ATYCLB 20th Anniversary Box Set

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Things I am happy about:

- Regardless of the lost opportunity for something else, having the Boston show on vinyl
- having the b sides etc (especially Stateless) on vinyl
- new remixes. This period is THE WORST for U2 remixes. Everything is the same fucking Paul Oakenfold beat.
- the packaging

Things I am not happy about:

- no new demos/outtakes
- not all the b sides or single versions
- no new live material

On the whole it is quite disappointing, but not so disappointing that I won’t buy it because of the points mentioned above. This was the absolute very bottom of the barrel in terms of potential for this set - such a shame.

I'm with Dan on this. I'll add it to my collection and shed a tear since this is still an album I play all the way through... :sad:

Just noticed that none of the CD singles are completely included in this set (Elevation Tomb Raider mix, Walk On single mix, Farmclub and Popmart live songs). I understand leaving out Pop era live tracks, but at least we could have gotten the Irving Plaza show or a post 9/11 show.

I admittedly have a bit of love for this album as it was my first U2 album, so I have a number of memories attached to it.

But I already have all this stuff, sans the new remixes of course. I'm not sure who this is intended for...the die hards? Don't they already have all this stuff? The box set does admittedly look nice, but like hell I'm paying for this as I need to hold on to all the money I got these days.

The inevitable HTDAAB box set in 2024 should be a riot, stacked with a bunch of unheard Vertigo and COBL remixes to keep you busy I'm sure.

Last edited:
isn't every box set released on physical media in 2020 kinda "for the die hards"? :shrug: i can't imagine any casual fan is buying something like this from any "legacy" band unless they're a rich boomer.

Last edited:
Cannot imagine any sensible person would actually buy this. If you're dropping money on this useless collection, you have more money than sense. Nothing of any significance that any diehard doesn't already have, and as DaveC indicates, the only people dropping money on sets like this in 2020 are offensively wealthy fans to begin with. U2 could at least throw us a bone with something we don't already have, but no. It's just a grift. If you'd rather buy Larry a gold-plated toilet than pay for your own groceries, I suppose that's your own stupid fucking decision, but you might want to reconsider it.

Can a band / artist really be so out of touch or apathetic that nobody involved with creating a re-issue asks the question “what about including new or unreleased material?” Do they think punters shell out big money on a re-issue purely on the basis of nostalgia or perhaps even some weird attraction to the packaging rather than the material contained within? Surely there has to be somebody involved who gives two shits about actually providing value for money? A few bits of cardboard and some photos, hiding the lack of any new material, doesn’t cut it.

Last edited:
So I think we can agree that U2 don’t have anything in their vaults other than live shows and song ideas they want to keep for their next album, or snippets of songs they never want anybody to hear.

I seem to remember them saying, at the time, they had 24 songs and chose the 11 that made the album. Much the same was said for Htdaab.

I also imagine mdh soundtrack sessions might have yielded more than just stateless and gbhf.

Are they saving material for some big box set when they retire?

Gotta mine unused demo riffs to polish into turds like American Soul

So I think we can agree that U2 don’t have anything in their vaults other than live shows and song ideas they want to keep for their next album, or snippets of songs they never want anybody to hear.

At the very least they have alternate versions of songs. Different takes, different mixes. There's no excuse for a box set like this.

It's purely a cash grab. The only reason the remixes are there is to increase the disc count & the cost. Of course, they'll try to use them to say "See! We've always been part of dance culture!"

I have never for one second been so deluded into thinking this band has a “vault” of unreleased studio material from the 2000’s onwards. They find song writing hard these days and they scratch together a dozen or so songs roughly every 4 years and that’s it. So it’s not realistic to expect any new songs but live material and alternate versions are different. They should have done so much better with this. I hope it fails miserably sales wise.

FWIW I think the vault from previous albums is now empty due to previous re-issues. So there is no longer a vault at all. Period.

Last edited:
In terms of what they’re willing to release, yea that vault is probably empty. It’s the other vault that we keep dreaming we’ll get a peak into - alternate takes/studio jams/etc, that has to exist. We want the Salome tapes from each album/era but that unsanctioned peak into their process spooked them and they don’t seem at all interested in letting us in again (aside from a few here and there).

I’m not gonna lie, I was hoping for an alternate take of Wild Honey. I’ve always wondered if it was always the kinda raggedy tack-on outlier of the album or if it had earlier, more “straight” versions.

Clearly they're waiting until they retire to release their version of The Beatles Anthology.

Until then I guess they don't want us to see too much of how the sausage is made.

Songs that haven’t been released haven’t been released for a reason. They didn’t make the album for a reason . Even if they released all this stuff would it be any good and worth listening to ?

Even the non album stuff that was released, e.g. Big Girls Are Best, was pretty crap. All the more reason to think there is nothing else. Not for this release or any future release.

What I find most perplexing is,why not release the elevation tomb raider mix? It was huge at the time,the video was on non stop on the music channels hear in the UK. It's what got me hooked onto the band as a youngster!

Songs that haven’t been released haven’t been released for a reason. They didn’t make the album for a reason . Even if they released all this stuff would it be any good and worth listening to ?

Yes, there were reasons back then not to release certain songs. But that was then. Nowadays they would help in putting together a more complete picture of U2's work in that ear. And songs like Levitate or Flower Child show that they are worth listening to.

Even the non album stuff that was released, e.g. Big Girls Are Best, was pretty crap. All the more reason to think there is nothing else. Not for this release or any future release.

I think that track is a fun, throwaway b-side which feels like they’re being loose, trying something different. I’ve always liked it for that.

The inclusion of the “ Baby” demos made me be optimistic about our chances of seeing a bit more of this sort of stuff.

Look, if Fleetwood Mac could insert Silver Springs into the tracklist of Rumours for its remaster and make it official canon, there’s no reason U2 can’t do the same with Mercy.

Great point, off topic, but Silver Springs slays on an already perfect album

There’s a re-release of Sign O’ The Times did imminently which has 63 previously unreleased tracks including a previously unreleased 2 hour concert.

Back
Top Bottom