Spider-Man 2.0 discussion...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I finally went and caught the show last week. I have to say the first half of the show is pretty terrible. It felt like a high school musical in terms of dialogue and some of the dance numbers. The second half of the show is much better, both visually, musically and overall storyline. Reeve Carney has a pretty good voice and sounded really good. The actor that plays the Green Goblin 'steals' the show.

The visuals and sets are truly spectacular throughout though.

Overall I am not a huge Broadway fan, but Turn Off the Dark is no better than a 4 or 5 out of 10 in my book.

The show is not the complete trainwreck it has at times been made out to be, but nor is it something I think people need to go out of their way to see.

surely that would still be Taymor's work wouldn't it??

or did they scrap her set/visuals??

(her visuals are incredible!!)

The actor that plays the Green Goblin 'steals' the show.

:up: not surprising in the least - Patrick Page is very good! i'm amazed he's stuck around this long actually...

Artists need to dabble in other media- they get otherwise bored and burned out. I enjoy it when the artist has real talent to work with. Now, celebrities that clearly don't have talent and just attach their names to things, well, that's very annoying.

I for one am glad that Bono and the rest of the band try other things like this, even if it falls flat, the challenge can be rejuvenating to the creative juices. Of course, if it fails massively it can destroy one's creativity, but that can happen with the artist's traditional medium as well. Creativity is risky.

it's purely a celebrity/privileged thing though isn't it, when people can pay their way into the spotlight like that, based purely on their "name" and not their track record in the field, bypassing the true creatives who've worked their asses off in their own field for years but just weren't lucky or got overlooked - the hardest thing for a creative is getting your work noticed, it doesn't matter how talented you are, you're a needle in a haystack and you need that lucky break, so it seems incredibly unfair when certain people can just wake up one morning and say hey i fancy doing such and such, and there's absolutely no obstacle to them getting what they want...

it's vanity, not artistic merit...

bit like Beyonce, deciding she HAD to have that role in Dreamgirls, and went in all guns blazing in full costume + hired dancers and bamboozled them all in the audition... no up and coming actress could've competed with that, and i think she used her position unfairly to get what she wanted - no way was that a level playing field!

I'm on Taymor's side. Nobody comes out of this smelling of roses, but I'm amazed anyone would think Taymor was more at fault than B&E. They handled this like Beavis and Butthead, sheer incompetence, sheer ego, sheer vanity.

totally agree!

and then they had the nerve to throw Taymor under the bus :down:

(ok i'm done for the night - Spider-Man always makes me SO cranky!)

it's purely a celebrity/privileged thing though isn't it, when people can pay their way into the spotlight like that, based purely on their "name" and not their track record in the field, bypassing the true creatives who've worked their asses off in their own field for years but just weren't lucky or got overlooked - the hardest thing for a creative is getting your work noticed, it doesn't matter how talented you are, you're a needle in a haystack and you need that lucky break, so it seems incredibly unfair when certain people can just wake up one morning and say hey i fancy doing such and such, and there's absolutely no obstacle to them getting what they want...

bit like Beyonce, deciding she HAD to have that role in Dreamgirls, and went in all guns blazing in full costume + hired dancers and bamboozled them all in the audition... no up and coming actress could've competed with that, and i think she used her position unfairly to get what she wanted - no way was that a level playing field!

Absolutely agree with this, you have a great point.

I finally went and caught the show last week. I have to say the first half of the show is pretty terrible. It felt like a high school musical in terms of dialogue and some of the dance numbers. The second half of the show is much better, both visually, musically and overall storyline. Reeve Carney has a pretty good voice and sounded really good. The actor that plays the Green Goblin 'steals' the show.

Overall I am not a huge Broadway fan, but Turn Off the Dark is no better than a 4 or 5 out of 10 in my book.

The show is not the complete trainwreck it has at times been made out to be, but nor is it something I think people need to go out of their way to see.

:up: not surprising in the least - Patrick Page is very good! i'm amazed he's stuck around this long actually...

I saw it when I was in town anyway for the U2 show, and I said the same thing about Page (Green Goblin), he not only steals it, but I think he saves it. Not to say I didn't enjoy the show, I did, and I liked Reeve Carney. He fit the Peter Parker role for me since he wasn't a Broadway actor/singer. As a spectacle in whole I liked it and had a great night out with it, but I think there's no way they could afford to lose Page.

I assume most of the visuals are Taymor's work; they certainly reminded me of her work on Lion King.

The sets and 'stunts' really are amazing for live Broadway theater. If the music, dialogue and dance numbers had been on par with the sets, it really would have been a spectacular show.

One more thing - I'd echo what a few others have said - if anyone does decide to go see the show, I highly suggest sitting in the 'flying zone' in the first balcony. IMO that is definitely the best location to take in all of the visuals and you get to watch Spiderman fly around right in front of you.

Fair enough, but then let's look at the counter side.

Get some talented, but unknown actress in that role. Would you be as excited to see it?

Movie stars and rock stars do carry weight. "Music by Elton John" at a Broadway musical will get extra attention. A movie starring Brad Pitt or Angelina Jolie will get noticed. An event featuring U2 will get talked about. Perhaps all used their celebrity to get those roles or events, but why is that? Because all of these artists HAVE done their time, they have proven to be successful and they will get noticed. With celebrity does come privilege, but one has to earn that celebrity. It's not like everything was handed to them.

So while celebrity has its perks, it also carries more risk when things go bad. In your example, Beyonce may have pushed her way into that "Dreamgirls" role, but she did not steal the show. In fact, it was often discussed how others upstaged her. And while Bono and Edge may have "won" the privilege of writing the music for Spider-man, they also took a LOT of heat for what went wrong, even though it was out of their control. Bono and Edge wrote music and helped get $$. But the writing, directing, acting, casting, set-design, choreography, etc., were all done by others. Taymor did a lot of good for the show - this is why her name is still associated with the production. But she also made some poor decisions and wouldn't listen to any alternatives. Her ego couldn't be stopped. Despite that, Bono and Edge were the fall guys for the problems, not her. They paid for their celebrity.

Celebrity brings power and opens doors. But that celebrity will also fall a lot harder than others. Before Ms. Houston's and Mr. Jackson's untimely deaths, they were the butt of many jokes. People love to knock down what they build up.

totally agree!

and then they had the nerve to throw Taymor under the bus :down:

(ok i'm done for the night - Spider-Man always makes me SO cranky!)

And I cannot disagree more.

As I wrote above, B & E really wrote music and got money. THAT was their role. Taymor was given total control. And she f*cked it up.

Sure, she had great visuals. She also injured a LOT of people - and sadly that became a huge joke. She seemed to put her vanity before people's safety. Then came the writing. People say the writing still needs some work now, but before, they said the show was an utter mess, with confusing and unnecessary characters and bizarre plot lines. She had the power to work with the show, altering and changing things that didn't work. Instead, she stood her ground and more people got hurt, more critics ridiculed and B & E - the one's that you claim were "Beavis and Butthead" - were taking the heat for her mistakes. The reason why Taymor was hired was because she was an award-winning Broadway director with lots of experience. Bono and Edge knew they were inexperienced, so a person with TONS of experience was hired.

So to say that THEY threw her "under the bus" is ridiculous. She almost ruined a multimillion dollar production before it even had a chance because of her ego. As a result, she was let go. Is the show as good as it could have been? Maybe not - and that is a shame. It could have been great, had she put her ego aside and used her skills as a director and writer to make something brilliant. B & E did write some great songs, but were they the best? Maybe not - but they were pulled away from writing due to funding issues and then trying to counter all the nonsense Taymor created.

IMO, she deserves the blame. How you feel otherwise is incomprehensible to me. It's not like she was dumped at the first sign of trouble - they gave her a LOT of chances. How much room do you give to a failing employee?

"Music by Elton John" at a Broadway musical will get extra attention. A movie starring Brad Pitt or Angelina Jolie will get noticed.

er... Elton John is a musician, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie are actors - that's their field... you've totally missed my point...

Bono and the Edge's involvement in Spider-Man went way beyond just writing the score (which also got slammed in the reviews, not just Taymor's work) - they initiated the project, they hired Julie, they contributed ideas for the book itself - this is all very well documented! besides, despite being musicians, writing for Broadway is a different kettle of fish altogether, and it was very much a different direction for them... and yes i stand by my opinion that they weren't qualified for the job and were out of their depth! if you look at some of the documentary footage when they were working with the actors/orchestra, they were excruciating! totally Beavis and Butthead!!

She was given total control. And she f*cked it up.

yes, Julie DID fuck up, she missed her deadlines, the book had no ending, but by that point she was pretty much on her own as B & E had other commitments, and the main problem was the fact that her producers were not doing their job and left her to her own devices instead of managing the production properly - my point has always been that she never should've had total control anyway - i've already dissected this in zillions of posts already, so really don't want to be repeating myself the whole time to be honest...

She also injured a LOT of people

with all due respect doctorwho, that's just crazy talk - otherwise i guess that must be why Christopher Tierney couldn't wait to get back to work!! :rolleyes:

IMO, she deserves the blame. How you feel otherwise is incomprehensible to me.

fwiw, i don't "feel otherwise" - she certainly deserves much of the blame but so do Bono and the Edge... it was their fuck-up as much as hers but they did all they could to try to come out of it like knights in shining armour!

I assume most of the visuals are Taymor's work; they certainly reminded me of her work on Lion King.

The sets and 'stunts' really are amazing for live Broadway theater. If the music, dialogue and dance numbers had been on par with the sets, it really would have been a spectacular show.

:up: thanks for clarifying!

er... Elton John is a musician, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie are actors - that's their field... you've totally missed my point...

Bono and the Edge's involvement in Spider-Man went way beyond just writing the score (which also got slammed in the reviews, not just Taymor's work) - they initiated the project, they hired Julie, they contributed ideas for the book itself - this is all very well documented! besides, despite being musicians, writing for Broadway is a different kettle of fish altogether, and it was very much a different direction for them... and yes i stand by my opinion that they weren't qualified for the job and were out of their depth! if you look at some of the documentary footage when they were working with the actors/orchestra, they were excruciating! totally Beavis and Butthead!!

As I read through your reply, I realized we aren't that far apart in thinking. I just blame Taymor a lot more than you.

B & E may have done more, like give ideas, to the project. But it's hardly like they wrote, directed, acted, choreographed, etc. They just gave ideas. Plus, who's to say that Elton John doesn't give ideas as well? Furthermore, the South Park guys were completely new to Broadway as well, but they succeeded with their show.

Why was that? Mostly because Parker and Stone were there. And I think that's the issue. As you wrote below, Taymor was given total control and that was disastrous.

I'm a Team Leader at my job. If I go over budget or miss a deadline, I will get heat. One could argue that this is where my bosses could step in. In reality, my bosses are juggling a lot - they trust ME to get this work done. And if my team and I do not, we take the heat. If anything, my bosses play the role of calming a situation and figuring out how to move forward.

If I mess up a lot, I can guarantee you that I will get horrible reviews or would be dismissed. As a result, I've learned how to be a good manager, both guiding my team on the work we have to do, but still staying within budget and a time line. If one or both cannot be met, then this information is brought up well ahead of time such that everyone can prepare.

Taymor is an experienced director. It's fine to be very artistic and dream. As a Team Leader, I too have to often come up with inventive ideas on how to solve a project. But as the director, it's also her job to fully realize budget and time line issues. And, IMO, she failed spectacularly at this. She was all vision - at any cost - without regard for "reality".

Perhaps my statement of her "letting people get hurt" was too dramatic. But that was my reason for writing it. She COULD have changed more of what wasn't working. Instead, she pushed ahead and more safety issues arose. She pushed ahead and lost actors. She pushed ahead and made a confusing story. She pushed ahead and the story and show were ridiculed. But who took most of the blame? B & E.

With this in mind, B & E really failed in their roles as "bosses" more than anything else. Taymor probably should have either been fired ages earlier. An alternative is to hire more "hands on" producers helping them while U2 toured. Those producers may have kept Taymor a bit more in check.

Not ALL of the music has been criticized. The parts that were reek of the U2 "adult contemporary" nonsense that U2 feels they have to produce lately. This music may have been fine in ATYCLB as that was a change in style, but all of U2's last three albums suffered because of it. NLOTH had moments of sheer brilliance, until U2 felt it necessary to throw in something like "Crazy Tonight". Ugh.

Still, could B & E have written a better score had they not been focused on a 1000 other issues? Money was one thing, but also having to deal with injuries, script changes, missed deadlines, more script changes, and an unyielding director who wouldn't take ANY suggestions (and that too has been well-documented) could have hurt.

So I stand firm - Taymor was the issue. Dump her early and maybe all of this wouldn't have occurred. If B & E take heat, it's from not firing Taymor earlier (or not having someone "check" her while they were on tour). Still, I can empathize. It's like hiring a very experienced employee. You think this person could do the job and do it well with little supervision. So when mistakes occur, you give the person another chance. And another. And maybe even another. But eventually, it's time to cut the losses.

Ultimately, this is a learning experience. Yeah, it's B & E's first time doing this. It may have been too ambitious for a first Broadway project. But despite all the problems, it's a hit. The musical is doing well. The success of this work may open the doors for a lot of future projects - not just for B & E, but for others who want to combine a type of Cirque de Soleil acrobatics within a musical of a very popular motif. Vegas has had success with the Beatles and other themes. To push this into the world of "Spider-Man" is unique and for that I applaud the effort, even if it isn't quite perfect.

What ticks me off most about Taymor is her lawsuit where she not only feels she was wrongfully dismissed (she lost millions in investor money, refused direction and missed every deadline possible - yeah, good job trying to convince a judge that you were dismissed for no reason), but she now wants to prevent the show from going on the road. Bring this act to other cities and it could make some real money. So now she's even selfish, potentially costing a lot of jobs. What a class act.

I love this song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCLqc15xZ0M
This is how I envision Bono when he was writing the track:

s4xqhk.jpg.gif

one of the problems with "A Freak Like Me" is the lyric "i'm a 65 million dollar circus tragedy" - it's out of character, and pure pastiche, self-referencing the show, like all the other little U2 references/puns, which is just sad and totally amateurish to my mind...

What ticks me off most about Taymor is her lawsuit where she not only feels she was wrongfully dismissed (she lost millions in investor money, refused direction and missed every deadline possible - yeah, good job trying to convince a judge that you were dismissed for no reason), but she now wants to prevent the show from going on the road. Bring this act to other cities and it could make some real money. So now she's even selfish, potentially costing a lot of jobs. What a class act.

I'm sorry, but with all due respect, you analysis here, and your other comments about this suit in this thread, are really strikingly incorrect. And I was just going to let all of that slide, until I read this:

I'm really thinking this Taymor woman is a true b-word.

So a woman who is asserting her legal rights is now a "bitch"? I'm sure you're a nice guy, and didn't mean it, but next time you think you've been treated unfairly and stand up for your rights remember you said that.

Have you read the suit? I assure you, Taymor very much wants the show to go on the road...she just realises what kind of massive profits that will generate (as did the producers) and wants to get paid for her work...and the lucrative merchandising rights that will attach to it.

You are correct in that she was certainly a big part of the Spider Man problems, and yes, it was appropriate that she was let go, and yes the show is better for it. But she still created the show, the show has her fingerprints all over it, and she should get paid. The lawsuit, on her part, is completely appropriate. Being "selfish" has absolutely nothing to do with it. If you want to talk about such things, you could say the producers are being selfish in not paying her. This has nothing to do with "lost jobs." Again, perhaps the producers, who are the employers of those potential "lost jobs" should have thought about that when they decided they didn't have to pay Taymor.

There is no "right" or "wrong" here, or generous or selfish, or fair or unfair. It's all about what each party is legally required to do, under the law. The fact that Taymor ended up creating problems with the show, and was (wisely, IMO) let go, doesn't mean the producers are freed from their contractual relationship under the law. Let me add that I'm not a fan of Taymor, and am not on her "side". I never understood U2's fascination w/her, and I think most (but not all) of her work is rubbish. Her Titus was horrid, and that movie w/Bono as a bus driver was borderline unwatchable. Though she did do some nice things with The Lion King. Again, I think it was the correct decision to let her go.

In any case, this is going to end up getting settled, with Taymor likely getting a pretty big payout. She has all the leverage right now, as the producers are desperate to take this on the road and reap the profits from ticket sales and merchandise the the show will reap. Taymor is entitled to a piece of those profits, and will get it, I can promise you that.

one of the problems with "A Freak Like Me" is the lyric "i'm a 65 million dollar circus tragedy" - it's out of character, and pure pastiche, self-referencing the show, like all the other little U2 references/puns, which is just sad and totally amateurish to my mind...

It's camp, like Spiderman and so many other rock musicals...

It's camp, like Spiderman and so many other rock musicals...

no it's not the camp aspect that bothers me, BVS

it's the fact that the character, the Green Goblin, is referencing the production issues - that's what i mean by it being "out of character" - how would the Green Goblin know anything about this whole production farce? he's meant to think he's real! he's not meant to know anything about Broadway, his Spider-Man world is meant to be a real world which he inhabits...

the fact that a line about the "reality" is thrown in breaks the illusion

it's a cheap writing/theatre device, it's insincere, and it's called pastiche

same goes for the U2 puns - why? what place do they have in a Spider-Man comic setting? none!

no it's not the camp aspect that bothers me, BVS

it's the fact that the character, the Green Goblin, is referencing the production issues - that's what i mean by it being "out of character" - how would the Green Goblin know anything about this whole production farce? he meant to think he's real! :D
It actually works pretty well with the Goblin character. Do you know how the Goblin came about? A multi-million dollar lab accident. So the line makes perfect sense.

same goes for the U2 puns - why? what place do they have in a Spider-Man comic setting? none!
For fun... You're allowed to have some btw. Spiderman is known for making campy puns. Julie originally put them in there.

It actually works pretty well with the Goblin character. Do you know how the Goblin came about? A multi-million dollar lab accident. So the line makes perfect sense.

yeah um i do know how the Green Goblin came about lol
i think that's stretching it though - i mean, they used the exact figure (how much it cost at the time) etc... reviews picked up on it instantly at the time...

yeah and re. your other point, Julie isn't really rated for her blistering sense of humour :D

yeah um i do know how the Green Goblin came about lol
i think that's stretching it though - i mean, they used the exact figure (how much it cost at the time) etc... reviews picked up on it instantly at the time...
But who cares if it's the exact figure? You said it was out of character, but it's not, it's a reference to how he was created with the dollar amount thrown in for fun.

It just feels like you're searching for any little reason to hate this.

But who cares if it's the exact figure? You said it was out of character, but it's not, it's a reference to how he was created with the dollar amount thrown in for fun.

you're missing my point BVS - by out of character i mean the sudden switch between fiction and fact, or the merging of the two as you seem to be looking at it - in my theatre training we were always told to avoid such devices - it's jarring and snaps the audience out of the theatrical illusion (if illusion has been successfully created) - it suddenly reminds the audience that it was a right royal fuck-up in terms of budget and then you get people laughing "at them" instead of "with them"... anyway, who knows if this line is still actually in the production?? plus i doubt every single audience member is going to pick up on it anyway lol!

sure i'm nit-picking here, but i do pay attention to detail, especially when it comes to theatre, it's one of my big passions in life... fwiw i trained with the same teacher Julie Taymor originally trained with, and who has always had a massive impact on her work, so i can see a lot of where she's coming from - the visuals and physicality just ooze his influence - so my criticism is actually informed believe it or not, i'm not just moaning for the hell of it (although i do like to do that as well sometimes!) LOL

It just feels like you're searching for any little reason to hate this.

oh believe me, there are PLENTY of reasons :D

i actually don't mind the music that much. there are some good bits and i think "rise above" and BFFTS are really good mid-tier U2 songs.

but i still want to pretend this doesn't exist. thinking about it makes me shudder. i'd much, much rather see "book of mormon."

i actually don't mind the music that much. there are some good bits and i think "rise above" and BFFTS are really good mid-tier U2 songs.

but i still want to pretend this doesn't exist. thinking about it makes me shudder. i'd much, much rather see "book of mormon."

:up:

i think Rise Above is lovely too, and i really like If the World Should End as well

"Pastiche" is one way to describe it, but all that really means, from what I gather, is 'Shakespeare used to do that, let's try to find something new people!' .
Breaking the Fourth Wall is the most specific way to describe it.

I think when you are dealing with fictional universes that deal only unto themselves it's a lot different than a fictional work set in 'our reality'.

If you were to break the Fourth Wall in Star Wars, it would destroy the suspension of disbelief because everything about the story depends on that suspension. These are entire universes created unto themselves, Lord of the Rings, Batman...most comic book universes fall into line here, including Spiderman. You don't break the Fourth Wall in a fictional universe like this, which requires such a leap in the suspension of disbelief.

You could do it in...Ferris Bueller, for one example, for comic relief. Some of us hate that in any event. But you certainly shouldn't do it in...Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which is why some of us hate Joss Whedon's work (campy, self-aware, self-referential).

So it's just a matter of taste, like anything else.
I totally agree with mama cass. The U2 references break that Fourth Wall as well.
It's just sort of hackneyed, as if it doesn't expect the audience to respect the fictional world at all. Of course, Green Goblin (from what I've seen) is an over-the-top hamfest.

So maybe TOTD isn't meant to be taken seriously at all. It's just a popcorn musical meant to put asses in seats and hopefully win some trophies for its vain producers.

So yeah, I am with mama cass on this. My only gripe was people judging it before having ever seen it (pop culture 'groupthink').

at theatre school, the teachers used to use pastiche to describe something that was a poor imitation, something insincere, that was thrown into a context in which it didn't belong, especially for cheap laughs - they used to say that to us students all the time when critting our work lol

cheers for your detailed explanation U2DMfan, that's exactly what i mean, about the importance of preserving the integrity of a "world"... you put it much more clearly than i did!

and what concerns me is maybe there was an underlying sense of not truly believing in it, a lack of conviction deep down, even at script level - the recent producers' lawsuit said Taymor wasn't really into the whole Spider-Man thing anyway, so maybe she didn't believe in it and that came thru in her writing... maybe she/they didn't truly believe in it so half expected the audience not to either... hence the cheap laughs... i dunno... just a thought... it baffles me though why anyone would want to get so involved in something if they didn't believe in it or weren't passionate about it...

I'm sorry, but with all due respect, you analysis here, and your other comments about this suit in this thread, are really strikingly incorrect. And I was just going to let all of that slide, until I read this:

I stayed out of this too until I read too many fans questioning B&E (especially the "Beavis and Butthead" comments - sorry Mama Cass).

It seems that most never wanted B&E to do this. And it's not just this "Spider-Man" show. Plenty of times in the past I've read fan comments on how the members of U2 should just focus on making more U2 music - and ONLY make U2 music. Forget side projects - whether that's a guest appearance or tribute album or a movie single - just make another U2 album and hurry.

To me, that's terribly limiting.

Plus, it's been clear since about 1984 that this is not what U2's about. These side projects are beneficial - in some cases, to the world.

Did B&E have Broadway experience? Of course not. But Did Stone and Parker? No. Both, however, now have hit shows (despite the fact that one will take a lot longer to reach profitability).

One may argue that despite "Book of Mormon", there were no delays with "South Park". That's fair - but that's also because there's a TV contract in place. If U2 were forced to release an album by a certain date, they would (see "Pop").

So a woman who is asserting her legal rights is now a "bitch"? I'm sure you're a nice guy, and didn't mean it, but next time you think you've been treated unfairly and stand up for your rights remember you said that.

Actually, I'm an ass. :applaud: And I'm willing to call out another ass when I see one.

Taymor is an ass.

Why?

Not because she's a strong woman. I respect that.

Not because she dared to dream big. I respect that even more.

Not because of her attempts to create something not seen on Broadway before. This, I respect most of all.

She's an ass for not putting her ego aside. She's an ass for allowing her "vision" to hurt more than help. As I wrote previously, at every opportunity she had to fix something, she refused. People were hurt. People quit. The production lost millions. So much of this could have been prevented or at least halted had she been willing to at least compromise on some key aspects.

I recognize her big dreams. I get that - I really do. But when there's injuries, mocking critics, lost money and fleeing actors, at some point things should have turned introspective.

With regards to the lawsuit...

If your assertions are correct, then I will eat humble pie. I may be an ass, but I'm not that big of one to be corrected. :cute:

The reports I read state she does NOT want the show to go on the road. If this is incorrect, fantastic. And the reports I read said she was suing for wrongful dismissal. Hmmm... she was probably given a healthy severance and her name is very much associated with the production. So it's not as if B&E just removed her. Plus, the reports I read gave Taymor plenty of chances to alter things and she did not. So at what point do you say "enough is enough" and move on?

I will accept that perhaps the reports I read were inaccurate, but I still don't think she has much legal ground for suing. One can (and should) be fired for poor performance. In theory, anyone can be sue for anything at any time - but it doesn't mean they will win.

The only scenario that would result in a positive outcome for her is if her dismissal violated her contract. If her contract called for a certain percentage of the profits, that are now being voided due to her dismissal, she may have some legal right there.

Of course, she has a LONG time to wait before that happens. The show is successful, but it will take quite some time before profits occur.

Still, I think this show and her handling of this show will ultimately reflect on her. B&E took the early heat. Now the show is doing well, everyone's quiet. But in the years to come, will others be willing to take such a chance on Taymor? "Spider-Man" wasn't a career killer. She just wanted it to be her "masterpiece" done at any cost. And that may prove to be her career downfall.

I stayed out of this too until I read too many fans questioning B&E (especially the "Beavis and Butthead" comments - sorry Mama Cass).

hey dude, i didnt start the Beavis and Butthead thing - i was just agreeing with lemonfly...

maybe some months or a year or so ago i may have described them as Bill and Ted though :D

But in the years to come, will others be willing to take such a chance on Taymor?

see, this is totally a U2 fan perspective...

you do realise, don't you, that Julie Taymor was the dog's bollocks in theatre-land - Bono and Edge were the newbies...

Julie doesn't need anyone to "take a chance" on her - she has an amazing reputation as a theatre artist and visionary... she'll be back...

and what concerns me is maybe there was an underlying sense of not truly believing in it, a lack of conviction deep down, even at script level - the recent producers' lawsuit said Taymor wasn't really into the whole Spider-Man thing anyway
No shit!

With regards to the lawsuit...

If your assertions are correct, then I will eat humble pie. I may be an ass, but I'm not that big of one to be corrected. :cute:

Let's see about that.

The only scenario that would result in a positive outcome for her is if her dismissal violated her contract.

Actually, no. The dismissal itself is probably the one thing that didn't violate the contract. The producers had every right to dismiss her. What they don't have a right to do is steal her intellectual property, and no pay her what she's entitled to.

First of all, your basic premise is incorrect, as are almost every statement you've made on this suit in this thread. Which would be fine, except you slandered this woman in very personal terms in the process.

The suit, at its heart, is not a "wrongful termination" suit, as you continually imply. That may be part of it tangentially, but really it's a breach of contract suit. This isn't some hourly employee being fired.

In most states there's a thing called "at will employee". You are working "at will". You can choose to quit with a moment's notice if you so desire and your company cannot do anything about it. Conversely, the company can dismiss you and not even provide you with any reasoning. They just don't want you there. That's what "at will" means - they let you work at "their will" and you work at "your will".

Plus, I believe NY is an "at will" state - meaning they can fire at will.

All of this business about "at will" employment is irrelevant. The issue is not whether the producers were within their legal rights to separate Taymor for the production. The issue is whether before that, or after, they violated, and continue to violate, part of their agreement with Taymor.

So there didn't have to be a reason to fire here - they just could.

Again, all irrelevant.

Taymor had an agreement that called for, among other things, her having complete creative control over the production. Her suit alleges that the producers violated this when they started to make changes to the book, and hold rehearsals, without her consent.

Another issue is the royalties, which Taymor is clearly entitled to, and the producers flat out refused to pay her for after she was separated. This was in clear violation of her contract. In any event, that part of the lawsuit....regarding her current royalties, was recently settled in her favour:

Under the deal, producers will pay Taymor full royalties as director from the beginning of previews in November 2010 through the run of the Broadway show, however long that is.

This settlement pays her royalties pays her royalties as director, which the producers originally refused to pay her and you would have advised her not to sue over. The Federal Lawsuit for copyright infringement...which will impact additional royalties, including paid for a touring production...stands. But if you would have bothered to read the suit, you'd see that the Taymor's finger prints are still all over that production (for good or bad). For the producers to be "off the hook" to her, they would have completely had to scrap her book and start over...which they didn't do. Whole sections of dialogue she wrote, and scenes she wrote, are still there with little or no changes. Her 2004 agreement specifically said she had to approve ALL changes to the book...something the producers ignored when they made changes to the book without her consent between December 2010 and February 2011.

Indeed, she's still listed on the Playbill, and her name is mentioned in some adverting for the production, if I'm not mistaken.

With regards to her copyright claims - I don't know enough there. But it sounds like this new show is nothing like her show. So she'll probably lose there too.

Are you sure about that?

Still think she's a bitch for standing up for herself, and "suing her boss"?

Speaking of which, this comment is just stunning:

And suing your former boss is never a good thing

Really? Really? So if your "boss" screws you over, breaks his contract with you, and refuses to pay you, you should just shut up and keep quiet? So if your boss promises to pay you, then doesn't like the work you do, so fires you then refuses to pay you, that's OK? You're just supposed to to take it?

Suing is "never" a good thing? Again, remember that next time you're screwed over by your employer.

As for this...

I'm not some big shot Broadway producer, but if I was, I wouldn't hire her no matter what experience she has. She's proven that if you want changes she won't do them and if you dismiss her as a result, she'll sue you. Yeah - that's a catch.

...and this...

I realize her reputation is hurt, but she's pretty much flat-out destroyed it now. She had a zillion chances to act professionally - she's blown all of them. This law-suit may create such a negative vibe that she might not work in Broadway again (or at least not at that top level).

...and this...

Still, I think this show and her handling of this show will ultimately reflect on her. B&E took the early heat. Now the show is doing well, everyone's quiet. But in the years to come, will others be willing to take such a chance on Taymor? "Spider-Man" wasn't a career killer. She just wanted it to be her "masterpiece" done at any cost. And that may prove to be her career downfall.

As others have correctly pointed out, what utter nonsense. For one thing, many talented directors have reputations for being difficult to work with. For another, suits like this over royalties are common place on Broadway and Hollywood. Peter Jackson recently sued New Line over royalties for Lord of the Rings (again, settled). If every time a producer refused to work with a director, or actor, who sued over royalties, not a lot would get done in Hollywood or Broadway.

Taymor is an Academy and Tony award winning director. B&E sought her out for this project. She's going to have plenty of opportunities to work when a project that interests her presents itself. As long as her productions sell tickets, and are creatively captivating, producers will flock to her.

Perhaps it's the producers who should be concerned that other high-profile directors won't want to work w/them b/c of the way their treating Taymor. Whose name do you think draws people in...Julie Taymor, or the Spider Man Broadway (not B&E) producers? Can you even name any of them?

I'm a Team Leader at my job. If I go over budget or miss a deadline, I will get heat. One could argue that this is where my bosses could step in. In reality, my bosses are juggling a lot - they trust ME to get this work done. And if my team and I do not, we take the heat. If anything, my bosses play the role of calming a situation and figuring out how to move forward.

Taymor is not a salaried employee, she's a fucking creative professional..she was hired for her artistic vision, not for her people skills. She had total control of the project, via her contract. If the producers didn't like what she was doing, they had two choices...work with her to change things, or fire her. Not go behind her back and undermine her vision. Again, she was hired for her artistic vision. Later they decided they didn't like the vision her artistry was producing.

For one, in this suit she's not trying to convince anyone she was "dismissed for no reason."

And as I said previously, she doesn't want the show shut down. Not really. Ultimately, she wants the show to go on b/c that's more royalties for her...but first, she wants to make sure she gets paid what she's due. It's not about being 'selfish'. If the producers gave a shit about those jobs you refer to, they would have not played these games in not paying her. They know they have no case to stand on, which is why the've settled that part of suit.

After they fired her, the producers knew they'd have to pay, but obviously they want to pay as little as possible. So they just refuse to pay, knowing that she will sue. They also know that ultimately she'd probably end up settling the case for less than what the contract calls for. Which is exactly what will happen in this case. They will pay, but less than their technically liable for. And if it came to it, a judge or jury may (or may not) take into account the Taymor's performance when awarding her a judgement. But it won't come to that. Neither party is going to want a drawn out lawsuit. Not Taymor, and certainly not the producers, who have a lot of money to lose while the touring production is on hold.

Once again, I agree that Taymor was rightly separated from the project. Everything you say about the creative and production difficulties is to some extent, maybe even a great extent, her "fault". Yes, her story sucked, she went over budget, missed deadlines, etc. All was at least in part her fault. But not completely, and in any event just because the producers decided to separate her from the production doesn't mean that the don't have to pay her what they owe for her work. They likely should have gotten rid of her a lot earlier in the game...but for as long as they kept her on, knowing what was happening, they shared responsibility.

Taymor is an ass.

I'm really thinking this Taymor woman is a true b-word.

I don't blame you for not understanding the case, or perhaps reading inaccurate news reports. If it was just a matter of spouting uniformed nonsense, I would have let it slide. But next time you call a woman a "bitch" and "ass" for standing up for her rights, along with badmouthing her repeatedly, you might want to acquaint yourself with the actual facts before you do so.

Enjoy your pie.

here is Julie Taymor's response to the producers' countersuit - it makes some very interesting reading actually, and in fact goes along with what some of us have been saying all along...

it also clarifies the problem with the lack of an ending - which was due to a technical problem which couldn't/wouldn't be resolved, and not to an unfinished book...

the affirmative defences from page 18 onwards are very eye-opening...

taymor

ps- Doctorwho - enjoy! :D

Back
Top Bottom