did One Republic rip off U2's lyric

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saad

The Fly
I'm not a big fan of One Republic but do like a few songs from them. Today i was listening to stop and stare on my ipod and noticed that the album name was Dreaming Out Loud. So i pulled out my phone and searched the band on wikipedia and surely enough one of their biggest influences is U2. I'm sure most of you know that the lyric "dream out loud" has appeared in quite a few U2 songs over the years (Acrobat, Zooropa, Always). I thought i would share this little discovery and see what y'all think about it. Is it purely coincidence or did they borrow my fav U2 lyric for their album name? hmmmmm

it would have been forgivable if they had mentioned that the album name was borrowed from U2's reoccurring lyric. but i haven't found any evidence of them stating that anywhere. its not cool taking the phrase and claiming it as your own especially since its obvious that they got it from U2 :angry:

it would have been forgivable if they had mentioned that the album name was borrowed from U2's reoccurring lyric. but i haven't found any evidence of them stating that anywhere. its not cool taking the phrase and claiming it as your own especially since its obvious that they got it from U2 :angry:

agreed. i'm disgusted.

i'm going to start an online petition to make sure they rename the album :mad:

Whenever I hear Stop and Stare I think of U2, this song reminds me so much of their music.

As for Dream out Loud, I think it's a strange coincidence indeed. It's a phrase commonly related to Bono/U2, and I hate to see it used by someone else, even as a title, and U2 not being given any credit.

Guys, never mind the crime against humanity committed by One Republic -- I have shocking news: I have discovered more than one song which uses the word "yesterday" in the lyrics. Clearly, Paul McCartney deserved more money for people copying him!!

Not only that, but U2's first album was called Boy, and The Beatles had a song called "This Boy". Let's be honest and admit that U2 ripped them off!!

Guys, never mind the crime against humanity committed by One Republic -- I have shocking news: I have discovered more than one song which uses the word "yesterday" in the lyrics. Clearly, Paul McCartney deserved more money for people copying him!!

Not only that, but U2's first album was called Boy, and The Beatles had a song called "This Boy". Let's be honest and admit that U2 ripped them off!!

do you think u2 were referencing the beatles when they wrote tomorrow?

I can't help but to think that Bono is to blame for all of this, where does he get off writing "Dream Out Loud" knowing (don't forget Bono is omniscient) that a crap band would later on use this phrase.

Little Irish Bast:censored:rd, I don't think I could trust him as far as I can throw him (these days not too far with his expanding girth and my tweaked back).

:mad:

yeah i guess as time goes by u2 will be copied more and more. it sounds silly but i for one am very possessive about all things that is u2. especially when they are copied by crap bands that do no justice to their original work .... please refer to exhibit a below

YouTube - The Dandy Warhols "We Used to be Friends".

remind you of a certain remix of a certain song from zooropa that is now butchered?? apparently its the theme song to veronica mars. i weep for the future

^ What song does "We Used To Be Friends" remind you of?

Fucking kickass theme song to a kickass show, by the way.

yeah i guess as time goes by u2 will be copied more and more. it sounds silly but i for one am very possessive about all things that is u2. especially when they are copied by crap bands that do no justice to their original work .... please refer to exhibit a below

YouTube - The Dandy Warhols "We Used to be Friends".

remind you of a certain remix of a certain song from zooropa that is now butchered?? apparently its the theme song to veronica mars. i weep for the future

Is it a little like Dirty Day?

Whenever I hear Stop and Stare I think of U2, this song reminds me so much of their music.

And the filmclip reminds me of All I Want is You.

At the end of the clip the first time I watched it, I looked at my wife and jokingly said "who died" and she goes "yeah...it's like the midget on the trapeze all over again?"

It even has a Joshua Tree in it.

borrowing little lines like that (if they did get it from U2, which is quite possible but not for sure) is no big deal. if you really are intent on getting upset over people copying U2, listen to Linkin Park's "Shadow of the Day" for epic lulz.

also, We Used to be Friends never made me think of U2 before...I can see it sounding like the Dirty Day Junk Mix now that you bring it up, but I seriously doubt that was intentional.

For the sarcastically impared, any inkling of this being a rip-off is a complete joke. If you honestly think this is in any way ripped-off and/or that they should give U2 credit ... well, I won't say you're an idiot, but that's ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom