Original Of the Species your thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Perhaps the best song from that album. Bono's clunky lyrics aside, it has a great chorus. It doesn't rank with the band's best material (late '80s-early '90s), but I enjoy listening to it, partly because it reminds me of someone. I actually think the album version is superior to the single version, though the latter would be cool to have, too.

Hi everybody

i have been pleasantly surprised by the amount of posts this song has gradually accumulated as i have not heard it mentioned much in context with the bands other material. I love the idea of the band trying out and feeling their way into different things at different periods of their songwriting over the years. Sometimes i like it other times not so much but Long may it continue as far as i am concerned.

I guess then Original of the species is, for me another step at something different despite not being anything as radical as the zoo/pop period. They have always written cracking pop songs but this, to me, seemed subtly different again.

I guess this is why this quote from Mudfield interested me,..

It doesn't rank with the band's best material (late '80s-early '90s),

I have no problem with the individual viewpoint but as i say am also interested the idea of change and difference and subsequent difficulty of comparison, be interested in Mudfields and others thoughts if it interests you, love this forum for it's questioning, passion for the band and lack of bitchiness encountered thus far -take care -jules

Back
Top Bottom