Bono's greatest studio vocal performances

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
I thought it would be interesting to discuss our opinions on what Bono's greatest studio vocal performances are. I'll get things started with my top ten, though it's subject to change.

10. TIE: Bad/I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

I couldn't decide. The studio recording of Bad is often overshadowed by the live performances, but the vocal take, even though there are some cracks in it, and even though it's not perfect, is pretty great, and marks significant growth for Bono as a vocalist(as does much of the album, including the title track which is mentioned later in this list). You can almost hear him coming into his own here, moving from being the young vocalist of the first three albums towards being the arguably-legendary vocalist of U2's prime years from the late 80s to the mid-90s.

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For was one of the first songs, early in my fandom, when I realized that Bono was the real deal as a vocalist. There is a strength and a warmth in this vocal that has always drawn me to it. I can imagine that it wouldn't be that easy to adequately express vocally the urgency of the lyric, but Bono pulls it off. I've always loved this vocal.

9. Red Hill Mining Town

This song is perhaps one of the most difficult in all of U2's catalog to sing, with its large range; difficult enough that U2 went back on releasing it as a single because supposedly it was decided that Bono couldn't sing it night after night, and to this day it's never been performed live. But he did manage to sing the hell out of it for the record, and it's one of his greatest and most powerful vocals ever imo.

8. Stay(Faraway, So Close)

The thing that stands out about the vocal in this song for me is that there is an effortlessness to it; whereas the Bono of, say, 1987, may have strained or overdone it at parts, the Bono of 1993 just breezes through it. It's just one of the smoothest, prettiest vocals he's ever laid down, and it really does a great job of communicating the vulnerability and longing in the lyric.

7. The Unforgettable Fire

At the time, it was probably one of the most difficult songs, if not the most difficult song, Bono had had to record up to that point. There certainly wasn't anything like it on the first three records. He met the challenge, and the result was a vocal that fit perfectly with the ethereal soundscape of the song without overpowering it. There is a depth in this vocal(and the whole album really) that perhaps we hadn't heard much of on the previous albums. It's the sound of a vocalist not quite in his prime yet, but quick approaching it. I appreciate this vocal even more when I think that the reason the 360 versions of the song were abbreviated was possibly because Bono couldn't hit all the high notes in the second half of it anymore.

6. So Cruel

I know this isn't the most popular song here on the blue crack, but I've always loved it. The lyric is one of Bono's most poetic but also one of his most wordy, and too many words can sometimes doom a vocal, but I think Bono just delivers the words perfectly here, with poise and control, and a melody that could've sounded clunky in the voice of lesser vocalist ends up sounding natural, organic, and beautiful.

5. Zooropa

The vocal in the second part of this song just kicks ass. It's one of the sharpest, clearest, most heart-pounding vocals he's ever recorded, imo. One of the most 'rock' sounding, too. 'LET'S go to the OVERground, get yer HEAD out of the mud BAY-BAY'.

4. Your Blue Room

I'm sure some will disagree with this placement, but I think this is one of the most seductive performances of Bono's career. The sort of Lou Reed-ish vocals in the verses and the falsetto in the choruses compliment each other perfectly. A haunting, understated turn for Bono.

3. All I Want Is You

This is one of the biggest 'they never topped the studio version' songs of U2's career, imo. This is partly due to the atmospherics and the strings, and partly due to Bono's pretty much perfect vocal. He shows great control here; the vocal is impassioned, fiery, without being over-the-top, until he lets loose at the perfect time with the 'all I want is yoooo-oou' refrains at the end. One of those songs you might play for someone who's only heard recent Bono and wants to know what the big deal is about him as a vocalist.

2. With Or Without You

This is obviously one of the biggest hits the band has ever had in their almost forty year career, and without taking anything away from Edge's iconic chime-y guitar or Adam and Larry's rhythm section, Bono's captivating vocal has to be a big reason why. He makes use of that lower register(that we don't hear much of anymore) in the verses, letting a little more fire out after each verse until soaring into the first 'give yourself away' refrain, then coming back down for another verse, going back up for the second 'give yourself away' refrain, and then exploding at the song's climax before finishing with the naked oooh-oooh-oooh-oooh-oooh's before Edge goes into the outro. It's just a brilliant take, and rightly one of his signature vocals.

1. Love Is Blindness

This might seem like an odd choice to some, but for me, Bono's absolutely at the top of his game here. There is such rage, heartbreak, anguish, anger, despair, and sorrow here, and Bono manages to convey all of this while barely raising his voice. Here, he uses something he's not really known for: subtlety. That 'love is clockworks/and cold steel/fingers/too numb to feel/squeeze the handle/blow out the candle/love is blindness' verse gets me every time, especially that little vibrato in 'fingers' and 'candle'. This may not have the range of Red Hill Mining Town or The Unforgettable Fire, or the overt emotion of All I Want Is You or With Or Without You, but for me this is just one of the most devastating vocals of his career, and perhaps his finest hour.

Ok, your turn...

Great list!

I will definitely write a proper list of my own later today, but I can safely say that Pride will be pretty high on the list.

Excellent choice for no.1. And it's especially great to see Your Blue Room there.

I'll have to think of an exact list, but I think the entire top 10 will be from Rattle & Hum
Though he sounds very good again on Invisible

Nice list. I'd like to find a place for Hawkmoon 269 but it's a tough choice.

But more importantly, you have nothing prior to UF and that needs correcting. I'd go for Like A Song. You can hear he must have bled whilst singing that in the studio.

Mine are as follows -

10: Drowning man-One Tree Hill = couldn't make my mind up for the 10th spot so went for 2.

9: The Unforgettable Fire

8: Where The Streets Have No Name

7: All I Want Is You

6: Unchained Melody

5: So Cruel

4 : Stay

3 : Red Hill Mining Town

2: Night And Day

1 : Pride

Like wow, really? I dunno what business U2 had in covering that song. It's a terrible cover. All bloated and ridiculous. Such an OTT vocal delivery. To each their own I guess!

Great choice.

Re; Unchained Melody, I was 15 and broken hearted when I heard that for the first time, sounded pretty great to me, loved it ever since :)

The studio vocal of One is right at the top for me. It's so expressive and vulnerable, not at all oversung, and much more nuanced than any live version I've heard. It's a real blood on the floor performance, in the best way. I've often wondered how many different takes it's made of.

I'm not sure about his best ''record'' vocal, he's had so many. Lemon was always a great one.

In terms of recorded 'live,' I think it is With or Without You from Rattle and Hum.

In no particular order:

Lemon
All I Want Is You
Running to Stand Still (how has this not been mentioned yet?)
Stay
One
The Unforgettable Fire
Your Blue Room
Tomorrow
Hawkmoon 269
Red Hill Mining Town

Live: ZooTV Ultraviolet

Going chronologically, and there's no no.1

Pride (nothing against his early vocals but UF really saw him emerge as a very good singer,)
Still haven't found.../WOWY (both are superb vocal takes, a singer at the top of his game)
Angel of Harlem (I like how we manages to soar along to the music)
One (a great indication of his 90's voice...)
Who's gonna ride your wild horses (...and a little closer to his 80's vocals)
Hold me thrill me kiss me kill me (a cross between Zooropa and Pop voice)
Kite (during his voice lowpoints between 1997-2002, he still managed this)
MOS (the vocal really sells the song)

honourable mention Where the streets have no name

Where Street Have No Name
The Unforgettable Fire
Angel of Harlem
Night and Day
Pride
With Or Without You
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
All I Want Is You
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Stay
Love Come Tumbling - quite understated, but fantastic

Although not a U2 song, In A Lifetime was incredible. I read he did that in one take and for me, that last verse he sings toward the end of the song is incredible, it showcases his full range and sheer power, but also with great emotion and integrity. I miss that, he was a supreme vocalist, one of the best.

1. Stay: Bono in his brief prime using all of his physical tools and intelligence for one of the greatest performances ever recorded. The delivery is nuanced and the characters in the song and the setting are brought to life in a way rarely done in modern rock. The melody is beautiful, but he doesn't blindly adhere to it, singing every line the same way. From Lou Reed style speak singing to prime Bowie soaring, Bono kills it.

2. Bad: The purity and size of his voice is amazing. Sure, he wobbles a bit, but any normal human being would have died. With lungs like that he could have been a pro cyclist (after losing a bit of fat, of course). His voice was so clear then, but of course it couldn't last, given what he was doing to it every night.

3. Your Blue Room: The character and richness of his lower register is beautiful. His delivery of the lyric is perfect. Like Stay it is very nuance, but he never soars. He stays in the shadows, watching the neon lights, maintaining the mystery and the mood. The control he displays is remarkable.

4. Hawkmoon 269: In 1988 Bono was one of the greatest rock n roll howlers of all time. This is his him at his righteous rock raging best. But he wasn't just howling! His voice was really dexterous; it was low and dark, it could soar with a bright melody, and most importantly it maintained its strength and stayed in key.

5. So Cruel: Maybe it's me, but this is one of his most deeply felt performances. You can feel his desperation growing, the lust, the conflict, the helplessness and despair in the face of certain destruction. Plus it has his best, most pure falsetto.

6. Always Forever Now: His voice had shed 10 years but he had the self control to turn a three word mantra into a manifesto. Ecstatic, intense, and relaxed. Incredible how he does so much with three little words.

7. Wake Up Dead Man: Not technically grand, and from the album where we had to get used to a diminished Bono, the vocal is great because of the emotion. Without resorting to histrionics, he perfectly conveys the sadness, doubt, and quiet rage of a crisis of faith.

8. Desire: A killer rock n roll vocal. He attacks the song and kills it with perfection.

9. Red Hill Mining Town: He does more with his voice than he should be able to. The development from the joyous lack of restraint of the Unforgettable Fire to the controlled use of his full range that we hear in this song is amazing.

10. A Sort Of A Homecoming: What was he thinking? Were the band and studio crew laughing their asses off at him? Why was he yowling like that? Probably because it was fun! He wasn't yet a singer, but the strength of his voice is astounding. When he draws out the "run" and twists it into a word never before said I believe the he is running over the borderland, running so fast he takes to the air.

1 - Pride

2 - Red Hill Mining Town

3 - One

4 - I Still Havent Found...

5 - God Part ll

6 - A Sort Of Homecoming

7 - Van Diemen's Land

8 - Desire

9 - Bad

10 - Silver And Gold

No particular order:

Tomorrow
Drowning Man
Pride (in the name of love)
Bad
With or without you
Red Hill Mining Town
Heartland
Night and day
One
So Cruel
Stay [Faraway so close!]
In the name of the father
Two shots of happy, one shot of sad
Gone
Never let me go
Kite
Sometimes you can't make it on your own
Moment of Surrender

he was like a man possessed on the wanderer . His vocals for the entire song miracle drug. Seconds was good. The version of love is blindness on sky down. SBS on popmart. What can't bono do?

Some of my favourites. Great thread too.

Tomorrow - The first vocal track on which, I think, Bono really reaches his limits, singing with incredible passion about personal tragedy and the spiritual battles the band were having at the time.

Is That All - People constantly shit on this track. I've been defending it for years now. I think it provides an incredibly rare insight into what happens when things go wrong. The song is borne out of pure frustration, and you can hear it in Bono's vocals.

Sunday Bloody Sunday & New Year's Day - The band's biggest tracks to date and Bono really steps it up. Sunday Bloody Sunday has got that perfect mix of anger and yearning while New Year's Day sees him go into that really moving emotional zone for the first time. The chorus never ever fails to make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Pride - Glad to see this mentioned in several posts. There seems to be a consensus here that Bono spent the first third or so of his career screaming and shouting a lot of his vocals, and I don't think there's many, if any, tracks on which that works as well as Pride. Sounded like a stadium-filler from the first time I heard it... and while we can all agree that there's a lot of relatively lacklustre versions of Pride, I place the blame more on the band than Bono. They've rarely been able to match Bono's energy with the right pace. Edge's guitar playing has always seemed a little laboured to me.

Bad - You can hear the sincerity and the heartbreak and the seeking to understand in the verses. "I'm wide awake" moves me to tears every time I hear it. Probably his best vocal performance, I'd say, Bad.

Running to Stand Still - The way he builds the song towards its thrilling climax and manages to convey a sense of escape and relief without ever condoning taking heroin is amazing. And that final part, from 'she is raging' to 'running to stand...' is beautiful, and then he pauses just for a second, and the way he sings 'still...' is it just devastatingly beautiful.

One Tree Hill - Just want to give a shout out to the Point Depot version with the adlibbed Bonoglese. Incredible.

All I Want is You - The subject matter and the music help make Bono's vocal really special.

The Fly - Can't believe this hasn't got a mention yet. The first single after a decade of earnestness, and Bono is all hushed and gruff, and singing quicker than before. Ushered in a whole new world for the band.

So Cruel - It's not the most "experimental" (ughhh) track on Achtung Baby, but Bono's vocal easily sets this apart from any piano-heavy songs they had done in the past. He is so cutting and so acerbic, and that final "to stay with you / I'd be a fool / sweetheart / you're so cruel" has always left me with a wry smile on my face.

One - Goes without saying really. 'Do you hear us coming Lord' makes it one of the most powerful live performances of any song by anyone, ever.

Acrobat - I love this vocal. It's rushed, it's paranoid, it's defiant, and it's absolutely thrilling.

Love is Blindness - The outro especially. He's not even singing words there, just a combination of no's and da's and la's, and it literally sounds like someone's heart being ripped out.

Zooropa - What Ruckman said. After a weird scene-setting verse, Bono takes it into the stratosphere with incredibly life-affirming vocals that still manage to portray a slight sense of self-doubt.

Lemon - The only MacPhisto studio vocal, and my god, what a vocal it is. My favourite part is the way he sings the final "LEMON" as the song fades out. And his "midnight is wear the day begins" live, where he breaks with the falsetto, is really powerful too.

Stay - "STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY and the night will be enough..." I can feel tears welling as I type this.

Your Blue Room - Sexy and incredibly captivating. There's not many U2 songs sung like this.

Velvet Dress - See above.

Gone - That chorus is really hard to sing. I would know, I've tried many a time.

Please - Again, this lower register singing is not something we're all that used to from Bono. I love this particular vocal because he totally brings you into his dark world here, and that chorus lead-in, "your Catholic blues ... sermon on the mount from the boot of your car" has this brilliant anxious urgency to it.

Wake Up Dead Man - Like Please, but with that anxious urgency replaced with utter desperation. I'm not sure what effects are being used on his vocals (it sounds a little watery), if there's any at all, but it makes it sound like he's really hit the bottom, detached from reality, at his last resort. He goes from barely being able to mumble to last-ditch, hail-mary pleading towards the end.

Kite - This song holds a great deal of personal meaning for me - seeing the astounding Vertigo version, complete with my country's indigenous instrument the didgeridoo, performed live is probably the best moment of my entire life - so I'm a little biased, but Bono's vocal on this track is just fucking stellar, and I will fight anyone who disagrees. I've seen people say that others get impressed because he holds the "maaaaaan" note for a long time, and that it's not actually a great vocal, but Kite is my favourite vocal of the 00s. True passion and devotion.

In a Little While - People never hated this song until it became a regular on 360. I ended up disliking it too because there are a hundred U2 songs more deserving a slot. But I still really like the song. Very chilled out tune, and you can hear Bono's voice struggling at times. Listen to that first "if I crawl..." He infuses a lot of emotion into the song that takes it from being a very middling, average track into something much better.

City of Blinding Lights - I have to include this. It isn't a huge stretch to say that Bono's vocal in the chorus has helped make me the person I am today. I would later discover that the band has plenty of other anthemic, reach-for-the-stars type-songs, but this was the first song by anyone that has that feel to it that made me sit up and really take notice of the power of emotion in music.

No Line on the Horizon - Aside from the chorus, which is a bit of a let down, this is a great vocal from Bono. He sounds like he's got something to prove. It's not as polished as his vocals on Ordinary Love or Invisible. "I'M A TRAFFIC COP / RUE DA MARAIS!"

Fez / Being Born - You've got your anthemic Bono in the chorus being brilliantly juxtaposed with a more anxious Bono in the verses. "Head first then foot / then heart set sail..."

Back
Top Bottom