Favorite "Obscure Songs" off each album:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cobl04 said:
Shadows and Tall Trees and A Stranger in a Strange Land.

goddamn i've been the only huge fan of these songs for ages.

I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan, but I find nothing wrong at all with either of the songs, both are special and unique songs in the catalogue that I value.

The obscurest song from each album, that I have a unique and immense appreciation of (in consideration of the more popular consensus) is the way that I approached this:

Boy - The Ocean
October - Is That All?
War - Drowning Man
TUF - Promenade ( although my love for the title track might seem to be substantially more compared with others)
TJT - In God's Country
R&H - ugh, Heartland probably?
AB - Zoo Station
ZOO - The First Time
PoP - Do You Feel Loved (Miami/Discotheque, I have a unique appreciation of these tracks too)
ATYCLB - New York
HTDAAB - A Man and A Woman
NLOTH - Cedars of Lebanon

Other songs: Touch, Another Day, Endless Deep, Love Comes Tumbling, Where Did It All Go Wrong?, Disappearing Act, Yoshi Blossom ..... SIXTY SECONDS IN KiNGDOM COME :D

Well, I guess it's hard to define "obscure" in an objective way besides saying "non-single".

Out of Control (this is what I mean; not a single release, but definitely not obscure to U2 fans)

Tomorrow

Drowning Man

Elvis Presley & America (also Promenade. I love that one)

Mothers of the Disappeared

Zoo Station

The Wanderer

Wake Up Dead Man

When I Look At The World

One Step Closer

Cedars of Lebanon

BOY: Into The Heart
OCTOBER: October,
WAR: 40
UNFORGETTABLE FIRE: A Sort Of Homecoming
JT: Mothers of the Disappeared
R&H: ISHFWILF (I prefer this version to the original)
AB: So Cruel, Ultraviolet Light, Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World
ZOOROPA: Zooropa
POP: Do You Feel Loved, If You Wear That Velvet Dress
ATYCLB: In A Little While, The Ground Beneath Her Feet
HTDAAB: Miracle Drug, OOTS (it wasn't released as a single over here), Fast Cars, Yahweh
NLOTH: title track

Boy - Another Time, Another Place
October - Tomorrow
War - Drowning Man
TUF - Promenade
JT - Mothers of the Disappeared (one of the best album closers by anyone ever, not just U2)
R&H - Heartland
AB - Ultraviolet
Zooropa - Zooropa
Pop - If You Wear That Velvet Dress
ATYCLB - In a Little While (my favorite song on the album)
HTDAAB - Love and Peace Or Else
NLOTH - Moment of Surrender

What are we defining as obscure? Some albums like NLOTH it'd be hard to choose because there's certainly a number of worthy tracks that weren't singles, but are by no means unheralded by fan standards (like Unknown Caller, the title track or Moment of Surrender), unh, I'll just go with most unheralded by fans on some & general public on others.

A Day Without Me
Tomorrow
Seconds
A Sort of Homecoming
Heartland
So Cruel (Acrobat is probably my favorite U2 song, but the love it gets from fans kind of dq's it for me)
The First Time
Playboy Mansion
When I Look at the World
A Man & a Woman / Crumbs From Your Table
White as Snow / Cedars of Lebanon

Great topic. These are my favorites on each album excluding singles and title tracks.

Rejoice.
Seconds, Like a Song, Surrender.
Promenade, A sort of Homecoming :heart:
In God's Country.
Ultraviolet, Acrobat.
Playboy Mansion (My all-time underrated song.)
New York/ Grace :heart:
One Step Closer
White as Snow

Boy: Twilight
October: Tomorrow
War: Like A Song
TUF: Indian Summer Sky
TJT: Exit
R&H: Heartland
AB: Acrobat
Zooropa: Babyface
Pop: Do You Feel Loved
ATYCLB: When I Look at the World
HTDAAB: Crumbs from Your Table
NLOTH: Fez-Being Born

Boy - The Ocean or An Cat Dubh
October - October
War - The Refugee
UF - Indian Summer Sky or Wire
JT - Exit
Rattle and Hum - God Part II
Achtung Baby - TTTYAATW (That acronym, though...)
Zooropa - Some Days Are Better Than Others
Pop - Do You Feel Loved
ATYCLB - New York
HTDAAB - Love and Peace Or Else
NLOTH - Fez - Being Born

Well, I guess it's hard to define "obscure" in an objective way besides saying "non-single".

Out of Control (this is what I mean; not a single release, but definitely not obscure to U2 fans)

Tomorrow

Drowning Man

Elvis Presley & America (also Promenade. I love that one)

Zoo Station

The Wanderer

Wake Up Dead Man

When I Look At The World

One Step Closer

Cedars of Lebanon

You pretty much made my list for me. Though instead of Zoo Station (though I love it very much) I would pick Ultraviolet. Instead of Cedars of Lebanon, I would pick Fez - Being Born (not actually sure if that's obscure ... I haven't really been present in the U2 world for some time.)

This is an old thread, but I'm gonna post this anyway.

Boy: Another Time Another Place - Probably one of the better songs from Boy, yet it seems to be one of the least known. I've always found it catchy.
October: Tomorrow - Such a great song. October is pretty underrated, and so is this song. One of the better early U2 songs.
War: The Refugee - This song is one of the least talked about from War, and it seems to be the most disliked for whatever reason. I always thought it was kickass.
The Unforgettable Fire: Bad - This may seem like an odd choice, but among non-U2 fans, this song isn't really known (compared to WoWY, ISHFWILF, One, etc). This one of the songs that shows how incredible Bono can sing and I'm surprised it isn't one of their most well-known songs.
The Joshua Tree: Red Hill Mining Town - I almost picked Mothers of the Disappeared, but I decided to go with this for a couple of reasons. Before the Joshua Tree 2017 tour happens, this song has never been performed live. It was supposed to be the first single originally, and ended up not as one at all due to various reasons such as it being hard on Bono's voice and the music video that was shot not being good. It seems to be very well-liked by U2 fans, but like Bad, this should be on their premier songs that everyone knows, and it is not.
Rattle and Hum: Heartland - Possibly my favorite song from Rattle and Hum. I listened to U2 throughout my childhood and I didn't know it existed until I rediscovered them. Very underrated.
Achtung Baby: Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World/Ultra Violet (Light My Way) - Achtung Baby is full of great songs, and for some reason this one always seem to be forgotten. I would actually rank it in my top three from the album. I love listening to it. EDIT: I have added Ultra Violet as well due to my intense love for that song. This is another that should be considered a U2 classic, but doesn't seem to be known by anyone who isn't a U2 fan.
Zooropa: Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car and Stay (Faraway, So Close!) - I tried desperately to only choose one song for each album, but I just couldn't here. Daddy is unknown by casual U2 fans and a decent amount of hardcore U2 fans don't care for it. This one of the songs that reignited my interest in U2 after I rediscovered them. It's just awesome sounding. Now, Stay is well-liked by Bono himself and a lot of U2 fans, but it is not nearly as popular as it should be. It's another one of those songs that really show off his voice, and it's one of most "normal" songs from Zooropa. It should have been a hit.
Pop: The Playboy Mansion - Not my favorite from the album, but a very good and underrated song. This whole album is underrated, but this is the one song that seems to be forgotten by everyone. I don't believe it was ever performed live either. (I think the band couldn't perform it to their liking or something like that).
All That You Can't Leave Behind: New York - I had a hard time deciding between When I Look At The World or this. Both are great. I've always really liked the guitar that loudly kicks in during this song. I also love the atmosphere. It deserves more attention.
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb: Love and Peace or Else - Such an awesome song. Vertigo is good, but this is much better. This should have been the lead single if you ask me. This album gets too much hate, and this is one of the quality songs I point to when I hear people talk shit about it.
No Line on the Horizon: Get on Your Boots - One of the most hated U2 songs, and why? Is it incredible? No, but it is a cool song. Some people don't care for it, and that is fine, but some people HATE it and I have no idea why. I have always liked it.
Songs of Innocence: This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now - It seems to be the least known song from the album, which I find odd. I didn't like this album originally, but this was one of the first songs on the album to grow on me. It's still one of my favorites from the album (which as a whole I know like a lot).

So that's my list. There are MANY more songs which I believe are underrated, but that is my attempt at doing about one for each album.

EDIT: Holy crap I wrote a lot! I'm gonna put each song in bold to help those who don't want to read all of that...

I understand you're upset you just lost to New Zealand but you realise you could have put all that in one post.

:D:D:D

Are you from NZ ? A cricket fan ? I am not upset because we lost to a better team. In the end, TEST cricket is not a T-20 or ONE-DAY cricket. You have to keep focus for whole 5 days. One bad session and you are in trouble.

Back
Top Bottom