I "heart" October

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purpleoscar

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Gloria

YouTube - U2 - Gloria [Live]

"Gloria" sounds like the singer was discovering what he was thinking as he was saying it. "That's exactly the way it was -- a failure to express myself. That's why it resorts to Latin: 'in te domine.'" (Surprisingly, Hewson isn't familiar with the Van Morrison / Them punk classic of the same name. Compare U2's "I can't find the door, the door is open, you're standing there, you let me in," to Morrison's "down my street / knocks on my door / to my room" narrative.)
(from "U2: Pluck of the Irish" by Jim Green, Trouser Press, March 01, 1982)

[Bono:] "On October I became more aware of the third part of myself -- the spiritual nature -- and I could have chosen to lock it away, and some would have preferred it that way, but I allowed it out. 'Gloria' is about trying to express such things, an insight into the moment when a song is written.
I try to sing this song
I try to stand up but I can't find my feet
I try to speak up
"It's about the failure of expressing yourself, which results in words that you can't find in English, so the Latin words came out." While some people were taken with the introspection of the first two U2 albums, others felt they were too impressionistic, even though Bono was trying to describe emotions that obviously don't translate well to rational terms. Some critics missed the point of the lyrics, but artists and writers were noticing and often praising them. Jackson Browne, of all people, cornered Bono last year to tell him how he related to the logic in the way the lyrics expressed inner emotions and the way the words were "splashed on the canvas." "A lot of our contemporaries were just throwing a lot of dark images together and pretending it was deep. But there was no real door open to the inside, to what was really happening."
(from "Love, Devotion & Surrender" by Tristam Lozaw, republished in U2 Magazine, No. 11, June 01, 1984, original publication unknown)

TW: I always wondered if "Gloria" was or could be about a woman, or if it was just about an ideal, maybe an ideal in terms of a sense of solace or something, an ideal source of comfort, that kind of thing...
Bono: Yeah...
TW: ...and it has the Gregorian chant kind of feel to it.
Bono: ...sure. Yeah, like a lot of the songs I write are... sometimes I know who I'm writin' 'em about but oftentimes I don't know what I'm writin' about. In fact I could give you instances where I would think I'm writing about a subject, and not be writing about that subject. But sometimes when I write a song, I just don't know who I'm writing about, but, umm, that song was more to document my own spiritual confusion at the time: "I try to stand up but I can't find my feet / I try to speak up but only in you I'm complete." Because I don't feel very well-equipped for the job I've been given. Y'know, the job I've been given as a singer or bein' able to write songs. So maybe that's why I have the faith I do, 'cause I'm always, I'm very dependent on the idea that I've been given a gift. You know, I believe God has given me a gift, therefore it's His responsibility to get me through it (laughs).
(from "Timothy White's Rock Stars", radio interview, June 01, 1987)

[Edge:] October was a struggle from beginning to end. It was an incredible hard record for us to make because we had major problems with time. And I had been through this thing of not really knowing if I should be in the band or not. It was really difficult to pull all the things together and still maintain the focus to actually finish a record in the time that we had. You could hear the desperation and confusion in some of the lyrics. "Gloria" is really a lyric about not being able to express what's going on, not being able to put it down, not knowing where we are. Having thrown ourselves into this thing we were trying to make some sense of it. "Why are we in this?" It was a very difficult time.
(from "The View From The Edge; Living In U2: From Boy to Achtung Baby" by Bill Flanagan, Musician, March 01, 1992)

[Translation of the Latin part, as posted by Latin teacher David Way on Wire in 1999:
"OK, the Latin in Gloria. The multiplicity in interpretation comes from the lack of punctuation. This is the Latin from the song:
Gloria in te Domine (this "Domine" is a vocative, NOT a Late Latin altered genitive/dative singular -- this will make sense to those who study Latin)
Gloria exsultate (or, exsulta te) (note: in Late Latin, the 's' is sometimes left out -- in either case, the verbs are imperatives -- again, this will makes sense to those who study Latin)
Option #1:
"Glory in you, Lord"
"Exult (i.e., 'rejoice') in (your) glory"
Option #2:
"Gloria, in you, God" (i.e. "in you, I find God")
"Gloria, rejoice"
I would like the 2nd version to be the one Bono intended (i.e., he would be engaging in a pun), but if it were, the grammar is god-awful; the first version is more correct and makes sense, so I'd put my money on it, if I were a wagering person. If the "love song" is to a girl, the 2nd choice is more likely correct; if it is to God, the first one is definitely correct (since this lyric does in fact come from a hymn). But, as I implied above, perhaps Bono intended both meanings -- we would need to ask him to know for sure."]

I fall down

YouTube - U2 - I Fall Down

Bono:] This is a song... A song called "I Fall Down"... A song about whatever... Situation you're in... Where trying seems it's not enough, but it is enough... This is "I Fall Down."
(live at Sun Plaza Hall, Tokyo, Japan, November 28, 1983; transcription by Michael Reiter)

I threw a brick through a window

YouTube - U2 - I Threw A Brick Through A Window

October's "I Threw A Brick Through A Window" is a kind of screed against the singer's inability to find meanings in his own life -- but a brick is never mentioned except in the song's title.
(from "U2" by Fred Schruers, Musician, May 01, 1983)

Rejoice

YouTube - U2 Rejoice Something Else BBC May 1982
Bono: In 'Rejoice' I said, 'I can't change the world, but I can change a world in me.' Music can possibly direct you and change you as a person. I think the ultimate revolution is the one that goes on in a man. I'm not saying, 'join the revolution, be like us'... where you go is your decision.
(from "U2 at the R.D.S.", U2 Magazine, No. 2, February 01, 1982)

Fire

YouTube - U2 - Fire (live from Werchter 1982)

He cried with a mighty voice, saying, "Fallen, fallen is Babylon the great, and she has become a habitation of demons, a prison of every unclean spirit, and a prison of every unclean and hateful bird!

[Revelations 18:2]

Three members of the band (Bono, Edge and Larry) were committed Christians aligned to a maverick local Charismatic movement known as Shalom. There was a perceived conflict between the demands of faith and rock and roll, and they were under pressure to decide where their allegiances lay. During the recording sessions, Edge and Bono left the band (Larry, on the other hand, left Shalom). Briefly, U2 ceased to exist (and the history of rock might have been changed forever) but the crisis precipitated a reaffirmation of their belief in music as a positive force.

[Neil McCormick February 2008]

Tomorrow

YouTube - U2 - Tomorrow - Live at Bourges 1983 (Audio)
Bono: "We were all affected by travelling and being away from home, which was a recurrent theme on October. Like 'Tomorrow' -- I never thought much about home until I was away from it.
(from "U2: Pluck of the Irish" by Jim Green, Trouser Press, March 01, 1982)

Bono: "Lots of people want us to be mouthpieces for different things," he admits soberly, "but I figure I can only be a mouthpiece for myself. It is saddening, though, the things that are going on in my country. Fifteen miles from where I walk the dog is craziness and murder being committed in the name of God -- in the name of lots of issues. It's bad -- very, very bad. It makes no sense to me. 'Tomorrow' was an attempt to look at that situation or a certain situation around that."
(from "U2 Leads; Others Will Follow… Breaking Down the Barriers" by John Neilson, Creem, April 01, 1982)

The song that now frightens him, Bono says, is "Tomorrow." He'd originally thought that the words, with their images of a black car waiting by the side of the road and a dreaded knock on the door, had to do with the killings in Northern Ireland. A few months ago, he realized the song was about his mother's death, which came when Bono was about thirteen. "I realized that exactly what I was talking about was the morning of her funeral, not wanting to go out to that waiting black car and be a part of it. People sometimes say October is a religious record, but I hate to be boxed in that way."
(from "U2" by Fred Schruers, Musician, May 01, 1983)

October

YouTube - U2 - October

[Bono:] October… it's an image. We've been through the '60s, a time when things were in full bloom. We had fridges and cars, we sent people to the Moon and everybody thought how great mankind was. And now, as we go through the 70s and 80s, it's a colder time of the year. It's after the harvest. You can see things and we finally realize that maybe we weren't so smart after all; now that there's millions of unemployed people, now that we've used the technology we've been blessed with to build bombs for war machines, to build rockets, whatever. So "October" is an ominous word, but it's also quite lyrical.
(from "Into The Heart" by Niall Stokes)

With a shout

YouTube - U2 With a shout (Jerusalem) Live in 1982

I think the lyrics would be sufficient to see what the song is about:

I wanna go
To the foot of the messiah
To the foot of he who made me see
To the side of a hill
Where we were still
We were filled
With our love

Stranger in a strange land

YouTube - U2 - Stranger in a Strange Land

[Bono:] We were going to Berlin, we were all in the back of a van in our sleeping bags and we had to travel through the corridor between East Germany and West Berlin. And we were stopped by this border guard. The song was just a little portrait of him. He was our own age, with short hair, in a uniform and his life was pretty grim and he was seeing these guys in a rock 'n' roll band passing through. I had a feeling that he realized how much we had in common, and yet it was all over so quickly.
(from "Into The Heart" by Niall Stokes)

Scarlet

YouTube - U2 SCARLET BBC SESSION / October Remaster 2008

Is that all

YouTube - U2 - Is That All

[Bono:] "The last song on October is 'Is That All?' -- 'I'll sing you a song to make you happy, but I'm not happy with you.' It's about wanting more out of pop music. I do want more."
(from "A Dreamboat Named Desire" by Richard Cook, New Musical Express, February 27, 1982)

Bono points to "Is That All?" on October as outlining his approach. "That's the point I'm trying to make -- is that all? I can sing you a song to make you happy, I can sing you a song to make you angry -- but is that all? I think music can be more than that, it can be more than the sum of its parts."
(from "Bono in San Antonio", U2 Magazine, No. 3, May 01, 1982)

J. Swallow

YouTube - U2 - J.SWALLOW - Fire Single - 1981

I love the mood of October, it remarkably flows quite brilliantly.....doesn't seem to pause, just rolls along at an exciting pace, Bono's never sounded more passionate vocally, and it's something that shines through on A Celebration too....really quite special....has a more personal or homely feel than Boy or War, and sits comfortably within the 'trilogy'.

Songs like Stranger in a strange land and Tomorrow are really awesome for me. I also agree that the live versions can be even better than the studio versions. Gloria on the album has this slightly cheesy ABBA backing vocals at the end but the live version is just great, especially the Dortmund concert version I posted above.

I Fall Down is one of my favorites. I wish they would do it this next tour.

That's a great song, not very popular on Interference I don't think, but I always really liked it, especially Edges lovely little piano melody and Bono's breezy vocal.

Next to October (the song) its my favourite thing on the album.

Great album , the remaster even made it greater.

I think the October remaster is the best remastered U2 album so far.
Now...I can almost just imagine what the UF remaster will sound like:drool:

Cheers ,

Mauwer

That's a great song, not very popular on Interference I don't think, but I always really liked it, especially Edges lovely little piano melody and Bono's breezy vocal.

Next to October (the song) its my favourite thing on the album.

Yes, I never have really been able to put my finger on why I like it so much, I just do, and your points are :up: I like the way the song/vocal sort of goes from breezy like you said, to a more rocking chorus.
Since they already brought back some real early stuff last tour I doubt I'll see it this time around but it would be a nice surprise.

Great album , the remaster even made it greater.

I think the October remaster is the best remastered U2 album so far.
Now...I can almost just imagine what the UF remaster will sound like:drool:

Cheers ,

Mauwer

October definitely my favorite remaster so far. It was a huge improvement, next to JT.

I Fall Down - one of the few songs Bono is on LEAD guitar, at least some of the live versions

which shows would these be bigjohn? :hmm:

i've got a show from 1981 berlin and also one live audio version where he plays the whole time while edge plays half guitar/half piano, and OMG, it's actually louder than edge! :ohmy:

switching between guitar and piano isnt what i call "lead guitar", so i guess bono plays lead since he's playing guitar the whole song.

im sure you can find the clip on youtube. - its the one where bono gets pissed because the audience didnt clap when he introduced his guitar tech.

Ok thanks I think I know which shows you mean :wave: I do remember hearing his guitar louder than usual on some of those shows.

yeah, from the recordings i have, it seems like the early october live shows have both bono and edge playing guitar with no piano and edge plays most of the guitar stuff. but later on they re-arrange it so edge does some guitar and piano and bono takes over most of the guitar stuff. pretty impressive really, shows he can actually play.

I am a true believer that Bono can play guitar in the Bono can play guitar better than many give him credit for argument :up:

damn straight :rockon:

he's not on edge's level of course, but he can def. hold his own. people say they cant hear his guitar, it's not plugged in, that's dallas playing, etc. BS, i challenge anyone to debate me on this issue. i can hear bono's guitar (depending on the quality of the recording of course) on pretty much every song he has a guitar and actually plays on.

the only exception is c'mon everybody from the farm aid performance. even i can't defend that one :lol:

It would be so beautiful, if the band rediscovered this album for the upcoming tour. I'd be so happy, if "Tomorrow", "I Fall Down" or please at least "October" (as the "pre" for NYD, if they like to play that one) would make it in the setlist. But on the other hand I really do believe, that this "diggin' in the 1980-1983 shelves" was part of the concept of the both last tours.
For 2009/2010 I dream at the moment of live and staple re-appearances of "A Sort Of Homecoming" and/or the eternal "The Unforgettable Fire" – that might fit more to the 'experimental' approach of NLOTH ...:wink:

It would be so beautiful, if the band rediscovered this album for the upcoming tour. I'd be so happy, if "Tomorrow", "I Fall Down" or please at least "October" (as the "pre" for NYD, if they like to play that one) would make it in the setlist. But on the other hand I really do believe, that this "diggin' in the 1980-1983 shelves" was part of the concept of the both last tours.
For 2009/2010 I dream at the moment of live and staple re-appearances of "A Sort Of Homecoming" and/or the eternal "The Unforgettable Fire" – that might fit more to the 'experimental' approach of NLOTH ...:wink:

There's no reason why they can't change up setlists once in a while. Stranger in a strange land would be great, but I think they may think it's dated since it has cold war politics involved.

...and I thought, my setlist requests would be obscure ...:lol::up:

To me the song is like Drowning Man. It just sounds awesome. They should try to play both on the next tour for a couple of shows to change things up a little. If they can play An Cat Dubh/Into the heart then why not? :D

So, I'd never really LOVED this album before. I was way bored this weekend, so I spent a lot of time listening to old stuff, especially old live stuff. Youtube is amazing. Wow, October is so much better live. I love the live versions of Rejoice, Drowing Man, and I Fall Down. :love:

It's amazing how exceptionally good U2 has always been live, even in their early years.

Back
Top Bottom