2010 remasters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
as for ZOOROPA! Now there's an album that deserves a 3-disc deluxe set. :hmm:

ALSO - once Rattle and Hum's out. What are the chances of a 1984-1988/whatever box coming out to house the 2-disc remasters.

However nice an idea it is to wait for the 20th anniversary of Achtung Baby as well, I fucking HOPE TO GOD they don't put it off that late.

Hope hard, I'm thinking. I'd rather not wait either. But the remaster program started off with JT in 2007 and if it bookended with AB in 2011, that's a five year span and a tidy wrap up.

2007 - JT box set - 20th Anniversary
2008 - "basic remasters" - Boy, Oct, War, UABRS
2009 - TUF box set - 25th Anniversary
2010 - "basic remasters" - R&H, Zooropa, Pop; ATYCLB maybe?
2011 - AB box set - 20th Anniversary

So, I dunno what they'll do for RAH, really depends on how far they go down the Lovetown route, but for Zooropa, I hope there's a chance for the Adelaide DVD. There's a few cheesy effects, but it's at least as good as Sydney in a lot of ways. Not least of all the best Dirty Day and great performances of Bullet, Lemon and MW.

Also, I want an official U2 product that says "Adelaide" on it.

I completely agree. For instance, I feel the encore at Adelaide was probably better than the performance in Sydney. It is probably a better representation of MacPhisto too. :up:

R&H is the remaster that I'm looking forward to the most, the potential is huge.
Surely everybody's holy grail is a lovetown DVD.
We know they filmed Sydney, is there any hard evidence that the Point was filmed in 89?
I know we have the first 2 songs, but aren't they just pit cams for news crews?

I need to know if it is even POTENTIALLY possible?! :hyper::hyper:

How? What extra material do they have to work with?

There's probably not enough for a 3-disc set, but there might be versions of "Wake Up Dead Man," "Velvet Dress" and HMTMKMKM from the Zooropa era since those titles can be seen in the digital interference on the album cover. Plus the various remixes of "Lemon" and "Numb." Perhaps some stuff from Melon as well? I wonder if the remixes of "Dirty Day" that were used as Pop b-sides would fit on the Pop remaster or the Zooropa one. And no disrespect to Johnny Cash, but I'd still like a version of The Wanderer with Bono on vocals. The version they did on the Johnny Cash tribute broadcast is awesome.

How? What extra material do they have to work with?

Plenty. They started recording every show during the Josh Tree tour and filming every one starting with Zoo TV (or lovetown?). So they could easily do a DVD. Bonus audio disk:

Melon
HMTMKMKM
Wanderer Bono Vocals
Session demos
B-sides: Slow Dancing, I've Got You Under My Skin, Love Is Blindness (Live), BTBS (Live)
Stay (Wim Wenders mix - whatever its called)
Take your pick of a slew of live tracks; Zooropa from Wembly would be nice

But anyway, tons of material.

There's probably not enough for a 3-disc set, but there might be versions of "Wake Up Dead Man," "Velvet Dress" and HMTMKMKM from the Zooropa era since those titles can be seen in the digital interference on the album cover. Plus the various remixes of "Lemon" and "Numb." Perhaps some stuff from Melon as well? I wonder if the remixes of "Dirty Day" that were used as Pop b-sides would fit on the Pop remaster or the Zooropa one. And no disrespect to Johnny Cash, but I'd still like a version of The Wanderer with Bono on vocals. The version they did on the Johnny Cash tribute broadcast is awesome.
Wanderer with Bono vocal is THE song I'm looking forward to hearing someday, when there was a talk about a box set awhile back I figured we'd hear this, but this would work even better :drool:

Plenty. They started recording every show during the Josh Tree tour and filming every one starting with Zoo TV (or lovetown?). So they could easily do a DVD. Bonus audio disk:

Melon
HMTMKMKM
Wanderer Bono Vocals
Session demos
B-sides: Slow Dancing, I've Got You Under My Skin, Love Is Blindness (Live), BTBS (Live)
Stay (Wim Wenders mix - whatever its called)
Take your pick of a slew of live tracks; Zooropa from Wembly would be nice

But anyway, tons of material.

Yes but in keeping with the 3 disc format we have going now it doesn't seem likely. They barely have enough for the second bonus disc without live songs. We already have ZooTV and the videos on DVD. I just don't see them putting a third disc just so fans could get another zooTV show, especially if they plan on doing one for AB.

I took the third disk to mean the dvd. If they didn't do 3 audio disks for JT, they won't for Zooropa. Though, maybe they'll release another show on iTunes or something. Dublin would be nice.

I took the third disk to mean the dvd. If they didn't do 3 audio disks for JT, they won't for Zooropa. Though, maybe they'll release another show on iTunes or something. Dublin would be nice.

I know that's why I said I don't think they'll do a third disc just so fans can get another ZooTV show, I was talking about a DVD.

while i'd love to hear IGWSHA and WUDM (Zooropa versions), i'd be afraid that i'd like them more than the POP versions, thus taking away for my love of POP.

Yes, but this raises an interesting question. There would be no need for a third audio CD for JT because everything from that era easily fit on one bonus disc. But starting around the time of Achtung Baby, U2 started commissioning a ton of dance remixes for their songs. By the time you get to Pop, there are like 10 mixes of Discotheque alone, not to mention various mixes of all the other tracks. If the AB, Zooropa and Pop remasters are to include the "complete" set of mixes and b-sides, they'd need at least three audio CDs for each, if not more.

I don't think this will happen, though. I think they'll pick and choose from the various mixes and just offer a few on a single bonus disc. That's fine with me. I have no desire to listen to this all on one bonus CD, for example:

Discothèque (12" Version) (5:08)
Discothèque (DM Deep Club Mix) (7:00)
Discothèque (Howie B Hairy B Mix) (7:39)
Discothèque (Hexidecimal Mix) (7:21)
Discothèque (DM TEC Radio Mix) (3:45)
Discothèque (DM Deep Instrumental Mix) (6:58)
Discothèque (DM Deep Extended Club Mix) (10:04)
Discothèque (David Holmes Mix) (6:14)
Discothèque (DM Deep Beats Mix) (3:59)
Discothèque (Radio Edit) (4:34)

And here`s hoping that R&H or AB will include Wild Irish Rose:drool:
And would Night And Day original version be on R&H or AB?

Cheers ,

Mauwer

It would ber very nice to see a Zoo TV tour dvd (from the early part of the tour when it was indoors) on the Achtung Baby set///with the small B stage and the mirrorball rotating trabant above it

yeah i meant DVD as well. would be great to have another dvd of stuff. not necessarily an entire show.

by the way

PASSENGERS, people!!

:wink:

R&H is the remaster that I'm looking forward to the most, the potential is huge.
Surely everybody's holy grail is a lovetown DVD.
We know they filmed Sydney, is there any hard evidence that the Point was filmed in 89?
I know we have the first 2 songs, but aren't they just pit cams for news crews?

I need to know if it is even POTENTIALLY possible?! :hyper::hyper:

The entire Lovetown NYE show was pro-filmed by the band even though they couldn't secure a deal for a live tv broadcast. I believe very brief snippits of other footage from that show (notably bits of God Pt II and When Love Comes To Town) has shown up in several U2 documentaries over the years.

I agree the Lovetown tour and Rattle and Hum album and video is a huge goldmine of b-sides, unreleased songs, demos, live tracks and live footage.

The tracks which are a sure thing to make the 2nd cd include:

Desire (Hollywood Remix)
God Part II (Hard Metal Dance Mix)
Hallelujah Here She Comes
A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel
Unchained Melody
Everlasting Love
Dancing Barefoot (Long Version)
All I Want Is You (Edited shorter version)
Love Rescue Me (Live - London, October 16, 1988)

This leave room for about 3 - 6 more tracks. I don't really think any of the other few remaining remixes would be neccessary, but looking at the "War" remaster with the multiple redundant remixes of the singles, I could easily be wrong.

Likely, U2 would continue the trend of revisiting at least one demo from this period and finishing it with new vocals, etc for this reissue. Ideally, imo, the rest of the tracks would be live cuts from throughout the tour that weren't representative of the NYE Point Depot show including:

Hawkmoon 269
In Gods Country (acoustic intro version)
The Unforgettable Fire
All I Want Is You (full version)
She's a Mystery to Me
Two Hearts Beat As One
Out Of Control

They absolutely need to include a live dvd of the complete NYE show in a 2cd/1dvd box and perhaps even highlights of other songs from throughout the tour on the dvd as bonus tracks like Hawkmoon. Not included a full show from this tour which many fans regard as U2 at their *musical* peak would be among the biggest missed opportunities of the remasters campaign.

T.B.

yeah i meant DVD as well. would be great to have another dvd of stuff. not necessarily an entire show.

by the way

PASSENGERS, people!!

:wink:

I would love to see a Passengers 2-CD reissue, but I doubt it will happen, unfortunately.

If it DID happen, is there enough stuff to fill up the bonus disc? There is:
1. Miss Sarajevo (Single Edit)
2. One (Live in Modena)
3. Bottoms (Zoo Station Remix)
4. Viva Davidoff
5. Your Blue Room (Edit)
6. Always Forever Now (Heat soundtrack version)

And that's it, right?

I'm sure there are some more freaky U2/Eno experiments from this period, and I'd love to hear them.

Also, it's possible they might include a couple of mixes of Larry and Adam's "Mission Impossible" theme, in the same way they included the remix of "Tomorrow" that featured only Bono and Adam on the October reissue.

Yes, but this raises an interesting question. There would be no need for a third audio CD for JT because everything from that era easily fit on one bonus disc. But starting around the time of Achtung Baby, U2 started commissioning a ton of dance remixes for their songs.

Plus the live stuff. Hasta La Vista, Baby is still considered really rare, that's easily a third disk for the Pop box. Though, I really don't think there's going to be a big box for Pop.

I would love to see a Passengers 2-CD reissue, but I doubt it will happen, unfortunately.

2. One (Live in Modena)
4. Viva Davidoff
5. Your Blue Room (Edit)

And that's it, right?

I'm sure there are some more freaky U2/Eno experiments from this period, and I'd love to hear them.

Also, it's possible they might include a couple of mixes of Larry and Adam's "Mission Impossible" theme, in the same way they included the remix of "Tomorrow" that featured only Bono and Adam on the October reissue.

They'd probably put HMTMKMKM on the bonus disc along with a previously-unfinished song from the sessions and some of the overwhelming amount of outtakes from the Pax sessions that Eno said exists.

There's brief pro-shot footage of 1989-12-30 show on some easter egg buried deep within the ZooTV Sydney bonus disc. I believe I remember seeing an additional pro-shot camera boom in the picture during it. The footage was from Bono's "dream it all up again" speech, before LRM, in the encore, which suggests to me that at least that whole show was filmed.

Richard Lowenstein's Lovetown doco that pops up occasionally on "rage" (ABC-TV show) here in Australia is about 30 mins long. This could easily fit as bonus material on the Rattle & Hum DVD, along with maybe some outtakes that didn't make the film.

I wouldn't be surprised to get a 2-disk remaster of the CD with the standard album plus:

1. Jesus Christ (from A Vision Shared)
2. This Land is Your Land (from A Vision Shared)
3. She's A Mystery Girl (from Sun Studios)
4. Hallelujah Here She Comes
5. A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel
6. Unchained Melody
7. Everlasting Love
8. Dancing Barefoot (Long Version)
9. Love Rescue Me (Live with Zigg Marley)
10. Desire (Hollywood Remix)
11. God Part II (Hard Metal Dance Mix)
12. God Part II (Hard Metal Dance Club Mix)
13. Love Comes to Town (Live from the Kingdom Mix)

And then the "deluxe" DVD (with Lowenstein's footage) as a separate but simultaneous re-release.

When U2 re-master RAH, they're fucking braindead if they don't put the studio versions of Wild Irish Rose and She's A Mystery To Me (especially the former) on the second CD.

I'm excited for whatever we get, but damn I can't wait for AB's 20th, there's no way they don't include a good number of the outtakes, remastered and official, :drool:. Anything else is just extra awesomeness.

I don't know what we'll see if there was to be an ATYCLB rerelease, we know the b-sides, but what about stuff that never surfaced? When do they let go and let us hear some of it, probably not yet as they could always borrow from and/or revisit material from that era.

Richard Lowenstein's Lovetown doco that pops up occasionally on "rage" (ABC-TV show) here in Australia is about 30 mins long. This could easily fit as bonus material on the Rattle & Hum DVD, along with maybe some outtakes that didn't make the film.

I wouldn't be surprised to get a 2-disk remaster of the CD with the standard album plus:

6. Unchained Melody
7. Everlasting Love

And then the "deluxe" DVD (with Lowenstein's footage) as a separate but simultaneous re-release.

Sounds very unexciting, but probably the most accurate description of what will happen...:|

2. One (Live in Modena)
4. Viva Davidoff
5. Your Blue Room (Edit)

And that's it, right?

You can also add Miss Sarajevo (Live in Modena) to that list.

This seems quite likely. Maybe also some solo stuff Bono did on various tribute albums. Plus some other stuff from the Passengers sessions.

The tracks which are a sure thing to make the 2nd cd include:

Desire (Hollywood Remix)
God Part II (Hard Metal Dance Mix)
Hallelujah Here She Comes
A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel
Unchained Melody
Everlasting Love
Dancing Barefoot (Long Version)
All I Want Is You (Edited shorter version)
Love Rescue Me (Live - London, October 16, 1988)

You forgot When Love Comes To Town (Live From The Kingdom Mix)

6. Unchained Melody
7. Everlasting Love

U2 never performed this one: 2. This Land is Your Land (from A Vision Shared)
And All I Want Is You (Edit) is not on that list.

There's brief pro-shot footage of 1989-12-30 show on some easter egg buried deep within the ZooTV Sydney bonus disc. I believe I remember seeing an additional pro-shot camera boom in the picture during it. The footage was from Bono's "dream it all up again" speech, before LRM, in the encore, which suggests to me that at least that whole show was filmed.

I'm wondering if that's really pro-shot footage of the 30 December show. Yes, it is footage of a Lovetown show. And you hear Bono's 'Dreaming it all up again...' speech. But maybe the audio is from a different source than the video.

I said this a while back but I think its such a good idea I'm gonna repeat it :D

For a second ZOO TV concert DVD why not have it spanning the whole tour in some way whilst still encompassing the basic setlist. Something like this -

(1st Leg - Indoor Tour)
Zoo Station
The Fly
EBTTRT
Mysterious Ways
One - She's a Mystery To Me
(Outside Broadcast Tour)
Until the End of the World
New Year's Day
TTTYAATW
When Love Comes To Town
Satellite Of Love
(Zooropa Tour)
Bad - All I Want Is You
BTBS
RTSS
Streets
Pride
------
Desire
Ultra Violet
(Zoomerang Tour)
WOWY
Love is Blindness
CAn't help falling in love

Imagine them all seguing together nicely throughout the gig.

You don't think they'd *gulp* "finish" pop for the remaster do you? More Best-Of type remixes and call it the official album?

Kind like the Star Wars Special Editions with the added CGI crap.

Half the album has already been done, so they'd only have to remix DYFL, Mofo, Miami, Playboy Mansion, Velvet Dress and WUDM

I'd personally hate to see this (at least as the main disk. A bonus disk would be ok), but it just strikes me this morning as not outside the realm of possibility.

Back
Top Bottom