ATYCLB 20th Anniversary Box Set

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My ear isn’t discerning enough to really tell a difference with any remasters, to be honest with you. I’m usually in it for the bonus tracks and, in this case, it’s nothing I don’t already have. Meh.

They can’t release anything from the sessions? Early versions of songs? Something we haven’t heard before?

When it was announced U2 songs mentioned Novelty Act was actually announced as being on a. Single, and then subbed for Big Girls Are Best. I thought at the very least they’d throw us that.

They’re lazy.
Too lazy to even bother releasing shit they've already done, apparently.

Nc0b.gif

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that they release "Levitate" as a single. Push it a little. I know there's no chance they're getting a BD or Vertigo again. Or at least very little chance. However, the ATYCLB anniversary may remind people of the last time the band was truly enormous and loved in the public eye. The sound fits perfectly not only with the album, but is very fitting for the current times without being over the top or full of platitudes like Get out of your own way. Energetic, uplifting without the dreaded "Dad rawk" of American Soul. "I want a love that's hard, a love that's hard as hate..." is the key line. Of course, I've heard it before, but hearing it today was the first time I connected it to the "hard as a rock" love Bono has been talking about since the 1980s.

Plus, it's now been since the SOE promo period (American Soul on tv shows, Get out on the barge) that they've done anything that could be considered a misstep in the public eye. That was a rough patch in the middle of the I&E/JT 2017/E&I/JT 2019 period that otherwise provided a pretty decent recovery of their image from the Apple debacle.

There could be an appetite for a U2 single now.

Last edited:
Yeah - can’t disagree with any of that. It’s quite a positive message in the end and it could prove a good foil for the vitriolic political climate in the US right now. A hopeful complement to the devastating and horrific situation that forces subjugated people into protest and unrest to get basic equity and fairness. Levitate, indeed.

Anyway, nice to see Stateless with lyrics. (always heard I got no hope in this world/you can cover her world with your thumb/and the final line as hey bliss)

Stateless is arguably Bono’s last piece of great writing. He’s had some great moments since then, but they come in couplets, not in complete songs or poems like this.

My god it’s so obvious just how literal and verbose he is now when you watch this. I hope this release process is inspiring him.

Stateless is arguably Bono’s last piece of great writing. He’s had some great moments since then, but they come in couplets, not in complete songs or poems like this.

My god it’s so obvious just how literal and verbose he is now when you watch this. I hope this release process is inspiring him.

He’s definitely in need of an editor AND cringe meter, but I haven’t minded the more literal bent *when* the songs have been tight enough to work. The Miracle is IMO a great lyric that suffers from dumb production; I much prefer the acoustic version that makes it more about the story than the sound, almost like a folk song. Raised By Wolves, The Little Things, Invisible, Reach Around (cough) - these all work. Increasingly exceptions, mind you. And I say this as someone who typically prefers the brooding, poetic mode of the band. Just wait for the Bomb anniversary box when we get to shake our heads at “Smile” as a bonus track and “Crumbs” as an album cut.

I’m aware of what they did .

I meant actually push it a little. On all the streaming devices. On radio. On U2 x radio. Do some interviews where you push it, etc, etc. A small campaign.

He’s definitely in need of an editor AND cringe meter, but I haven’t minded the more literal bent *when* the songs have been tight enough to work. The Miracle is IMO a great lyric that suffers from dumb production; I much prefer the acoustic version that makes it more about the story than the sound, almost like a folk song. Raised By Wolves, The Little Things, Invisible, Reach Around (cough) - these all work. Increasingly exceptions, mind you. And I say this as someone who typically prefers the brooding, poetic mode of the band. Just wait for the Bomb anniversary box when we get to shake our heads at “Smile” as a bonus track and “Crumbs” as an album cut.

Yeah, I think it's hyperbolic to claim that Stateless is his last great bit of writing. They've made some baffling production/arrangement choices in the last 20 years, but if we're going to judge him solely on lyrics we can't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Also, those pictures on the previous page are truly disturbing. I sure hope they retire before it gets to that.

Yeah, I think it's hyperbolic to claim that Stateless is his last great bit of writing. They've made some baffling production/arrangement choices in the last 20 years, but if we're going to judge him solely on lyrics we can't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Also, those pictures on the previous page are truly disturbing. I sure hope they retire before it gets to that.

It’s hard to think of too many complete songs that would qualify. Sure it is probably possible to find things that are really good, but something changed in his style and this appears to be the moment. Stateless is closer to Streets or WOWY or Bad than anything after it. And I say this as someone who has been well and truely on the side of apologising for the bands 2000s+ missteps, rather than criticising.

Has things he’s written since been great?
Sure, at times. But there’s a stylistic magic that has been so exceptionally rare in that time. The best examples have some cringe about them that breaks the 4th wall at some point.

Moment of Surrender is close. City of Blinding Lights is close. Reach Around, the Troubles, LIAWHL, Little Things and 13 are close.

I suppose I’m trying to say that there is an effortless quality I haven’t seen throughout a complete song since then. And it’s like he adds words to fill silences in a forced attempt to be prophetic rather than letting his poetry stand in its own greatness.

And it’s like he adds words to fill silences in a forced attempt to be prophetic rather than letting his poetry stand in its own greatness.

Yeah, he has been clunky. Not to mention needlessly singing over the band when they’re tapping into something, like the Little Things crescendo.

Why is this so much more expensive on Amazon?! I don't like it when convenience costs me considerably more money.

There's always an appetite for U2 amongst white folks ages 35 and up.

It's the ones aged 35 and down where there is still no appetite and never will be again.

In 5 years move that up to 40.

They're old, we're old, and that's okay.

I’m 34 so I’m against your theory [emoji2]

Back
Top Bottom