I Still Haven't Found on Rattle & Hum, interesting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DU2

The Fly
There is an interesting question about I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, I'm talking about the version with the gospel choir in Harlem.
I've been watching it for years and I've always loved Bono's performance there.
Here's the question.

Recently I watched for the first time the Rattle&Hum outtakes, and the thing I found really weird is that in the outtakes the song sounds slightly different from the official DVD, but if you listen closely I'd say you can notice that they're two completely different versions.

Here's the outtakes version, the singing starts around minute 4:00, and you can hear clearly Bono's voice cracking a couple of times.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbCjorVZOKE

Here is the official one, Bono's voice is amazing. Clean and loud. And really strong.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8Wt3dhF4fU

So?
At first I thought it was just the bad quality of the outtakes, then I realized that it's really a different version.
Seems like they recorded in studio the song and then put the audio on the original video.

Waiting for your considerations.

I'm not hearing any difference, actually. I think what's happening here is just that the first one you link above (the 'outtakes' clip) has a poor-quality audio track, maybe just recorded directly by the camera or something -- whereas the actual film's audio track is high-grade and professional and probably from a different mic. It's like the difference between an audience-recording bootleg and one from the band's mixing desk.

It is not impossible that it isn't the actual audio. But wasn't that video both the rehearsal and the live clip from MSG?

If you listen to All Along the Watchtower from bootlegs (now YT) the guitar Edge uses is really trebl-ey without much boost. On the DVD & album the guitar has much more bite.

Even the 'audience' mix on UABRS is presumably a composite. It just sounds to good to be true. Listen how the audience drops out during the NYD verses.

They are two entirely different takes, watch the break downs and the moment when the choir stands up, they're different...
I must confess I watched only the first part of the 'outtake' and not the whole thing. I'll take your word for it. It's quite likely that the track for the movie was edited and mixed severely, etc. However, the outtake still sounded identical to the movie at the beginning, when Bono begins to sing. Perhaps the movie's track is a composite of several different rehearsals in Harlem. (The track on the album is, of course, a performance at Madison Square Garden.)

canedge said:
Really BVS, really? What is a mix anyway when you think about it.

????

:huh: when you're talking about the mixing of a live album or concert you're just talking about the adjustment of levels. It just means they can turn up and down the audience feed when needed.

BVS, when I use the word tracks I mean a guitar take or a vocal take. Not a complete song. So if you get four or five audience feeds (takes) from an audience you can mix them down to one track.

Creating a full drum sound on an album (hit-hat, bass, snare, sticks) uses the same principles and techniques.

I really wonder why the OP added "interesting question" to his thread title. Is he trying to create more views that way?

I really wonder why the OP added "interesting question" to his thread title. Is he trying to create more views that way?

I wrote interesting because i find the question that way, I didn't mean what you said.

Back
Top Bottom