Has any band ever recovered after starting to suck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well santana, who i mentioned before, did come back to buck his own trend. in fact, he never was more popular in his life then with supernatural. because he got some younger (some old too) to play with him on the album. and then he had another modest hit after that. now it seems he has gone back to nostalga.. of course, if he plays a show now, is it nostalga for the late 60's/early 70's or nostalga for the late 90's/early '00s? that fact it can be asked even half kidding shows how much he changed his legacy with supernatural. will u2 ever have to have other artists on a studio album? to sell records? my idea of saints being on NLOTH? not so far fetched? not now but in the future. santana already was a hall of fame artist by 1999. he just hadn't sold records in years. he was , well old. relevant to only his old fans. that changed in a flash.
oh, yea i agree with the other idea. most bands , with some exceptions, don;t grow with the times. like crosby stills and nash. mabey they just can't. u2's new music dosn;t sound "old".

ATYCLB: "Sean and Julia, Gareth, Ann, and Reece"
The really annoying thing is that all of those songs also have some amazing moments. But I can't listen to them because of this drivel in the middle of the song.

Examples of the awesome parts of the aforementioned songs:

Peace on Earth:

"Jesus, do you have the time to throw the drowning man a line" - beautiful lyric.

Song would have been great without the "Sean and Julia, Gareth, Ann, and Reece"!!!

Drivel?

I'm sorry but I really have to question your entire attitude to U2 and their songs from this post. Firstly you quote a line and get one of the names wrong. It's Rita, not Reece. Goes to show how carefully you listened. Secondly you decide to piss over the memory of the people whos names Bono is reciting, some of the 30 odd people who lost their lives in Omagh in August 2008. The names which Bono was hearing being read over the radio forcing him to pull over and cry his eyes out on the side of the road. That's why those names are there, they are the bloody centrepiece and emotional core of the song for fucks sake... :doh:

Sorry, reading your post just made me angry. I know no harm or slight was intended but I personally knew two of those names, I was at college with one of them and another was my friend's younger brother. So its kind of an important song to me. It just goes to show though, it's very easy to dismiss something that you know nothing about. Try actually delving a little deeper and finding out the real story behind some of these lyrics that you see as being "drivel" before coming on and rubbishing the very things that some others might love.

I'm sorry to hear that MrBTH
it must be very hard for you to even listen to the song

besides that I fully agree with you
it's beyond me how people fail to connect at all with the emotional core of Peace on Earth
it's growing into 1 of my favourite songs ever

Drivel?

I'm sorry but I really have to question your entire attitude to U2 and their songs from this post. Firstly you quote a line and get one of the names wrong. It's Rita, not Reece. Goes to show how carefully you listened. Secondly you decide to piss over the memory of the people whos names Bono is reciting, some of the 30 odd people who lost their lives in Omagh in August 2008. The names which Bono was hearing being read over the radio forcing him to pull over and cry his eyes out on the side of the road. That's why those names are there, they are the bloody centrepiece and emotional core of the song for fucks sake... :doh:

Sorry, reading your post just made me angry. I know no harm or slight was intended but I personally knew two of those names, I was at college with one of them and another was my friend's younger brother. So its kind of an important song to me. It just goes to show though, it's very easy to dismiss something that you know nothing about. Try actually delving a little deeper and finding out the real story behind some of these lyrics that you see as being "drivel" before coming on and rubbishing the very things that some others might love.

Agreed, but just for the sake of me being annoying like this, it was actually 1998 rather than 2008.

I'm sorry to hear that you knew two of these shamelessly murdered victims. :hug:

And I really don't understand edgeztv's post either. Those names is what the WHOLE DAMN SONG was written for, so why the hell would you take it out? Show some fucking respect man. :| Or if you don't have a clue what a song is about google it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omagh_bombing
It's not that hard to find.

Another song inspired by the bombings was "Peace on Earth" by rock group U2.[62] It includes the line "They're reading names out over the radio. All the folks the rest of us won't get to know. Sean and Julia, Gareth, Ann, and Breda."[62] The five names mentioned are five of the victims from this attack.[62] Another line, "She never got to say goodbye, To see the colour in his eyes, now he's in the dirt", was about how James Barker, a victim, was remembered by his mother Donna Maria Barker in an article in the Irish Times after the bombing in Omagh.[62] The Edge has described the song as "the most bitter song U2 has ever written".[63] Also, U2 has recited the names of all 29 people killed during the bombing during public performances of their anti-violence anthem "Sunday Bloody Sunday".[64]

For a while there, in the '70s and '80s, Bob Dylan would go south for three albums in a row, then an instant masterpiece, then three more mediocre albums and another masterpiece. With the run of mediocre albums, he was consistently written off as a shell of his former self, but alas, the man has always managed to bounce back and make music that connects on many levels.

Agreed, but just for the sake of me being annoying like this, it was actually 1998 rather than 2008.

Yea sorry about the typos including Breda (not Rita)- Post written in the heat of the moment! I kinda want to edit it to tone it down a bit but it's too late.... ah well... I went to college with Julia Hughes in Dundee, Scotland and Gareth Conway was the younger brother of a friend from school. Really though, just about everyone from Tyrone was affected in some way by the bombing and it was a very emotional time. Listening to Peace on Earth still upsets me sometimes, but really it is a beautiful (if bitter) little song.

Thanks btw

B

But - and this is a huge one - the kind of lyrics that made me cringe on ATYCLB and HTDAAB - are still there on NLOTH:

Examples:
ATYCLB: "Sean and Julia, Gareth, Ann, and Reece"

The really annoying thing is that all of those songs also have some amazing moments. But I can't listen to them because of this drivel in the middle of the song.

Song would have been great without the "Sean and Julia, Gareth, Ann, and Reece"!!!

Hooray for Offensive Post of The Week.

:down:

:tsk:

I'm sorry to hear that you knew two of these shamelessly murdered victims. :hug:

And I really don't understand edgeztv's post either. Those names is what the WHOLE DAMN SONG was written for, so why the hell would you take it out? Show some fucking respect man. :| Or if you don't have a clue what a song is about google it.
Omagh bombing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It's not that hard to find.

After reading that i've actually began gaining much more respect for the song. How could anyone call those lyrics 'drivel'? That's just utterly disgraceful. :down:

Drivel?

It's not Reece or Rita, her name was Breeda.
And, Lady Ga Ga is shit.

After reading that i've actually began gaining much more respect for the song. How could anyone call those lyrics 'drivel'? That's just utterly disgraceful. :down:

That makes me glad to hear. I really do hope the guy who posted the drivel message returns here and reads it. I'd like to hear his response.

For a while there, in the '70s and '80s, Bob Dylan would go south for three albums in a row, then an instant masterpiece, then three more mediocre albums and another masterpiece. With the run of mediocre albums, he was consistently written off as a shell of his former self, but alas, the man has always managed to bounce back and make music that connects on many levels.

Good one.

I imagine Johnny Cash made some pretty mediocre albums somewhere in there before ending with Rick Rubin's projects.

On a personal level, I always admired The Beatles' bounce-back with Abbey Road after the failed Let It Be sessions. Let It Be isn't exactly sucky, but that was a concerted effort to get the end of their career "right."

And considering the near break up tensions on White Album and Let it be sessions.

For some reason it seems it's easier to come back if you're a solo artist. (Cash, Neil Young, Dylan...)

Looking for someone in roughly U2's age bracket and longevity, I'd say the strongest case is REM with Accelerate after Reveal and Around the sun (I think Up had mixed reviews too).

It's not Reece or Rita, her name was Breeda
Like i said, it was heat of the moment post so theres a few typos- though how ironic that in criticizing the guy for getting the name wrong I get it wrong too...:doh: Apologies... And RIP little Breda who was only 20 months old as well as all the others that Peace on Earth was written in honour of.

Anyway, sorry for subject derailment!

Personally I think Depeche Mode came back after two pretty poor albums - Ultra and Exciter - to deliver one of their best in the form of Playing the Angel. Ive just heard the latest, Sounds of The Universe and it seems to be keeping up the standard.

I cant really think of any other bands who have pulled off a similar trick...

I'm not sure if Abbey Road is so much of a bounce-back as it was a proper ending, they knew it was their last album so they wanted to finish on a high note.

Yeah, it doesn't exactly fit. I appreciate the fact that they made a solid effort not to make a "crap record" to conclude their career. And it worked. Would have been a shame let the Let It Be meltdown finish them off.

REM is a good one. I can't stand Around the Sun. Anything would have improved over that thing. Accelerate is pretty good - I hope they don't falter again.

Just thought of another one: Psychedelic Furs. Despite some pretty good singles, they turned pretty weak by the mid-80's after some great early records. Then they returned with Book of Days and World Outside, both obscure records, but definitely a return to form. Then they faded away again.

In answer to the question, I'd say it depends: if you mean returning to their peak, I'd say no; if you mean returning to be good again, I'd say yes.

Aerosmith sucked with "Done with Mirrors" and then had "Permanent Vaction" and "Pump". Yes sucked with "Tormato" and "Drama" and then had "90125." Metallica had "Saint Anger" and then had "Death Magnetic." Red Hot Chilli Peppers sucked with "One Hot Minute" and then had a come back with "Californication." Mariah Carey had an album that tanked and then she came back.

Why was the other thread moved to B&C and this one is still here?

The reason is because the initial post of this thread included plenty of U2 content. The other thread made no mention of U2. Therefore, since it was about other bands, it belongs in Just The Bang & The Clatter.

When this thread had been started, if there had not been U2 content in the original post, it would have been moved there as well.

A U2 peer of bygone days! Simple Minds;
First album Life In A Day [1979] is a fun 'influences on the sleeve' type affair.

BUT then from the second one Real to Real Cacophony [1979] until New Gold Dream [982] or even Sparkle In The Rain from 1984, I think it is hard to find such a run of excellent, adventurous and consistent albums released over the last 25years or so. Okay so the artistic rot sets in with Once Upon A Time [1985] and Real Life [1991] apart from the rather adventurous Street fighting Years [1989] in the middle... the former two have their moments but that is probably all, hindsight, age, time... has not been so good to them...

Then an up and down patchy decade of the usual; great songs mixed with filler plus a poor covers album. I think 2002's Cry album and the unreleased Our Secrets Are The Same showed the magic was still there as far as songwriting, though recent album Black & White 050505 was a mix of hit and miss, but mostly decent, perhaps it was them trying too hard to SOUND like Simple Minds!

So Le Minds definitely "came back" a bit from the land of suck, most certainly as songwriters though the commercial side of things took a hit. New one Graffiti Soul is released May 26th is obviously an unknown quantity apart from the single Rockets which is okay a bit bland, at least I think.

I hope the remaining new songs from '09 are worth the wait. Sincerely. :hmm:

The reason is because the initial post of this thread included plenty of U2 content. The other thread made no mention of U2. Therefore, since it was about other bands, it belongs in Just The Bang & The Clatter.

When this thread had been started, if there had not been U2 content in the original post, it would have been moved there as well.

Got it.

:reject:

That's what I get for second guessing Sicy!

Yueah.

I became a fan after 2000's as well, but after being a fan now for a couple of years i can say that i now also can see that they went downhill. It looks like when they became famous they realized that the fans would buy any album anyway, and after another album they realized people will go to concerts and the die hard fans will like anything they do anyway, and Bono happily punches in the numbers on the ATM machine.

But their albums are not terrible. Not as good in the 80's doesn't mean the same as being terrible. Really, did you look at some other music released today? There are a few good underground bands, but U2 belongs to the few major bands(like audioslave, depeche mode, arcade fire) today that still makes meaningful music and doesn't suffer from the rolling stone sydnrome.

I mean, U2 still takes risks and now has done it again, the album is not terrible. Personally i think this also will have a quite big influence on the music industry, and if a band can have so much influence, they are still relevant.

I also know that they probably will never make an album that beats TJT or AB. But i have still hope. I really do want them to make an album that beats TJT or AB, because i do want to like U2, but if they going to keep on this way, they will suffer from that rolling stone syndrome, and then i am not sure if i can like U2 anymore. Go back to the 80's. And i don't mean musically, but to the energy, the passion, the edgy, the emotion and most of all, the moments when U2 really wanted to make music, and didn't care about anything or anyone. Sure, U2 is older now, but they shouldn't let the record labels limit them, and i believe that they really can do a lot better than the last 3 albums, with no offence to those albums, it is just that they can do better in my opinion.

Santana really beats all these people out . at least in terms of sales anyway. that album sold over 10 million copys, and now thinking about it may be on one the last big sellers before the internet took down the recording industry?

Yes. 1 -- Elvis Presley: He was a genius of singles in 1954 to 1961 or so, then completely sucked from 1962 to 1967/68. After "Guitar Man", "If I Can Dream", and the '68 Comeback Special, he returned from the dregs to make From Elvis in Memphis (1969), arguably the greatest and most critically-acclaimed album of his career. The ones that followed until about 1972 were also great.

Disagree about Elvis from 1962-67. I'd argue that "Do the Clam" is the Ramones before they ever existed. It's so unpretentious and rock 'n' roll, it's almost ridiculous.

Santana really beats all these people out . at least in terms of sales anyway. that album sold over 10 million copys, and now thinking about it may be on one the last big sellers before the internet took down the recording industry?

Except that that album was lame... about as interesting as Frank Sinatra's Duets. Go back and listen to Caravanserai and then tell me Santana was relevant on that duets thingy.

Back
Top Bottom