be added to the conversation. But if it's the same tired lame jokes that SNL, Fallon, Colbert, Kimmel, etc. are giving, and stuff like American Soul or Eminem's Trump bashing, then it's already old and uninteresting.

Old and uninteresting=people stop listening

Seconded. No matter what the topic is, repeating the same thing over and over again gets tiresome. We get it, he’s not a great person and people don’t like him. It’s going to be awkward in 2020 when they realize that they forgot how to write jokes about anything else.

That’s funny, because all I’ve ever heard people say about that show is that they hate it because all he does is talk about politics.

The Blackout would be a good change of pace to alternate with AS and accomplish a similar intent. Can’t wait to see it live and it’s just weird that it has been basically ignored except for the Facebook video.

Oh dear Lord ... if this band plays American Soul on national TV again I may gouge my eyes out. For the life of me I can't understand what they're thinking. Either promote the singles, or .. if they want to play something political... the Blackout would be a much, much better choice.

UPDATE: Just saw the video. It is American Soul isn't it?! Does anyone know which tool would be best for eye gouging?

Spot on- America's collective eyes will roll if Bono pulls out that f***in bullhorn again

They haven't really got any of these single choices, performances choices right since atomic bomb have they.

There's so many great songs on the record and they choose American soul. It's in my bottom 2 on the record. I don't mind it though, I don't think it's a bad track, there's just better on the record.

Seconded. No matter what the topic is, repeating the same thing over and over again gets tiresome. We get it, he’s not a great person and people don’t like him. It’s going to be awkward in 2020 when they realize that they forgot how to write jokes about anything else.

Wrong post

I usually watch the whole thing at a friend's party. Will only see part of it this year before I go to a concert.

I have not watched it in many years. I'll see if I have the patience to sit through this one to catch U2. I'm not very happy with the nominees in many of the big categories like Album Of The Year. The voters have really ignored rock artist this year.

I'll just catch the highlights the next morning on youtube. God bless the hard working people who go to the effort to post these things online. You may not be in the military, or on the police/fire/emt department, but you are a different kind of hero for sure!

I'll just catch the highlights the next morning on youtube. God bless the hard working people who go to the effort to post these things online. You may not be in the military, or on the police/fire/emt department, but you are a different kind of hero for sure!

I no longer make sure I record these performances thanks to youtube.

The Grammys make the Oscars look like the Nobel Prize ceremony.

YouTube for me as well. If they're playing Get Out, I probably won't bother at all.

It's always relevant to point out his awfulness and ugliness. From now until the day he's gone. And then after he's gone as well, so that we don't get any crazy ideas about doing this again anytime soon.

Absolutely!

And Yes to Jeannico as well! :up:

It doesn't bother me much at all that some of the jokes are repetitive in some fashion, or other. I enjoy good, new jokes, sketches as well. (some great signs at the woman's march!)

Last edited:
Hey! Looks like Headache was right and we only have to watch the beginning of the show to catch U2’s performance

[Tweet] 957356262198530048[/tweet]

This is odd to me. They're playing the songs in reverse order from how they bridge together on the album, and is Kendrick just going to stand there on stage until his sermon at the end of Get Out?

If they were going to do a hybrid of XXX and American Soul, it would have made sense to do the latter one live together. If they opened the show with a pre-recording barge performance of Get Out, they could segue from it to Kendrick live on stage doing his bit at the end of the song, then U2 appears on stage to do American Soul, with Kendrick there as they go in and out of XXX in a live mash-up.

Ive got a bad feeling about this...

The way Variety has it laid out makes no sense, and appears that they're guessing.

It's probably American Soul on the barge, then XXX at MSG, with the band showing up at the end of it to do their part, making it appear as if they came straight from the boat.

And I have no fucking clue how Dave Chapelle plays into any of this

n

And I have no fucking clue how Dave Chapelle plays into any of this

tumblr_m4vg86zTvs1qzcl1lo1_500.gif

Batter drips, breakfast time is coming in flap jacks
He ate it all and pretty soon he'll still have a snack attack

Don't go, easy on the syrup, easy on the syrup, waiter

When the grill is hot, throw it on the top
In the hunger where we learn to feed
When the grill is hot, don't you ever doubt
How much he can really eat

There used to be a time when U2 would perform on national TV and I would be so excited because the world would get to see the band that I know is amazing live doing what they do best.

Now, I sit here waiting to cringe because Bono might not hit a note or Edge might sound flat or Bono does something cheesy (guy liner or pull out a bull horn).

I hope they shine like their old selves and hit a home run tonight vs turn in a performance like they did with Kygo at that Spanish awards show.

Here is to waiting......

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom