Finally figured out what U2 has lost...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
even as an american i'm inclined to agree with you, beg. i don't know how one could rank any tragedies as to what was the worst or anything (or why you'd want to). 9/11 was no picnic, but i wouldn't call it the darkest day, not even in us history.

i was speaking from a American viewpoint. i did not compare it to other countrys events. So to the non Americans on here its non of your business what i call the darkest day in us history. Don;t even try to say i insulted other country's history's. To the people that are from the us, unless you can get some people still alive from the civil war to post on this message board 9/11 is pretty bad. Its not like i said the day Seinfeld went off the air was the worst day ever. geez. If someone told me i can get all 4 beatles back together i say yes to that regardless of the reason. But of course that can't happen. hey you know what? its a personal preference.

Oh OK this whole "U2 spoke for the world on the darkest day in history" is total bollocks, frankly. So 9/11 is the darkest day in history huh? So what about the thousands that died in Northern Ireland, Ireland and the UK during the Troubles? Or the tens of thousands who died in the former Yugoslavia. Or the thousands who died and are still dying in Chechnya? Or for the hell of it, how about the 50 million who died in WW2???

Oh I'm sorry, they weren't American were they? I realise this is EYKIW and not FYM, but really this sort of "ranking" thing totally riles me.....

Americans did die during World War Two.....

I think the poster was trying to say that U2 spoke for Americans who attended their concerts, post 9/11.

yea i was. I did say darkest day in us history. I did make not light of any non American tragedy. Also I was not around for these other events so 9/11 is gonna be fresher in mind then the other events. blue eyed girl, i am not gonna to curse you out because thats what you expect me to do , as the "typical American response". Fine, u2 spoke for "my world" as in whats was gonna on in my head. perhaps thats more appropriate. Whatever you don;t like about the us i most likely agree with it. Thats whats ironic.

It is not surprising because NLOTH is uhh.. much better? The songs don't suck this time like they did on Bomb? Pretty simple answer there.

NLOTH, mostly, sounds closer to the 90's U2 than it's immediate two predecessors.

i think some of you are missing the point that the USA is really the only country that matters. :up:

i think some of you are missing the point that the USA is really the only country that matters. :up:

I didn't know you were friends with Paul McGuinness!

Now that you're in a good mood and you've had plenty of time to think, I suppose you can name a Beatles song that is more powerful than Streets? I'd be really interested to know... :)

So, if "powerful" is our criterion, we'd have to conclude that Megadeth and Iron Maiden are better than U2.

If you can define what you mean by "powerful", I can give you lots of Beatle moments that rival U2's. But then again, who cares? One likes what one likes.

yea i was. I did say darkest day in us history. I did make not light of any non American tragedy. Also I was not around for these other events so 9/11 is gonna be fresher in mind then the other events. blue eyed girl, i am not gonna to curse you out because thats what you expect me to do , as the "typical American response". Fine, u2 spoke for "my world" as in whats was gonna on in my head. perhaps thats more appropriate. Whatever you don;t like about the us i most likely agree with it. Thats whats ironic.

I suspect it's fresher than any other event in anyone's mind, cos it was televised and the others weren't (and I suspect the other events were not covered extensively on US television). Otherwise, it's all good mate. :up:

NLOTH, mostly, sounds closer to the 90's U2 than it's immediate two predecessors.

I think so too.

Like all of U2's albums. They always, at least to me sound better live. And I think Bono has a certain theme to song writing. He is able to capture the "feel" of events. Not to just simply relay them. Sunday Bloody Sunday is one of those songs. Yes, it is political. But, Bono actually makes me understand how bad things were.

I didn't know you were friends with Paul McGuinness!

So, if "powerful" is our criterion, we'd have to conclude that Megadeth and Iron Maiden are better than U2.

If you can define what you mean by "powerful", I can give you lots of Beatle moments that rival U2's. But then again, who cares? One likes what one likes.

oh please, don't play dumb...we're talking about "powerful" with regards to lifting spirits...of course, whatever does that for you might not do it for someone else...it's a pretty subjective thing..and it's not about any band being "better" than U2 necessarily.

I'm just curious what song of the Beatles do you think would lift the American spirit (i.e. post 911) moreso than say, MLK---> Streets? Personally, I really don't think any song of the Beatles comes close. :shrug:

Another way to describe it is that I don't feel like any of the new songs quench a soul thirst, except maybe Fez! I think through all the songs of the new album, and while I find them interesting, creatively quite nice... none of them really reach DEEP into the heart/soul...

So in other words what U2 has lost is... you!

"except the Beatles" ???

...to play a show and lift your spirits on the darkest day in US history...the fucking Beatles over U2?

Name one Beatles song more powerful than Streets...

Thank you.

I don't think U2 being megastars has anything to do with their "voice". U2 have been megastars since 1987, and one could argue haven't been as big since then.

The new album doesn't speak to me much personally. But then again, few songs get to me now as Sometimes does and that is only five years old; so I don't think U2 has lost it.

As to them being relevent or not... Define relevant and then tell me if rock and roll as they play it is still relevant.

My opinion is U2 took a big misstep with NLOTh and 360. Very similar in so many ways to Pop and Popmart. But its no reason to sound the alarms or to give up. I hope they never turn an album over so completely to Eno and Lanois again. I like them as producers, but this U2+2 didn't really work as intended, I don't think.

That's not even to say I dislike NLOTH. I do like it quite a bit. But it's not different enough to be truly different and it lacks that big single that sets the world on fire to be a more traditional album.

It does sound closer to 90's U2 especially Cedars, Fez, MOS etc. But it probably has more to do with the fact that Eno and Lanois produced it and it's not a colossal fucking mess like Bomb was.

Besides, even if they consciously tried to sound like the 90's again, so what? As long as it is not Achtung Part 2 or Pop Part 2 (which NLOTH is not!), it is the songs that matter in the end. And the songs have bloody delivered this time! at least the first 3 and last 4 on the album. :up:

Now that you're in a good mood and you've had plenty of time to think, I suppose you can name a Beatles song that is more powerful than Streets? I'd be really interested to know... :)

I can think of one.

With A Little Help From My Friends (this song lifts my spirits more than streets)

Then again, I can't think of a Beatles song that would pump me up more than Mysterious Ways.

Forget the Beatles, it's the Stones we should be talking about.

With A Little Help From My Friends is yet another silly pop song from The Beatles, and nothing else.

Don't even get me started on The Stones, although I'd argue that Sympathy for the Devil is far superior to anything The Beatles ever made.

The song Let It Be has moved me tremendously, from the time I was a little kid. I'm not sure if it moves me more than One or Bad, but it comes close.

The original version of Helter Skelter blows U2's out of the water (even though the U2 version is pretty good in its own way), but that's more of a "rockin' the house down" thing than a "moving the soul" thing.

I find "Please" and "Lemon" very moving, hence they comfortably sit in my top five U2 songs of all time. Both have great vocal performances and emotionally touching lyrics. U2 haven't lost that yet, Unknown Caller is a very good indication of that.

I find "Please" and "Lemon" very moving, hence they comfortably sit in my top five U2 songs of all time. Both have great vocal performances and emotionally touching lyrics. U2 haven't lost that yet, Unknown Caller is a very good indication of that.

I repeat this post word-for-word.

Back
Top Bottom