Rattle & Hum, all studio dream tracklist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess I didn't understand you then.... lol!

You suggested Desire would have been a good opener. It was the lead single, though. I think the lead single being an album's opener is silly, personally. I also don't think (and this isn't necessarily directed at you) that one of the album's serious emotional high points (or low points depending on the way you look at it) in Hawkmoon 269 would be a good opener. Therefore, in my opinion, the biggest standalone non-first-single departure of a song that isn't too heavy (despite what BB King might say) would be a good choice for album opener.

I'm one of the very few people on Interference who likes Love Rescue Me quite alot; lyrically it's pretty interesting and Bono's vocals at the end are incredible, so I'd probably put it in place of She's A Mystery.

I'd also swap All I Want Is You and Heartland around. For me, the former works perfectly as an album closer.

I'm w/ U re: Love Rescue Me.

Perhaps they could do a 'remasted' edition of R&H and have:
CD 1: Album
CD 2: B-sides
CD 3: Live tracks from film that were not on the album.

or

CD 1: Studio tracks (album and b's)
CD 2: Live tracks (album and film track not on orig. album)

Be cool for the extra live tracks alone! R&H versions of "In God's Country", "Bad", "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and "With Or Without You" are some of the best!

Considering all the great b-sides and unreleased material from this era, this could have been a solid studio album...

my R&H:

Side One
1. Hawkmoon 269
2. Van Diemen's Land
3. Desire
4. She's a Mystery to Me
5. Angel of Harlem
6. All I Want Is You

Side Two
7. A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel
8. Slow Dancing
9. When Love Comes to Town
10. Hallelujah Here She Comes
11. God Part II
12. Heartland

Silver and Gold isn't my cup of tea, and I can't find a spot for Love Rescue Me, but the rest... Ahh, to dream...

You suggested Desire would have been a good opener. It was the lead single, though. I think the lead single being an album's opener is silly, personally. I also don't think (and this isn't necessarily directed at you) that one of the album's serious emotional high points (or low points depending on the way you look at it) in Hawkmoon 269 would be a good opener. Therefore, in my opinion, the biggest standalone non-first-single departure of a song that isn't too heavy (despite what BB King might say) would be a good choice for album opener.

I just meant it should be the track which opens the era, not the album. Sorry we misscommunicated.

I just meant it should be the track which opens the era, not the album. Sorry we miscommunicated.

Great thread, I almost wanted to create a similar one :D as I have been thinking of the same idea for a while. So here is my favourite tracklist, let me know what you think of it:

01 - Hawkmoon 269 > perfect choice as an opener : starts slowly and has so much energy.
02 - Desire > A big tune just after the more confidential H269 and before Heartland/GPII is clearly required and Desire fits quite well here.
03 - Heartland > third songs are often one of the best songs in almost all U2 albums, they are also very often ballads. So Heartland is perfect here.
04 - God Part II > Fantastic song and very original too just like most of the forth song of each album. It’s also perfect after Heartland just like in the original album.
05 - A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel > Great b-sides that I think deserves to be added. Fits well here: makes a good transition between GP2 and AIWIY
06 - All I Want Is You > Great to conclude the first part of the album. Personally I prefer the 4'17 edit version, the album version has a way too long ending imo. The 4' version is not perfect but is still better especially for a 6th song.
07 - Silver and Gold > Studio version from the best of b-sides not the album/live version of course. A good opener for the second part of the album.
08 - Angel Of Harlem
09 - Van Diemen's Land > For this one I think it's absolutely necessary to cut the crowd noise at the beginning and of course the interview at the end with a software like audacity.
10 - When Love Comes To Town > This atypical and energy full song is perfect just before the closer imo.
11 - Love Rescue Me > I was not a big fan of this song before but I think it works really well as a closer. That makes me like it a lot more.

I think that the biggest issues with R&H are its tracklist and how it gathers very different kinds of stuffs: live, studio and covers. Though as a studio-only album with a more conventional tracklist like this one for example I think it has the potential of a very, very good U2 album. In this form I really like it.

Last edited:
Rattle and Hum film > Album. Thank God for capturing those versions of Bad and SBS in that quality.

Colors crash coliiiiiideeee in bloodshot eyes....wings hair back....fucking awesome piece of nostalgia.

Back
Top Bottom