Rise Up indeed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheWanderer

The Fly
So, ashamed to admit, I only recently got the 2nd bonus disc from The Joshua Tree and UF reissues. I had been resisting it for so long, because I had always liked the track listing of B-Sides 1980-1990, and didn't want to mess with that.

But oh man, how I love the virtues of Rise Up. Very easy to see how this is a just jam/sketch/demo, but there's so much chemistry and energy in this track. It's a true reflection of the love that was powering them in this period.

The little beginning arpeggios remind me of the Unknown Caller intro, and the main riff is a bit God's Country-ish, but this track is so stellar. From Bono's urgent and passionate delivery that is unmistakably 1986, to Adam's bass slide, to Larry's tasteful restraint, I feel this track delivers in so many ways.

This track reminds me of so many "special moments" caught on tape in the midst of creative spurts. A snapshot of a band in a special moment, where even their rough sketches exhume brilliance.

I can just sit here and agree with everything you said here. :hug:

I love this song too. It's simple and it's obvious that it's a uncompleted piece of music (Bono mumbling lyrics to the melody makes that pretty clear), but the optimistic feel, Bono's vocals, Edge's chiming guitar in the background and the production with its beautiful layering of voices and instruments (you can even hear some sort of banjo or whatever it is in the background at times) makes it special.

A living, breathing example of leaping into the unknown, to something you haven't done before. :love:

Well, something we can agree on. :) I love the 1980-1990 B sides disc...to me that alone is one of U2's best "records" and better than a few of their regular studio releases. The B-sides from that era are easily the best.

As a result, the JT and TUF remasters were the ones I was looking forward to most (even if I had most of the songs already). Both the bonus discs (with a couple exceptions) are amazing on those releases.

I thought this thread was going to be about having a little too much fun listening to U2.

Always loved this song. It's neat how they're improvising it on the spot and it's all just a little jam out. I've always loved to sing "Rise up, rise up, rise up" with Bono during the chorus. It has this spiritual feel to it too. I wonder if this would've been considered for the double album that Bono wanted it to be?

Back
Top Bottom