Slow Dancing w/ Willie Nelson

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zoopop

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I saw Willie Nelson for the 1st time last night in concert. Really a great show. Never realized till last night how great of a guitar player Willie is, especially at age 75.

Anyway, got me thinking today of the Slow Dancing B-side featuring Willie. Really enjoy this song. Such another depature for U2 during the Pop era. Anyone have any history/stories on this recording. Wasn't Slow Dancing originally written for Roy Orbison?

No I'm pretty sure Slow Dancing was written with Willie in mind and it was written during the Zooropa sessions if I'm not mistaken - the acoustic version with Bono and Edge is on the Stay single, which I actually like more than Willie's version.

She's A Mystery To Me was written for Roy Orbison.

No I'm pretty sure Slow Dancing was written with Willie in mind and it was written during the Zooropa sessions if I'm not mistaken - the acoustic version with Bono and Edge is on the Stay single, which I actually like more than Willie's version.

She's A Mystery To Me was written for Roy Orbison.
It was definitely written before the Zooropa sessions, even before the Achtung Baby sessions. Probably it was written during the late eighties (Lovetown).

YouTube - U2 Slow Dancing

It was written during Lovetown, and Bono introduced it as a "song we wrote for Willie Nelson"(much to Bono's embarassment later for Willie had no clue) but Willie never took them up on the offer until late 90's. At one point they were going to record it for Zooropa with all these trippy background noises but it never worked so all we have is the acoustic version...

Willie Nelson is cool.

Willie is the definition of cool...

sidenote:
A friend of mine in college worked on Willie's ranch in Austin one summer and got to sample his personally grown stash, he brought some WillieWeed back after the summer... but I did not inhale...

True story...

Willie is the definition of cool...

sidenote:
A friend of mine in college worked on Willie's ranch in Austin one summer and got to sample his personally grown stash, he brought some WillieWeed back after the summer... but I did not inhale...

True story...

I agree, we lost Johnny Cash but we still have Willie.
I know you didn't inhale..but did your friend say if it was any good or not?:wink: I'm sure it was!

It was written during Lovetown, and Bono introduced it as a "song we wrote for Willie Nelson"(much to Bono's embarassment later for Willie had no clue) but Willie never took them up on the offer until late 90's. At one point they were going to record it for Zooropa with all these trippy background noises but it never worked so all we have is the acoustic version...

Thank you bonovox, I love getting enlightened.....but I would really love some WillieWeed - for medicinal purposes of course :cool:

Willie is cool :rockon: Love the song

Back
Top Bottom