Rank Your Favorite Songs On The Album Part 12: The Joshua Tree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheEdge25

Refugee
The_Joshua_Tree.png

The last in the "Rank your favorite songs series", cause we're done with all the studio albums! :(

It's been fun doing these threads everyone, and I've got another secret thread surprise for after this one. But here goes with the band's fifth studio album, The Joshua Tree.

The Joshua Tree is my second favorite U2 album, but I think this was the hardest one for me to rank, just because I cannot bring myself to say that some songs are better than others. I thin everything about this album is perfect, but I'll try my very best!

1 - Where The Streets Have No Name (OF COURSE :applaud: )
2 - Running To Stand Still (in my opinion, the greatest song lyrically, behind Ultraviolet)
3 - With Or Without You (an amazing song. Everything about it is wonderful. The guitar - especially the solo, the bass, the drums that slowly build throughout the song, and of course Bono's fantastic vocals.)
4 - In God's Country (one of my favorite Edge guitar riffs. Loved the snippet during Beautiful Day last year!)
5 - One Tree Hill (hoping they play this song in Australia....for some reason, this song reminds me of New York City. Don't know why. But whenever I am in NYC, I always end up listening to this song, COBL, and New York on repeat :D )
6 - Red Hill Mining Town (this song holds a special place in my heart as being the first song I was able to masterfully play on guitar. I love it)
7 - Trip Through Your Wires (I love this song. Enough said)
8 - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (love it on the 360 tour, love it on this album, love it in general. This also holds a special place for me because I played this song at my uncle's funeral - it was his favorite song of all time and I felt so honored to be able to play it for all my friends and family. I started crying after the second verse and my best friend was forced to come up and help me finish singing it. It was such a marvelous moment in my life, though. Love it.)
9 - Bullet the Blue Sky (I like this song a lot, especially when I am driving. Don't bring it back for 360 though! It needs to rest...)
10 - Mothers of the Disappeared (this is higher than Exit, because I love the tranquility of the song and the amazing guitar. Plus, when they performed MOTD on the 360 tour, I was in awe at how good it sounds)
11 - Exit (I still love this rockin' song, and I'd love to hear it played live)

Seriously, in my book, all these songs would be number one. I don't have a problem with any of them, and whenever they appear on shuffle I can't seem to bring myself to skip them.

Sorry about rambling on about a few of the songs, this album just has such a dear place in my heart. Looking forward to what you guys have to say about it :D

I don't really have any anecdotes (witty or boring) about this.

Narrowly missing the top slot in my "favorite U2 albums" list. Hard one, this one. Not one song I don't like here, and ranking them is hard, except for the first and last songs.

1. Where the Streets Have No Name
2. One Tree Hill
3. Running to Stand Still
4. In God's Country
5. With Or Without You
6. Red Hill Mining Town
7. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
8. Mothers of the Disappeared
9. Exit
10. Bullet the Blue Sky
11. Trip Through Your Wires

1. With Or Without You
2. Where The Streets Have No Name
3. Exit*
4. Running To Stand Still
5. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
6. One Tree Hill
7. Red Hill Mining Town
8. In God's Country
9. Bullet The Blue Sky**
10. Trip Through Your Wires
11. Mothers Of The Disappeared

*would be #2 if it was more like the live version
**would be #6 if it was more like the live version

My favorite album of all-time. Cannot really say a whole hell of a lot more. You're music lovers, you know how albums can get you through tough times, enhance the good times, etc.....this album has never let me down, and it never well. Simply magical.

And you know what I just decided? This will sounds lame as fuck, but, I'm not ranking the songs.

1.Where The Streets Have No Name
2.With Or Without You
3.Running To Stand Still
4.I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
5.One Tree Hill
6.Red Hill Mining Town
7.Mothers Of The Disappeared
8.In God's Country
9.Exit
10.Bullet The Blue Sky
11.Trip Through Your Wires

I don't really have any anecdotes (witty or boring) about this.

Narrowly missing the top slot in my "favorite U2 albums" list. Hard one, this one. Not one song I don't like here, and ranking them is hard, except for the first and last songs.

1. Where the Streets Have No Name
2. One Tree Hill
3. Running to Stand Still
4. In God's Country
5. With Or Without You
6. Red Hill Mining Town
7. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
8. Mothers of the Disappeared
9. Exit
10. Bullet the Blue Sky

I will go with this :heart:

Sounds reasonable to me, No spoken words :). It's your call.

First album I brought when I got into the band. I was at a CD store in Sioux Falls, trying to decide between this and their 1980-1990 best of ('cause I knew more off the latter CD), and I remembered hearing all about how classic this album was, and it had "With Or Without You" on it, so that clinched my decision. I remember being confused at first, though, 'cause I was listening to the album on the way home, and it was a very windy day and we had our windows open in the car, so even though I had the volume up as high as it would go on my CD player, it was still a bit hard to hear the songs over the wind at times. So when "Exit" started, I couldn't hear squat, given how quietly it begins, and I thought there was something wrong with my CD! I didn't realize that it started so softly until I tried playing the CD again at home :p.

Another one of my top 5 picks, so much great stuff on here, a landmark album for the band and in general, hard to argue with the greatness of this one.

1. With Or Without You (Desert island song for me. Always loved this song, always will)
2. Trip Through Your Wires (Will always defend this one. It's a fun, rollicking song, love the harmonica and love the way it's sung-just a good bar song, and I'm not much of a bar person)
3. Running To Stand Still (Superb lyrics, very vivid, heartbreaking song)
4. Bullet The Blue Sky (Again, another one that kills live in all the clips I've seen and versions I've heard, with a great message behind it. One of the best examples of Larry's drumming and Edge's guitar work ever)
5. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (Can fully relate to these lyrics. I particularly love versions where they throw in the gospel choir, just brings out the theme of the song even more. This is the kind of spiritual sort of music I can appreciate)
6. Exit (One of their darkest, creepiest songs ever)
7. Red Hill Mining Town
8. One Tree Hill (I've always loved the lyrics in this one, too)
9. Mothers Of The Disappeared
10. Where The Streets Have No Name (Can't hear this one without thinking of Muse now :D)
11. In God's Country

7 through 10 were really hard to rank, 'cause I love all those songs. As with some of the other lists here, they can all flip around to different spots depending on my mood.

Really enjoyed doing this, was lots of fun. Can't wait to see how the final rankings of everyone's votes will turn out should you do one, and I'm curious about the secret thread...hmmm.

Angela

Sounds reasonable to me, No spoken words :). It's your call.

Thanks!

Like I was just saying to BASHley, I just think that for me, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts and I just don't want to get into ranking a bunch of songs that all mean something to me.

Still interesting to see other people's lists, though, for sure.

I will say, though, that One Tree Hill is my favorite, that much is undeniably clear to me.

The album that made me a fan. My favs have changed a bit though from 20+ years ago.

1. In God's Country
2. Streets
3. Red Hill Mining Town
4. Trip through your wires
5. Still havent found
6. Bullet the blue sky
7. Running to stand still
8. One tree hill
9. With or without you
10. Exit
11. Mothers of the disappeared

Sad to see ttyw last for some. :sad:

1. one tree hill
2. with or without you
3. where the streets have no name
4. in god's country
5. i still haven't found what i'm looking for
6. red hill mining town
7. exit
8. mothers of the disappeared
9. running to stand still
10. trip through your wires
11. bullet the blue sky

only skip bullet usually, just because it doesn't have the power i wish it did. spoiled by the live version.

I don't think I could go through and rank everything. All I know is that Trip Through Your Wires is dead last. Don't hate it, but for me it's clearly the weakest song on the album by a large margin. And then Red Hill Mining Town, which I actually really like, which gives you an indication of how hard it would be for me to rank the rest of the album.

I don't think I could go through and rank everything. All I know is that Trip Through Your Wires is dead last. Don't hate it, but for me it's clearly the weakest song on the album by a large margin. And then Red Hill Mining Town, which I actually really like, which gives you an indication of how hard it would be for me to rank the rest of the album.

:up:

my second favorate album and realy hard to choose except vor number one

1. streets!
2. wit or without you
3. still havent found what i`m looking for
4.running to stand still
5. mothers of the dissa[eared
6.red hill mining down
7. trip to your wires
8 one tree hill
9. exit
10. bullet the blue sky
11. in god`s country

Second Best U2 Song Ever
1. One Tree Hill

Very Fine U2 Listening
2. Red Hill Mining Town
3. Exit
4. In God's Country
5. Mothers Of The Disappeared
6. With Or Without You
7. Where The Streets Have No Name

Fine U2 Listening
8. Running To Stand Still
9. Bullet The Blue Sky

Boring U2 Listening
10. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

Ugh (or, Why Didn't They Use Spanish Eyes Instead?!)

Until AB was released I thought there could never be an album better than TJT…It's still my number 2 album of all time by anybody.
1. Where The Streets Have No Name 10/10
2. One Tree Hill 10/10
3. Red Hill Mining Town 10/10
4. Running To Stand Still 10/10
5. I Still Haven't Found 9.5/10
6. With Or Without You 9.5/10
7. Mothers of the Disappeared 9.5/10
8. Bullet The Blue Sky. 9/10
9. Exit 9/10
10. Tripped Through Your Wires 9/10
11. IGC 7.5 /10

My favorite album of all-time. Cannot really say a whole hell of a lot more. You're music lovers, you know how albums can get you through tough times, enhance the good times, etc.....this album has never let me down, and it never well. Simply magical.

And you know what I just decided? This will sounds lame as fuck, but, I'm not ranking the songs.

this = me with AB & JT

last time i listened to this album we were driving from the Grand Canyon to San Diego, and my hopes of visiting the Joshua Tree were gone. but i spotted a few on the drive to San Diego, and driving through those deserts, looking exactly like i thought they would, with the rain coming down and the sky behind us an indescribable mix of red, pink, blue and purple, i didn't say a word for 50 minutes and 11 seconds. i can't rate the songs either, though i know Streets and Running to Stand Still are at the top.

Streets remains my favourite song of all the songs i've ever heard. that intro sums up perfectly why U2 is so special to me, why no one else gets it, why no else i know in real life is moved by music like i am.

1. Running to Stand Still

2. Where the Streets Have No Name
3. With Or Without You
4. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
5. Bullet the Blue Sky

6. In God's Country
7. Mothers of the Disappeared
8. One Tree Hill
9. Red Hill Mining Town

11. Exit

I can't say I love JT; I find everything after Running to Stand Still good/ok but not great and some of Bono's vocas on this album get on my nerves a bit.

Amazing album..amazing songs..so hard to rank..here we go

1. I still havent found what i'm looking for
2. With Or without you
3. where the streets have no name
4. running to stand still
5. trip through your wires
6. Red hill mining town
7. one tree hill
8. In Gods Country
9. Bullet the blue sky
10 exit
11. Mothers

this is it for me, some wanted to rank higher, but i feel the songs on the top deserve to be on top.

can't wait for TheEdge25 to start the surprise thread :up:

I started liking this album more lately and now it's my second favourite U2 album after AB of course.

1. Where The Streets Have No Name
2. Running To Stand Still
3. Exit

4. With Or Without You
5. Bullet The Blue Sky
6. On Tree Hill

7. In God's Country
8. I Still Haven't Found
9. Red Hill Mining Town
10.Mothers Of The Disappeared

11. Trip Through You Wires: A fun song but compared to the rest of the album it falls flat.

1. Where The Streets Have No Name
2. Running To Stand Still
3. With Or Without You
4. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
5. One Tree Hill
6. Red Hill Mining Town
7. Mothers Of The Disappeared
8. In God's Country
9. Exit
11. Bullet The Blue Sky

Back