I miss Zoo TV era U2...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoocoustic

War Child
Since NLOTH has been released, I've been sort of "re-discovering" U2, and of course I've been drawn back to my favorite period in the band's history - the period that got me into U2 - the 90's, and the Zoo TV era.

Watching old You Tube clips of interviews of the band during the early 90's just reminds me so much of why I got into this band. Bono's swaggar, his style, everything about him during Zoo TV was just so unbelievably unlike anything else out there. They way he just manipulated every interviewer, and seemed aboslutely confident that the band was doing what it felt was best - regardless of what anyone thought or said. And I don't care if the whole thing was an act or full of irony or whatever. To me, that's who Bono was, and that's the reason I got into this band. Zoo TV got me into U2, and so understandably, everything since then (the changes) have been sort of a let down.

Don't get me wrong: I still love this band and I always will. Their 00's work has, for the most part, sat well with me. However, as I've re-discovered U2 these past few weeks, I have come to realize why this band is my all-time favorite, and I can point to the period of 1991 - 1993, when U2 far more than a great rock band, and Bono was just short of a god.

Thankfully, I'll always have the videos and the music to preserve that amazing period of time.

I second this...but I also love when U2 is just being themselves, which is why I also appreciate the Elevation Tour. I think if they tried doing ZooTV now it wouldn't go over as well.

For me, it was right and ok at that time, but it wouldn't be right now. It's an episode in U2's carreer, but I don't miss it. I don't want U2 to go back or repeat anything. I want them to look forward. I know a lot of fans are nostalgic, but I'm totally with the band when they say they always look into the future and never look back. ZooTv was a great concept back then, really revolutionary, but I wouldn't like it to return.

Since NLOTH has been released, I've been sort of "re-discovering" U2, and of course I've been drawn back to my favorite period in the band's history - the period that got me into U2 - the 90's, and the Zoo TV era.

Watching old You Tube clips of interviews of the band during the early 90's just reminds me so much of why I got into this band. Bono's swaggar, his style, everything about him during Zoo TV was just so unbelievably unlike anything else out there. They way he just manipulated every interviewer, and seemed aboslutely confident that the band was doing what it felt was best - regardless of what anyone thought or said. And I don't care if the whole thing was an act or full of irony or whatever. To me, that's who Bono was, and that's the reason I got into this band. Zoo TV got me into U2, and so understandably, everything since then (the changes) have been sort of a let down.

Don't get me wrong: I still love this band and I always will. Their 00's work has, for the most part, sat well with me. However, as I've re-discovered U2 these past few weeks, I have come to realize why this band is my all-time favorite, and I can point to the period of 1991 - 1993, when U2 far more than a great rock band, and Bono was just short of a god.

Thankfully, I'll always have the videos and the music to preserve that amazing period of time.

:up::up:

And I don't care if the whole thing was an act or full of irony or whatever.
I think you can axe the "if" in that sentence
he was wearing leather trousers and fly goggles 80% of the time
if that wasn't an act then I feel really sorry for his family

I think you can axe the "if" in that sentence
he was wearing leather trousers and fly goggles 80% of the time
if that wasn't an act then I feel really sorry for his family

He's swapped the leather for denim and just upgraded to the shades (indoors and outdoors). I think U2 were being ironic and Bono thought he was looking good. :wink:

For me, it was right and ok at that time, but it wouldn't be right now. It's an episode in U2's carreer, but I don't miss it. I don't want U2 to go back or repeat anything. I want them to look forward. I know a lot of fans are nostalgic, but I'm totally with the band when they say they always look into the future and never look back. ZooTv was a great concept back then, really revolutionary, but I wouldn't like it to return.

Do you ever say anything that is against U2's opinion? I'm sorry, but every topic you post in, it's always about agreeing with the band. :huh: I'm not knocking you for it, but it just seems like you have no opinion yourself at times because it's like you are semi quoting them.

But anyway, I feel a bit of attitude again like ZooTV would certainly be an interesting thing to put in live performances. Sincere Bono is getting a little bit dull. Just my opinion.

Great topic, nicely said. I completely agree. NLOTH and this era, whatever/however it's going to look like with the upcoming tour, will surely stand well on its own, but right now, when we're in that in-between period before the tour starts, it's made me a little more appreciative of the 90s, though I can't yet quite pinpoint exactly why.

Bono's swaggar, his style, everything about him during Zoo TV was just so unbelievably unlike anything else out there. They way he just manipulated every interviewer, and seemed aboslutely confident that the band was doing what it felt was best - regardless of what anyone thought or said.

:up:

He's swapped the leather for denim and just upgraded to the shades (indoors and outdoors). I think U2 were being ironic and Bono thought he was looking good. :wink:

I don't want to sound "all Pleba"...but ZOO T.V/Fly Bono was the best looking Bono...

and he knew it LOLO

I don't miss the Zoo TV era... I'm honestly too busy being excited for U2's future to be obsessed with their past, considering what they were able to do with NLOTH.

Sorry if that sounds too cheesy.

In my opinion ZOO TV is probably the best tour in the history of music, I know i'm biased but it was just simply mindblowing. I hope the 360 tour will be just as amazing and innovative for its time.

This is why U2 are legends, if idiots judge them blindly tell them to watch the Live from Sydney DVD. :up:

I don't want to sound "all Pleba"...but ZOO T.V/Fly Bono was the best looking Bono...

and he knew it LOLO

Haha my mistake. Bono is a man of style.

I think I was meant to refer to Vertigo Tour Bono in that post. Shades, before the hair cut. PLEBAN's don't hunt me down haha.

ZooTV u2:

After a massive and successful album and tour: drunk at a pub in Ireland making fun of Phil Collins on the grammys.:up:

Now u2:

um.....I dunno......pretty good new album with Edge building a house in malibu?:|

AWESOME.

Go listen to the old shit and don't make a thread.
This was baselessly rude.
And I don't care if the whole thing was an act or full of irony or whatever.
Any act premised on self-referential irony has a built-in shelf life, though. It's fine to look fondly back and say 'For me, that will always be their greatest masterpiece,' but an artist can't go that route indefinitely; it starts to feel either pathetic or dissatisfyingly thin (or both) after awhile.

This whole site seems like a never-ending nostalgia trip of 90's U2 and how great they "used" to be.

Maybe some folks should pick up or re-read "U2 at the End of the world." Great book. Or at least it was when I read it a decade ago.

If the forum is pro-90s, good! It was their best era- they realised they could make important statements by far more subtle means than po-faced flag-waving. Bono's voice sounded great, (especially his falsetto) the Edge learnt there's more to a guitar than chimes, their shows were amazing technological feats and Bono developed some quite brilliant alter-egoes. The Elevation era looks puny and mediocre by comparison but evidently that's all the old guard are comfortable with. I am not saying I want Zoo Tv 2- times have changed but I do want a reapplication of the Zoo Tv concept, which is why I've always thought they'd do such a good job at poking fun at the internet, especially social networking sites. I've often imagined Macphisto saying "I know I've given you global warming, international terrorism and the credit crunch... but at least you can poke one another on facebook now!"

Yes, I miss Bono twirling round and round with the camera while wearing those shades and having his legs locked up with the wire and nearly falling over after stopping!

:D:D:D:D

But he actually made that look quite stylish as The Fly.

which is why I've always thought they'd do such a good job at poking fun at the internet, especially social networking sites. I've often imagined Macphisto saying "I know I've given you global warming, international terrorism and the credit crunch... but at least you can poke one another on facebook now!"

So you want lame grandpa Macphisto?

Seriously that sounds horrible...

Back
Top Bottom