U2 on bill board awards!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it's Bono just being self depricating Bono. I think it's more a statement about wanting to be bold again than it is anything else. I think they're saying people are tired of U2 being U2, if we're going to do this again it better be really worth it.

:up:

I think it's Bono just being self depricating Bono. I think it's more a statement about wanting to be bold again than it is anything else. I think they're saying people are tired of U2 being U2, if we're going to do this again it better be really worth it.

As a diehard and very long time fan, I hope you're right in your assessment. "Glass Half Full" and all that stuff :D

It was just a really strange thing to say and the nature of the statement kind of leaves it up to interpretation.

Honestly, my knee jerk reaction was, wow, is this Bono hinting at the beginning of the end of the band? I know that's not what he meant but that was my first thought when I heard that statement

especially since in the same interview, they list all of the new material they have, probably enough to release another 4 albums and they still can't pull out a decent 10 songs out of that bunch and release something at the present.

I don't want to read too much into his statement, but could he also (dangerously) be justifying their current nostalgia trip?

In other words - 'People have enough U2 albums already so lets just go out there and play Streets and WOWY for a few more years!?'

This band have never been about nostalgia and personally I don't want them to start turning into the Stones, so I hope not.

Well that's kind of depressing to hear Bono say that everyone already has enough U2 albums. I don't think in their multi-decade history, any of the band members has ever made a statement like that.

I've actually heard him say this before, a few times. It's just another recycled Bono to the press line. I wouldn't read too much into it.

What I take out of it is that he thinks U2 are too old to be mediocre, they can't get away with releasing a B/C range u2 album. Possibly means they'll overcook their next one, but, I think it's a good thing that they're stepping back and not releasing anything right now. If they have all this material, they need to pick and choose a direction - which it sounds like is what's going on. And then they need to just work on that project, and make it really kickass, rather than half assing a mish-mash of 12 random songs.

I think it's a good thing that they're stepping back and not releasing anything right now. If they have all this material, they need to pick and choose a direction - which it sounds like is what's going on. And then they need to just work on that project, and make it really kickass, rather than half assing a mish-mash of 12 random songs.

I agree with this line of thinking. I would much rather a collection of songs that are fucking brilliant than an odd collection of stuff strung together like a committee just drew songs out of a hat.

To me, NLOTH will always be that sort of odd collection of songs that doesnt flow very well thanks to the jarring middle three. Not that it would have been any better as an 8 song disc, because nothing on there is any reason to tour the world with a giant spaceship / claw and somehow break all touring records.

I just think they have it in them (hopefully) to put out another JT or AB. NLOTH was nowhere near that....and they realize now is not the time to appease the limited fanbase and put out the artsy Songs of Ascent either. Maybe it would be nice to drop it as a fanclub exclusive instead of the Duals thing? But not the next big U2 release....no now.

Hearing the "who needs another U2 album" in the context made total sense. "they don't want JUST another U2 album, it better be great."

That's how I heard it. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom