Is This It?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And here's a list off the top of my head of almost 40 songs that are considered great and/charted on the billboard charts. Not sure many bands can claim this sort of catalog. Again, spanning over 4 decades.
For comparison, my second favorite group, that was HUGE, and long-standing is REM. They had about 20 songs over 2 decades that would fit this category.

I Will Follow
The Electric Co
Gloria
NYD
SBS
Two Hearts
Pride
Bad
WOWY
ISHFWILF
Streets
Bullet
In God’s Country
Desire
Angel of Harlem
WLCTT
AIWIY
HMTMKMKM
The Fly
One
Mysterious Ways
EBTTRT
UTEOTW
Lemon
Stay
Discoteque
Staring at the Sun
The Sweetest Thing
Electrical Storm
BD
Elevation
Stuck
Walk On
Vertigo
SYCMIOYO
Boots
EBW

I love your posts here, but Boots? yikes. and a few others are pretty questionable as far as being examples of popular U2 songs...

There have been plenty of bands as big as or bigger than U2 since 87. Just look at album sales and cultural impact.

GnR (87-91)
Metallica (early 90s)
Nirvana (92-94)
Pearl Jam (92-95)
Oasis (95-97)
REM (91-95)
NKOTB (late 80s)
Backstreet Boys (97-00)
N Sync (98-00 ?)
Smashing Pumpkins (95-96)
Depeche Mode (87-94, still play arenas & stadiums)
Radiohead (97-preaent)
Coldplay (02- present)

Then there's Michael Jackson, Mariah, Bruce, Taylor, Beyonce, Kanye, Jah Rule & Ashanti, Biggie, Tupac...

If you want

U2 sustained what they couldn't, but they're more like Steve Yzerman than Wayne Gretzky. And nobody really cares about their new stuff aside from fans, which is fine.
Hollow, bands have their media blitz years and then all turn into the Grateful Dead. I am not sure I get that Yzerman/Gretzky quote. Bono said Larry was the Mark Messier and Adam was Grant Fuhr. Edge of course is the great one.

https://youtu.be/1oMxE1yPrQw

I love your posts here, but Boots? yikes. and a few others are pretty questionable as far as being examples of popular U2 songs...

Boots was a top 40 billboard single. And it was a top 10 hit in about 15 other countries. So yeah, Boots.

What others are questionable? I said these are songs that charted fairly well (ie. Boots, Discotheque) or are regarded as classic U2 songs (ie. Bad, I Will Follow...)

Last edited:
And here's a list off the top of my head of almost 40 songs that are considered great and/charted on the billboard charts. Not sure many bands can claim this sort of catalog. Again, spanning over 4 decades.
For comparison, my second favorite group, that was HUGE, and long-standing is REM. They had about 20 songs over 2 decades that would fit this category.

I Will Follow
The Electric Co
Gloria

NYD
SBS
Two Hearts
Pride
Bad
WOWY
ISHFWILF
Streets
Bullet
In God’s Country
Desire
Angel of Harlem
WLCTT
AIWIY
HMTMKMKM
The Fly
One
Mysterious Ways
EBTTRT
UTEOTW
Lemon
Stay
Discoteque
Staring at the Sun

The Sweetest Thing
Electrical Storm
BD
Elevation
Stuck
Walk On
Vertigo
SYCMIOYO
Boots
EBW

I'm not going to deny that U2 are very popular but you're really stretching the definition of hits/classics here.

If you're going to talk about songs that are considered great and mention REM then you've got to include all of Murmur, all of Reckoning, most of the next three albums, all of Automatic...a smattering of Green, Out of Time and New Adventures...

On RYM, REM have four albums that have higher ratings than the Joshua Tree, five rated higher than Achtung Baby, six higher than TUF and a seventh (New Adventures) tied...nine are ahead of Boy, U2's fifth highest rated album.

Talking about things that are considered great is largely arbitrary, but the most reliable way to determine that is through aggregating many opinions. Yes, some magazines and the industry (and fans, of course) loved ATCYLB and HTDAAB, but the 4,000 + who rated them don't rate them very highly at all. In fact, 14 REM albums - every one except for Around the Sun (the worst album ever made) - has a higher rating than U2's last five albums.

REM and U2 both had two albums on Rolling Stone's top 100 of the 80s. REM won 3-1 in the Pitchfork 80s list.

Here's the note accompanying Paste's 80s list: Note: We included a maximum of two albums per artist so this didn’t just become a list of great R.E.M., Smiths and Springsteen albums.

Also, if we're going to talk about U2 being considered great, we need to acknowledged how hated they are by so many. Not many bands are as hated as U2.

I'm not going to deny that U2 are very popular but you're really stretching the definition of hits/classics here.

If you're going to talk about songs that are considered great and mention REM then you've got to include all of Murmur, all of Reckoning, most of the next three albums, all of Automatic...a smattering of Green, Out of Time and New Adventures...

On RYM, REM have four albums that have higher ratings than the Joshua Tree, five rated higher than Achtung Baby, six higher than TUF and a seventh (New Adventures) tied...nine are ahead of Boy, U2's fifth highest rated album.

Talking about things that are considered great is largely arbitrary, but the most reliable way to determine that is through aggregating many opinions. Yes, some magazines and the industry (and fans, of course) loved ATCYLB and HTDAAB, but the 4,000 + who rated them don't rate them very highly at all. In fact, 14 REM albums - every one except for Around the Sun (the worst album ever made) - has a higher rating than U2's last five albums.

REM and U2 both had two albums on Rolling Stone's top 100 of the 80s. REM won 3-1 in the Pitchfork 80s list.

Here's the note accompanying Paste's 80s list: Note: We included a maximum of two albums per artist so this didn’t just become a list of great R.E.M., Smiths and Springsteen albums.

Also, if we're going to talk about U2 being considered great, we need to acknowledged how hated they are by so many. Not many bands are as hated as U2.

This is a ludicrous response in almost every way...

Have you read ANY of my previous responses? My whole entire point is not that a certain band might have sold more copies of an album some year, or may have gotten more critical praise at some point for something.
It's the fact that U2 is the only band to combine ALL of these elements and be incredibly successful over a longer stretch than anyone else.

I love REM. In fact i will listen to them far more often than U2, I have 2 of their albums in my top ten vs. 1 for U2. BUT, I am under no illusions that at ANY time, was REM a "bigger" band than U2.

In the height of REM's success, 88 to 92 (Green, Out of Time, Automatic) they sold a combined 10 million albums in the US, with only 1 of those albums going to number 1. Green wasn't even in the top 10.
U2, in their height, 87 to 91, JT, R&H, AB) they sold a total of 23 million.
JT was number 1 for 9 weeks, R&H for 6 weeks, and Achtung hitting number 1 as well.
I won't even mention worldwide figures as it wouldn't even be close.
That's just album sales. Then look at success of singles, ticket sales, critical acclaim, etc...
Again, U2 encompasses it ALL.

U2 had two huge tours, were on the cover of Time and pretty much set up residence on the cover of Rolling Stone, while setting records on the Pop, Rock and Alternative Billboard charts during this time. REM were riding high, but not even in the same ballpark.

And you are completely misrepresenting my list of songs as well. As i mentioned a couple of times. These are songs that either charted respectably, or are considered "great" songs. By "great" i was meaning more in the sense - that at the very least, the general listening public would be quite familiar with them, and easily attribute them to the artist. And at most, be considered classic songs.

That's how i came up with the original list.

So I pared it down to just well known songs -

I Will Follow
NYD
SBS
Pride
Bad
WOWY
ISHFWILF
Streets
Bullet (maybe)
Desire
Angel of Harlem
AIWIY
One
Mysterious Ways
EBTTRT
Stay
Discotheque
The Sweetest Thing
BD
Elevation
Walk On
Vertigo
(22)

Radio Free Europe
Rockville
Fall On Me
The One I Love
End of the World…
Stand
Orange Crush (maybe)
Losing My Religion
Shiny Happy People
Everybody Hurts
Man on the Moon
What’s the Frequency Kenneth
The Great Beyond (maybe)
(13)

Then pared that down to just classic songs -

I Will Follow
NYD
SBS
Pride
Bad
WOWY
ISHFWILF
Streets
Desire
One
Mysterious Ways
BD
Vertigo
(13)

Radio Free Europe
Rockville
Fall On Me
The One I Love
End of the World…
Stand
Losing My Religion
Everybody Hurts
(8)

Obviously both bands are incredible and have had huge success. But U2 just eclipses REM. And like I said, that is no knock on REM. They are in my top 3 bands ever and I love them dearly.

I'm just puzzled by the resistance in admitting that U2 has had a more all-encompassing success for a longer period of time than any other band.

Last edited:
Boots was a top 40 billboard single. And it was a top 10 hit in about 15 other countries. So yeah, Boots.

What others are questionable? I said these are songs that charted fairly well (ie. Boots, Discotheque) or are regarded as classic U2 songs (ie. Bad, I Will Follow...)

Well, first off as a U2 fan I love almost every song on your list (except Boots, but you knew that :D).

My only point was that I doubt a lot of them would really be familiar to the general music public (whatever the hell that means :lol:).

Anyway, a few questionable ones in this regard: IGC, WLCTT, HMTMKMKM, Lemon, Stay, Disco, SATS, Electrical Storm, Walk On, SYCMIOYO, Boots, even EBW which I love.

Some of these were singles and even lead singles. That does not really mean anything, nor does initial chart positions because for example, lots of people bought the Boots single, remembering how great the previous album was (whether you agree or not is irrelevant in this discussion)... but they got Boots which was rightly panned by everyone except the true U2 believers. And so it quickly fell off the charts, never to be seen again in album form except at maybe the promo show they did at Fordham University.

I know this is mostly subjective, and you may disagree completely. But that is what I meant.

Cheers

Here is the thing about Boots, it did make the Top 40 in the US but only due to its first week sales from hard core fans after which it plummeted down the charts and was out of the Hot 100 by its 4th week. It wasn't embraced on Radio or by the mainstream in any way.

That doesn't mean it is a bad song but I personally never count it on my list of U2 classics. Although, I do consider Elevation to be one of my favorite U2 songs and consider it among their most popular songs(based on the live experience alone) and THAT is not a popular opinion around these parts!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Have you read ANY of my previous responses? My whole entire point is not that a certain band might have sold more copies of an album some year, or may have gotten more critical praise at some point for something.
It's the fact that U2 is the only band to combine ALL of these elements and be incredibly successful over a longer stretch than anyone else.

I love REM. In fact i will listen to them far more often than U2, I have 2 of their albums in my top ten vs. 1 for U2. BUT, I am under no illusions that at ANY time, was REM a "bigger" band than U2.

In the height of REM's success, 88 to 92 (Green, Out of Time, Automatic) they sold a combined 10 million albums in the US, with only 1 of those albums going to number 1. Green wasn't even in the top 10.
JT was number 1 for 9 weeks, R&H for 6 weeks, and Achtung hitting number 1 as well.
That's just album sales. Then look at success of singles, ticket sales, critical acclaim, etc...

U2 had two huge tours, were on the cover of Time and pretty much set up residence on the cover of Rolling Stone, while setting records on the Pop, Rock and Alternative Billboard charts during this time. REM were riding high, but not even in the same ballpark.

And you are completely misrepresenting my list of songs as well. As i mentioned a couple of times. These are songs that either charted respectably, or are considered "great" songs. By "great" i was meaning more in the sense - that at the very least, the general listening public would be quite familiar with them, and easily attribute them to the artist. And at most, be considered classic songs.

That's how i came up with the original list.

So I pared it down to just well known songs -

I Will Follow
NYD
SBS
Pride
Bad
WOWY
ISHFWILF
Streets
Bullet (maybe)
Desire
Angel of Harlem
AIWIY
One
Mysterious Ways
EBTTRT
Stay
Discotheque
The Sweetest Thing
BD
Elevation
Walk On
Vertigo
(22)

Radio Free Europe
Rockville
Fall On Me
The One I Love
End of the World…
Stand
Orange Crush (maybe)
Losing My Religion
Shiny Happy People
Everybody Hurts
Man on the Moon
What’s the Frequency Kenneth
The Great Beyond (maybe)
(13)

Then pared that down to just classic songs -

I Will Follow
NYD
SBS
Pride
Bad
WOWY
ISHFWILF
Streets
Desire
One
Mysterious Ways
BD
Vertigo
(13)

Radio Free Europe
Rockville
Fall On Me
The One I Love
End of the World…
Stand
Losing My Religion
Everybody Hurts
(8)

Obviously both bands are incredible and have had huge success. But U2 just eclipses REM. And like I said, that is no knock on REM. They are in my top 3 bands ever and I love them dearly.

I'm just puzzled by the resistance in admitting that U2 has had a more all-encompassing success for a longer period of time than any other band.

All I Want is You and Angel of Harlem are classics too and are both in my top 20 U2 songs. Not only successful on radio and the charts but in concert both are huge crowd pleasers (AIWIY is actually epic).

And I'm happy you listed Elevation!!!

You could name hundreds of artists who were successful DURING U2's run. U2 has outlasted all of them. Sure a number of those artists are still around, but when U2 tours, their shows sell out across the world proving that millions of people still do indeed care about U2.

You could name hundreds of artists who were successful DURING U2's run. U2 has outlasted all of them. Sure a number of those artists are still around, but when U2 tours, their shows sell out across the world proving that millions of people still do indeed care about U2.

And even an album that was given away for free charted in the top 10 around the world. Which is saying something.

Songs the average person who doesn't give a rats fanny about U2 knows.

Sunday Bloody Sunday
Pride
Where The Streets Have No Name
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
With Or Without You
Desire
One
Mysterious Ways
Beautiful Day
Elevation
Vertigo

that's it.

and hey, that's a lot considering. and yes, some people may know a few more, and some people may know a few less. but generally speaking, that's all she wrote. some of you seriously over estimate how many songs the average person knows.

still a shit ton than many of the other bands being tossed around in this thread.

Last edited:

Sunday Bloody Sunday
Pride
With Or Without You
Desire
One
Mysterious Ways
Beautiful Day
Elevation
Vertigo

that's it.

I would throw Real Thing & Hold Me Kiss Me Kill Me in there....:reject:

Sunday Bloody Sunday
Pride
With Or Without You
Desire
One
Mysterious Ways
Beautiful Day
Elevation
Vertigo

that's it.

and hey, that's a lot considering. and yes, some people may know a few more, and some people may know a few less. but generally speaking, that's all she wrote. some of you seriously over estimate how many songs the average person knows.

still a shit ton than many of the other bands being tossed around in this thread.
I'd put New Year's Day in there before I'd include Elevation or Mysterious Ways.

I think it depends on their age. If they were listening to music in the late 90's they would have to know HMTMKMKM.

Yeah, and definitely NYD, I hear that song everywhere from the classic rock station, the bar, even the grocery store.

NYD is much better known than Elevation.

Like phanan said, its a classic rock staple. Its the first song that really broke huge for them.

NYD is much better known than Elevation.

Like phanan said, its a classic rock staple. Its the first song that really broke huge for them.
Disagree.

Perhaps with the older generation.

Elevation is a sports arena staple at this point.

I have no issue maybe adding NYD to the list, I almost did - but Elevation belongs there as well. I wish it didn't, but alas

Sunday Bloody Sunday
Pride
With Or Without You
Desire
One
Mysterious Ways
Beautiful Day
Elevation
Vertigo

that's it.

I was going to disagree about Elevation being well known today, but you're right: arena classic. It might be"that goddamn ooh-ooh song that's always played arghh my ears!!!" but yeah, it's a total jock jam at this point.

Disagree.

Perhaps with the older generation.

Elevation is a sports arena staple at this point.

I have no issue maybe adding NYD to the list, I almost did - but Elevation belongs there as well. I wish it didn't, but alas

I love me some Elevation and it is a sports staple (was/is the TD song played for the New England Patriots).

Sunday Bloody Sunday
Pride
With Or Without You
Desire
One
Mysterious Ways
Beautiful Day
Elevation
Vertigo

that's it.

You really don't think NYD?? I agree with the rest, except maybe Walk On should be on there?. But possibly not Walk On or Elevation... anyway. Yes a respectable list, that rival any other bands output

Just for comparison, i looked at song lists from Zeppelin, AD/DC, GNR, Coldplay and REM for some comparison

And if we follow that sort of strict - would your average music fan know who did the song just by the title -
Zep - about 14
ACDC - 10
GNR - 7
Coldplay - 7
REM - 8

Automatic For The People sold 18 million copies world wide. Same as Achtung Baby. Out of Time sold 18 million copies world wide. Zoorpa sold 7 million copies. This is even more impressive since REM didn't tour.

In the early 90s REM were as big as U2. I never said that REM were bigger. Just that they were in the same league. The only thing that I'd disputing is the claim that U2 are always the "Biggest Band In The World." I've been hearing this bit of branding forever, even when it's demonstrably not true, or debatable. However, their dominance over the long haul is remarkable.

U2 have not had a longer period of success than any band though. The Rolling Stones are packing stadiums 53 years after their debut.

You really don't think NYD?? I agree with the rest, except maybe Walk On should be on there?. But possibly not Walk On or Elevation... anyway. Yes a respectable list, that rival any other bands output

Just for comparison, i looked at song lists from Zeppelin, AD/DC, GNR, Coldplay and REM for some comparison

And if we follow that sort of strict - would your average music fan know who did the song just by the title -
Zep - about 14
ACDC - 10
GNR - 7
Coldplay - 7
REM - 8

REM 8?

Stand
The One I Love
End of the World
Losing My Religion
Shiny Happy People
Everybody Hurts

Coldplay 7?

Yellow
Fix You
that one about things being easy and hard
Viva La Vida Loca

REM 8?

Stand
The One I Love
End of the World
Losing My Religion
Shiny Happy People
Everybody Hurts

Coldplay 7?

Yellow
Fix You
that one about things being easy and hard
Viva La Vida Loca

I know, i'm trying to put myself in other people's shoes, but i for Coldplay
there's
Yellow
Fix You
Viva La Vida
Clocks
Magic
Trouble
A Sky Full of Stars

They were a little harder since some of theirs are newer and may be known now but not in 5 or 10 years...

REM

Radio Free Europe
Rockville
Fall On Me
The One I Love
End of the World…
Stand
Losing My Religion
Everybody Hurts

But I guess if we aren't putting I Will Follow or 2 Hearts or NYD on the list, then Radio Free and Rockville probably wouldn't make the cut

Automatic For The People sold 18 million copies world wide. Same as Achtung Baby. Out of Time sold 18 million copies world wide. Zoorpa sold 7 million copies. This is even more impressive since REM didn't tour.

In the early 90s REM were as big as U2. I never said that REM were bigger. Just that they were in the same league. The only thing that I'd disputing is the claim that U2 are always the "Biggest Band In The World." I've been hearing this bit of branding forever, even when it's demonstrably not true, or debatable. However, their dominance over the long haul is remarkable.

U2 have not had a longer period of success than any band though. The Rolling Stones are packing stadiums 53 years after their debut.

I still think the album sales figures are dubious. I can not see REM having a larger sales draw outside the US than U2. The album sold Automatic sold 5 million in the US, and Achtung has sold 8. I don't see how REM sold 13 million and U2 sold just another 8...
Anyway.

As for the Stones. I agree. They have a longer touring history, and still can do stadiums if they want. But I still think U2 has had a longer period of albums people actually care about, along with massive tours. And still the original line up, where as The Stones did a couple change ups, their last one being around '94.
But yeah The Stones will always be the grandfathers of rock that hold a special place in music history, that U2 doesn't quite fit into, nor do they really want to i suppose.

Back
Top Bottom